Tank Journal Archive

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Ha! Found Amphipods on my zoas!! By complete accident- knocked my 'issues' frag and bang there they are! Well that explains why my polyps havent been opening on that one frag. Doing a FW dip as I dont have any dip products. I dont know how long but I think @chimaera, you recommended 60 seconds so ill see how that goes.

1x 60s FW dip
SHAKE
1x 60s NSW
SHAKE
1x 60s FW dip
SHAKE
1x 60s NSW
SHAKE

Got off 2x amphipods. Theres 2 more under some zoas but unfortunately those zoas arent on a frag plug- they're just attached to the eggcrate so probably have to wait on those ones to move on. Is 2-4 a significant number to cause irritation?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
To be honest I have dozens of amphipods running around my zoas and no issues ... but I have read before that some people believe their amphipods were bothering or even eating their zoas, so not sure to be honest.

I noticed a large amphipod was bothering my red goni once - spotted it running over the goni and it retracting then staying retracted for hours afterwards. Issue went away with the new Hawkfish though ;)

Amphipods generally are beneficial to your aquarium as they clean detritus, so I wouldn't go on a hunt to wipe them out completely. Maybe try the frag up on the egg crate where they are less likely to hang out (unless it is there already?)?

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Amphipods generally are beneficial to your aquarium as they clean detritus, so I wouldn't go on a hunt to wipe them out completely. Maybe try the frag up on the egg crate where they are less likely to hang out (unless it is there already?)?
Frag is already up on the egg crate.

I wont actively hunt them out but if i catch them on the frags they're gone. My polyps are almost fully open after than FW dip so can't do them much harm obviously :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Frag is already up on the egg crate.

I wont actively hunt them out but if i catch them on the frags they're gone. My polyps are almost fully open after than FW dip so can't do them much harm obviously :)
That's good! They also sometimes get some kind of bacteria or film on them which a dip can remove, so hopefully they will now be better!

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Thought I'd post a pic of the baby head my hammer has produced... Brings this particular hammer up to 10 heads!!! When I got this guy a year ago he only had 5, this hobby is so exciting and rewarding :D
IMG_0781.JPG

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
So excited think I'll post more pics!!

These two are touching and have been for the past week or so- safe? Oh and some zoas hopped down the the bottom LR (top left cnr)

IMG_0790.JPG

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Clown is kind of hosting a couple hammers.. But she tends to nip at one in particular- the gold tip hammer in the above pic (2nd bottom). Got her in the act but pic is blurred!

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Haven't posted anything for a little while so thought I was overdue for an update!!

New:
- 4x zoa frags (no idea on names but i like them, not as nice as my first 3 frags but still pretty to look at and thats all that matters)
- Moved a couple hammers around. Mottled hammer on top of LR (right side of tank), blue hammer now where mottled was. Both seem pretty damn happy about the move and that makes me happy :)
- Decided to stick with just the solo Picasso- don't want to risk adding a second incase they don't get on

Concern:
- purple hammer doesn't seem to be doing too well. In the photos below you can see that its all retracted. It still comes out but not often. I think it's getting swamped by the other (bigger) hammers around it. I keep trying to prop it up more so it gets more light/flow which seems to work for a bit. Think I'll have to move it entirely though to make it happy..

Haven't bothered testing water parameters in a while.. Well apart from SG for when I top up. Still using Reef Plus for corals and Reef Carbonate for alkalinity.

Going away to Africa for a month next Friday so I'm so concerned about leaving the tank in my mothers care. Has been running for 11 months now and I am just so happy with how everything has progressed. What ever happens will happen. Will set out basic instructions for care. She has looked after my tank previously but only for a week at most, 3.5 weeks is going to be a test. But I'm just lucky to have someone willing to check and perform basic maintenance work which is much appreciated :)

Tango is such an attention seeking photobomber.. Hounding me to feed her haha. These pics taken 30mins ago :)

Side view:
IMG_0950.JPG

Frag rack!! Fire and Ice (?) zoas moving onto egg crate!
IMG_0951.JPG

Hammers
IMG_0959.JPG

Love my Cyanarina <3 Just added Reef Plus for a feed :)
IMG_0965.JPG

OK, this is my concerning purple hammer- you can see it retracted in the centre there... All other hammers are fine
IMG_0964.JPG