Tank Journal Archive

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
I'm missing some of my green zoas now so theres obviously still some zoa predator in my tank :( I really don't know what it could be... I stayed up late the other night and did midnight checks but only discovered those 2 cowry snails.. It's super depressing, especially after I put down my turbo- still laughing at myself about that!

Came home to find the lobo had been knocked off the LR and onto my cyanrina. Cyanrina has a damaged spot but should bounce back pretty quickly. Lobo looking worse for wear but it should recover well too.. Already looks happier now that I've moved it back onto it's rock :)

Will search for a friend for the clown soon. What would a good match for a Picasso be? I'm thinking Snowflake or mis-barred occy- thoughts?

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
i think a stake out is in order. a cup of coffee with the lights out and a flashlight should do the trick :P
as with the clowns, mixing different types is not recommended. not too sure aggression wise as to the ones you want to add in. @dr_schell would definitely be able to help you out. for a green tree frog, he sure knows a heck of a lot! :P

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
In my experience, you should not mix clown species. However, mixing different varieties of the same species will not cause issues. Please obtain the clowns as a pair, or pair a relatively large individule with a relatively small individule. This will e.sure compatability

Reactions: MTG

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Smaller is better. If small enough it will be neither male or female and will pair with the existing fish
That's what I'll be gunning for :)

What do people think of the Ocean Nutrition Formula One? Was recommended to me today for corals and fish. I currently use Reef Plus for corals and I have frozen mysis shrimp and some left over Nutrifin Max pellets for fish...

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
prepared foods are generally better in terms of concentrated nutrients that less potential to pollute the water. However, that said, many (myself included) like to give their fish a variety of frost foods as well.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Just went and collected a reverse stem hammer and 3 blasto polyps. Currently settling in nicely.

I've been hearing clicking in my tank recently. First I thought it was just me hearing things but no definitely some clicking going on :(
Only 1-2 clicks at a time. Im thinking Pistol Shrimp because of that but knowing my luck it'll be a Mantis. Havent had the pleasure of seeing it yet. How can I go about catching it?

'Tango' is well and truly happy in her new home. She isn't hosting anything as yet but does spend some time around my wavemaker so maybe she'll be one of 'those' clowns..

Think I've fixed the frag rack issue, got magnet holding it up now so should be sweeeet :) Don't seem to have lost any more zoa polyps but I'll give it a couple weeks to see. If no more losses I'll be getting some new frags :)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
LOL
That's cute!!

@Louise01 - I hear the same: random clicking in both of our tanks, but only ever one or two clicks at a time. I had dismissed out Trochus snails bc they usually do a "click-a, click-a, click-a" as they shake their little rumps against the glass. But we've seen no signs of a mantis or pistol...
Anyway, while cleaning the tanks the other week Les SWEARS that he watched one of our Turbos making a clicking noise by scraping its shell against a rock repeatedly ,as well as a Trochus doing its "click-a"s in an odd spot and missing the glass more often than connecting and he INSISTS that the two made the exact sounds that I've been worrying about. So, perhaps that's what it is for you too??

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Just got the Ocean Nutrition Formula B- clown decided it wasn't going to eat it -.- I honestly don't think my clown has eaten since I got her on Saturday..

New leather in the tank and did a rescape :)
IMG_0720.JPG
IMG_0728.JPG
IMG_0729.JPG

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
@Louise01 - I'm sure I'm prattling on about something you've already tried, but have you offered it live brine shrimp? I know that BS aren't ideal due to their lack of real nutritional value, but if you can get her eating that, then you could start soaking them/gutloading them and that buys you plenty of time to wean her onto prepared.
Just a thought!

But she looks beautiful, though! And so does your tank ;)

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Ill try Brine Shrimp but she was captive bred and had been in a fellow reefers tank for a few months prior to me getting her. He was feeding her Ocean Nutrition and said she was eating everything. She is nice as fat so maybe she's just a bit stressed from the move?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Check the water paramaters, inclucing salinity and temp (as I am sure you already have). If these are fine, try LIVE brinshrimp as suggested as the movement is likley to trigger a feeding response. Also, thawed mysis shrim are small and full of nutrients, so these may be worth a try. As the clown is CB (fancy form of clown), it is likley to readly accept flake and pellet foods. As long as th clown has some condition, it should be fine, may be finding food in the tank when you are not there and watching.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Thanks for the vid @ezza ... Now if only I could find the little guy. No shrimp going in my tank thats for sure- pretty $$$ meal.

@dr_schell - she ate a couple Ocean Nutrition pellets last night and I'll try some more mysis this afternoon (small amount as I don't want to go over feeding and polluting the tank).

Might be picking up a friend for her over the w/e. 3cm Picasso juvi- but the clutch is a mix of mis-bar picasso and true picasso. The guy also said that some of them grew funny shapes? He's put it down to incorrect feeding as they've grown but what do you think?

Parameters below:

Temp- 25
SG- 1.023
pH- 7.8 (bit low)
Nitrate- 0.0ppm
Nitrite- 0.0ppm
Ammonia- 0.0ppm
Phosphate- 0.0-0.25ppm (I've said it once, and I'll say it again- API PO4 test is crap)
Ca- 560ppm
kH- 7

Also posted in the coral section about a zoa dip as my green zoas are not opening yet all other frags are thriving

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Might be picking up a friend for her over the w/e. 3cm Picasso juvi- but the clutch is a mix of mis-bar picasso and true picasso. The guy also said that some of them grew funny shapes? He's put it down to incorrect feeding as they've grown but what do you think?
Clownfish breeding can sometimes produce mis-formed fish, which is what he might mean by 'funny shapes'. Their jaw is sometimes indented, or the forehead sunken ... seemingly genetic issues that are multiplied by regular breeding of the same stock. Similar to what causes the mis-bars. My guess of the situation anyway.

Doesn't mean the fish won't live perfectly healthy and happy lives, they might just not look quite as pretty, though usually only to the trained eye.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Clownfish breeding can sometimes produce mis-formed fish, which is what he might mean by 'funny shapes'. Their jaw is sometimes indented, or the forehead sunken ... seemingly genetic issues that are multiplied by regular breeding of the same stock. Similar to what causes the mis-bars. My guess of the situation anyway.

Doesn't mean the fish won't live perfectly healthy and happy lives, they might just not look quite as pretty, though usually only to the trained eye.
He never got back to me so no 2nd fishy fishy :(