Reef Discussion

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
I thought I would throw a couple of pics up of my finished LDD setup, in case no-one sees my TJ.

Everything fits in a draw under the tank, but takes up a lot less room than the previous drivers etc.

photo-1.jpg
I put a small fan over the LDD's to keep them nice and cool. I also put a connector plug (bottom right) on the line to the LEDs so that they can be easily disconnected.
photo-2.jpg
This is the finished unit with a cover over the arduino bits so I keep my fingers out of the wiring.
photo-3.jpg
Just simple LCD screen on the front so I can easily see how the lights are cycling.

Anyone else finished their setup? Pics?

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
Looks nice and tidy :worship

My LDD's and boards are still sitting in there mail packaging right next to me here at work, havent even looked at them. Contemplating swapping to T5's for a while.

Apr 2, 2013
Very nice Dave, any details on the controller setup? Do you find the LDDs getting warm or is the fan a precaution?

Cheers Glenn

Apr 2, 2013
Gordon, there are pins that we use at work, they provide a pins like the thru pins used on PCBs but they are nickel coated and they simply crimp on, after that it terminates into the screw terminals perfectly.

Just thought I would mention that so others can try them, easier than soldering the pins to the wires.

Cheers Glenn

Apr 2, 2013
There you go, never had to buy them myself, most places I worked at had them around.

Hopefully not to expensive as they are really good. I use them all the time.

Cheers Glenn

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Very nice Dave, any details on the controller setup? Do you find the LDDs getting warm or is the fan a precaution?

Cheers Glenn
I put the fan over the drivers just as a precaution mainly, they did seem to get reasonably warm under full load. The fan over the drivers is on the same circuit as the fan on the LED heatsink so they are both cooled as they come up in temperature.

Gordon

Jan 29, 2013
Casula
Hi guys

In the spirit of sharing I just wanted to share an email I got yesterday which may be of interest to some people. I won't be changing my set up but if your starting fresh it may be worth looking at.

Email read:

Hi Gordon,

We just wanted to send a quick email to let you know that our new Dimmable Onyx unit is currently on pre-sale! These units have 3 separate colors/channels of control: royal blue, cool white, and mixed (red/green/UV). The fixture requires a 0-10V controller with 3 channels of control such as an Apex/VDM or analog Reef Angel with dimming expansion, or you can use 3 potentiometers and a 10V adapter for manual dimming. For those that don’t have a controller yet don’t worry, the lights will still turn on and run at 100% intensity without anything plugged in. For more information and for wiring accessories please take a look here: http://www.rapidled.com/full-fixtures/

Units are expected to ship the week of May 20th so get your order in now! Please feel free to email us with any questions and we’ll be glad to help answer them.

Thank you as always for your continued support!

Regards,
The Rapid LED Team
www.rapidled.com
www.twitter.com/rapidled

Hope this is of interest to some.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I got the same email :)

Just for interest sake, these are the leds used in each unit:
  • 14 CREE XT-E Royal Blue
  • 8 CREE XP-G Cool White
  • 4 Violet UV
  • 1 CREE XP-E Green
  • 1 Oslon 660nm Red

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
For everyone waiting on the 1000H LDD's, they should be arriving on the 28th May so a little earlier then expected.
The balance of the 700H LDD's were sorted out today & we should get them delivered to us by this Friday.
Still waiting on the 350H & 500H LDD's.
:)