Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Are you 100% it is a sundial snail? I haven't ever heard of one being so large...

As for the hammers, they might be a little pissed to start but should get used to it. Keep an eye on them though, it is possible for the clowns to kill them if they are constantly pissed off.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Well Mr Sundial it was not so nice knowing you... Thank you for munching on my favourite zoa frag- it's almost completely destroyed. But no hard feelings old chum. At 4cm across you've lived like a king.

Found him after lights out on my frag rack.. Looks like he just got to my zoas again (i went out for dinner -sigh-). Caught red handed.
IMG_0691.JPG

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Also found 2 cowry snails- one over my zoa frag and got them out. Not sure if they were a threat but one was on the frag and they looked identical. Better safe then sorry!

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Ummm... if that's a "sundial snail" why a) do I have at least 10 of them who have NEVERtouched my zoas, and b) is Oceanarium selling them as Turbos??
Yep. We love ours so much that we bought more :-)

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
And just checked Google images ~ IMO they're def different snails based on shell shape alone...

We had an urchin that was eating our zoas once. But as long as they have some algae to eat (or substitute like spirulina discs or lettuce) they're fine

HTH!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yup agree, that's a turbo snail. A sundial snail is smaller as I mentioned, has a 'sideways' shell and a 'rattle' that covers the opening when it retracts.

ai.imgur.com_5Ioro1U.jpg

Looks like your zoas might have disappeared for another reason ...

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
yeah i'd have to agree with the rest of the guys. definitely not a sundial snail as their cone shape is relatively flat and not cone shaped like that one. similar pattern but shell shape is enough to determine it isn't. not too sure about cowrie snails eating zoas either. might have to ask someone else here on the fuge for that one. do you have any slug looking things in your tank?

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Slugs and nudis were my next thought but haven't seen any.. Nor have I seen Amphs..

I have a couple 'slug' like critters but they more resemble an elephant snail but all brown

JimmyDang

Sep 12, 2012
Sydney
Well Mr Sundial it was not so nice knowing you... Thank you for munching on my favourite zoa frag- it's almost completely destroyed. But no hard feelings old chum. At 4cm across you've lived like a king.

Found him after lights out on my frag rack.. Looks like he just got to my zoas again (i went out for dinner -sigh-). Caught red handed.View attachment 15715
I've got a bunch of these xsctly the same colour and shape man, they haven't touched any of my zoas? I've watched them every night well when I did night feeds to my fish..they eat around my frag tiles and are always on the glass..? So these are sun dials? Not turbos?

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Purchased a Picasso Clown from a fellow reefer (believe B grade- correct me if I'm wrong). After a 30 minute acclimation it has now started exploring it's new home :) Not the best pics but I'm pretty excited. Need a name- so far I'm thinking Tango.. We're about 6cm and female.

SO MUCH MORE ACTIVE THAN THE BANGAIIS! Almost forgot how interesting clowns are to watch :)

IMG_0701.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG