Reef Discussion

Chema

Jan 27, 2013
Mine is also already running. My set up consists of 6 heatsinks wit a total of 51 royal blue Cree, driven by 4 LDD-1000, 36 Philips Luxeon neutral white, driven by 3 LDD-1000, 24 Semileds true violet, driven by 2 LDD-700, and 9 OCW stars each composed of 1 Philips Luxeon deep red, 1 Philips Luxeon cyan and 1 Philips Luxeon true blue, driven by 2 LDD-700. The Cree royal blue have 80 degrees lenses, the OCW stars have no lenses, and the other LEDs have 90 degree lenses. Total number of LEDs: 138; total number of LDDs: 11.

The fixture lights a 500 l reef tank. I'm really happy with the new color of the tank, nothing to do with the former whitish produced by the royal blue-cool whites of my former LEDs fixture.

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Well,

Here's a iPhone Pic of how I have mounted mine.

IMG_0762.JPG

In the home made case with the Meanwell PSU. The little blue box is an adjustable DC -> DC step down (converts the 48v from the PSU to anything (I have it at 9v) to run the fans (today's job is to wire the fans in).

And here's a closer pic of how the 2 boards are mounted, one on the other. (the bottom on is populated with all 5 drivers)

IMG_0763.JPG

Basically drilled the holes in the pine (slightly undersized) and "pressed" the hex nuts in.

Whole assembly pulls out if required.

Chema

Jan 27, 2013
Thank you Synodontis and Gordon. The fixture is working nicely now. Dawn and sunset are really gorgeous, both regulated from and to 0, thanks to an Arduino UNO and the LDD drivers. Much better than with my old Meanwell HLG power supplies.

Now I'm slowly increasing the percentages of lightning and waiting to see the response of the corals. Concerning the colors, first thing to say is that the big Sarco to the left of the tank has a real greenish color that I had not seen before. Also, yellows and reds and much vivid than they were before. One of the main objectives of the project was to get a nicer light tone in the aquarium, less whitish, and that I have got it.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I'm now looking for a PS.
Are these being used by anyone else? (without having to call the firebrigade)
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/48V-7-5A...Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3f0bcf024f

I need 48v/ 2.75Amps / 85 watts.
Has anyone found something else that will do these specs?
Dave, I purchased one similar to this - hopefully the fire brigade won't be required.

For your requirements though, I might be tempted by something like this

http://www.power-supplies-australia.com.au/desk-and-wall-power-adapters/gs160a - 48v, 3.3A and 160w - I think @macca_75 got one like this for less than $100.

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
It's might seem like a dumb question.
With the old drivers I was able to turn each string on or off to see how each string looked.
With the new setup and all the strings being powered by the same unit, will I be able to put on/off switches on each of the strings without effecting the power to the other strings?