Tank Journal Archive

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Maybe when your morphs spread , We could do a swap one day ?,
What about me ;)
I am sure we can organise something when I actually have something to trade :)

Two things to report.

The remaining forest fire morph frag (I lost the rest in the tank somewhere :() is growing quite good and would now be around 15mm diameter - I am confident that I will be able propogate this in the future.
The new green morph from Matt had a couple of babies on the bottom of the rock. They were both white, probably from being in the dark. I removed one yesterday and glued it onto a plug and it is now safely in a seperate container in the tank. Hopefully, this one will become my stock for more propogating.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Are they the Fluro green morphs ? If so they really take off ,I wont be far away from getting rid of a couple .
I'm always keen to swap if i have anything spare :)

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I only have one - I might bite the bullet in the next few weeks a take a razor blade to it. These morphs are a bit harder to propogate than the ordinary mushrooms as they tend to have a large foot which makes them a bit harder to remove from the rock.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Just a quick update with some pictures of the frags I have added over the last couple of months.

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Coral11.jpg

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Coral8.jpg

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Coral7.jpg

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Coral2.jpg

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Dallas_1.jpg

I will put new pics up in a few weeks to show how they have (hopefully) grown.

Whilst it is a bit like watching grass grow, I enjoy the challenge of growing frags.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
neither do mine. i havent been getting quick growth rates in my new setup although my colours are going great

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Here's an updated picture of my monti frag - the left was taken 28/6/11 the right tonight. The colour has lightened up a bit but happy with the growth in 6 weeks.

ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Monti.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The monti is supposed to be a plating variety.
Will be leaving to go to the airport soon to pick up some more corals - this is equivalent to you guys going to the LFS :D

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Got my new corals settled into the tank yesterday:

Goniastrea sp Green-eye Brain - this really glows under the blue LED's
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Favites.jpg

Favites sp Moon Coral
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Goniastrea.jpg

Micromussa amakusensis Volcano Brain Coral
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Micromussa.jpg

Seriatopora hystrix Bird Nest
This came as quite a large piece which we decided to share by cutting it in half - at 10.30pm in the carpark of the local hardware shop, with a hacksaw;). Luckily the police did not come to visit as we probably looked very suspicious.

When I looked at my piece yesterday, I found a large dead section on one side and many broken pieces around the edges so I decided to frag the lot. I put together a rock with 3 of the larger sections (as shown below) together with about 10 smaller frags on plugs which will be available for trading in the future.
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Birdsnest.jpg

Also found this guy, who has now been returned to his home in the birdsnest
ai538.photobucket.com_albums_ff341_ShaneJ05_Crab1.jpg

Thanks for looking :D