Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
MagicJ's 4x2x2 Reef
Introduction:
After keeping a small tropical freshwater tank for a number of years, I started up my first marine aquarium in August 1999. This was a second hand 4x2x2 with a built in skimmer, wet/dry filter etc. The lack of a sump soon proved too much, and I purchased a new 4x2x2 with corner overflow in June 2002. This tank progressed well until 2006 when it was emptied to enable a house renovation to be completed - with two kids and an interstate move, the tank has remained empty until now.

This was a picture of the old tank taken in 2004 (loved the Rose BTA - I think I paid about $50 at the time) :

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_FTS_Old_Tank.jpg

This is how it look after SW was added - a bit of aquascaping still to be completed:

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_FTS_080111.jpg

System Objectives: Create an environment that my corals and fish will be happy with and to introduce my daughter (4 1/2) to aquariums - she insists on getting a 'Dory' but I don't like her chances
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_nono.gif

After having used Reeflections as my LFS in Melbourne I am going to struggle a bit in Hobart. We have a very limited local supply, and our quarantine laws makes mail order difficult - at least it should stop any impulse buys
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_icon_mrgreen.gif

System Type: Mixed Reef - I have mainly kept LPS and softies in the past but would like to try some SPS once the tank matures.

Display System:

Strike up Date: 18 December 2010

Display Tank: 4x2x2

Display Lighting: DIY LED's (previously 2 x 250w MH)

Stand: Hand made clad with blackwood, the same as our flooring

Hood: Hand made, currently using my old hood but will make a new one when I build a new LED system.

Sump: 30x15x12 with 3 partitions (skimmer, refugium and return).

Support systems:

System Water: Natural salt water - collected from Roches Beach

Display Water circulation: 3 x JVP 5000 L/h - will do until I can afford something better

Return Pump: Aqua One 2200 L/h

Skimmer: Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi SL - not a bad skimmer but probably doesn't compare to current models. I will look to upgrade in the next 12 months.

Evaporation Top Up: Currently manual but will be converted to auto shortly when I finish my Arduino based controller.

Chemical Support:

Calcium Addition: TBD

Alkilinity Addition: TBD

Current Water Chemistry: 21 January 2011
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10ppm
Phosphates: Not tested
Alkalinity: Not tested
Calcium: Not tested
Salinity / Specific Gravity:
Magnesuim:

Controller

I have almost finished programming my Arduino based controller, which controls all the electrical equipment on the tank - I will provide more detail in a post shortly.

Attachments

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
mate cant wait to see this grown in. is the first pic with the new DIY led lights installed?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
No, that was with 2 x 250w MH - I think they were 14k globes. The LED's are a bit bluer - this photo shows this LED combination (left) compared to a 14k AMD MH (right):

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_LEDvMH_1.jpg

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
do you like that colour temp? i much prefer alot bluer then that. if i made a diy id have to go like 4B per 1 W. and dimable whites!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Yes, I probably prefer it a bit bluer as well.

Once I get my new hood finished and am able to lower the LED's I will have a play around with the different strings and perhaps knock the whites back a bit.

The benefit of DIY means that these things are infinitely variable.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
id love to see some pics and details of your leds - did you save much by going diy?
Hi Jonathon

I plan on doing a new post covering the LED build in the not to distant future - hopefully over the weekend sometime.

Short answer to your question - probably not :confused: But you do get what you want, with higher quality components and the ability to change things if required.

Stay tuned....

Attachments

marineclass

Jul 12, 2011
Gold Coast
ill be watching! if colour and growth is as good as t5's, i think they are much better value in the long run - just much more of an outlay - looking forward to it mate

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Mate best of luck with your LED build. Look forward to more LED users out there too. This technology has been around for a long time and is well proven, stick to the LED combos that are proven as well as dont be afraid to throw a bit of cyan into the mix.....

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Thanks Chris - that is actually covering my return pipe which is drilled through the base of the tank.

Hopefully I will get some current pictures up over the weekend.

Hey magic Are you going to put a black pane befind the tank? Nice aquascape. It will definitely be eye appealing when it's stacked with corals and teeming with coralline algea and critters.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
what dosing liquid have you been using? i use the red sea reef foundation a b c liquids

Updated FTS?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Randy's recipe - due to measure calc, alk and mag tomorrow and adjust the dosed amounts if required.

Hope to get some pictures up tomorrow or Sunday.