Tank Journal Archive

Nov 15, 2012
Whats you Magnesium at?

You might find with Ca that high your Mg is too low and the corals cant utilise it properly. test the Mg and if it is low start dosing and you should see the Ca come down. A good Kh number also helps this. just my 2 cents :)

Tank looks good. Love the Hammers :):)

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Whats you Magnesium at?

You might find with Ca that high your Mg is too low and the corals cant utilise it properly. test the Mg and if it is low start dosing and you should see the Ca come down. A good Kh number also helps this. just my 2 cents :)

Tank looks good.Love the Hammers :):)
I dont have a kit for Mg- which kit would you recommend? I currently use API for my other parameters. Would it be beneficial dosing with Mg even without a reading? What product is good?

Parameter update
SG- 1.024
pH- 7.8
Ca- 620
Alk- 7
Ammonia- 0.25ppm
Phosphate- 0.25ppm
Nitrite- 0.0ppm
Nitrate- 0.0ppm

Corals are looking great guns. Chasing a small yellow acan currently. Thinking of moving the lobo to make room for another HAMMER! Mottled toxic green has always caught my eye. I'd like to get a small gold stem torch in there too...

Ammonia and phosphate is obviously a concern, as is my mystery Mg level.

Too bad I cant directly upload pics from my iphone onto here- they are better than my camera!

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
I'll do another water change this morning. Geez for a small tank, I am going through the water pretty quickly.

Just checked my additive and seems as though my Reef Complete contains Mg.. So my Mg should be at an acceptable level. Will get a kit anyway.

Reef Complete® also includes magnesium and strontium in amounts proportionate to typical utilization ratios (100:5:0.1, Ca:Mg:Sr). This allows one to maintain these two important elements while maintaining calcium.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
the smaller the tank the harder it is :)
I definitely agree with the theory behind that but this tank has been so much easier compared to my old 600L reef system. Possibly because that was my first tank and this is my second. Either way, this tank has definitely turned me into a nano advocate.

Im somewhat glad that Ive got some different parameter readings that need fixing. If you go through my journal my tank has been so very consistent on all readings. But, I do like a challenge. I expected some parameter swings after replacing all my old LR with new LR. And it's not like they're 'end of the world' readings. Shouldn't be an issue getting on top of them.

:) This tank is pretty much the definition of low maintenance :)

Nov 15, 2012
I use API for Amonia, nitrite and nitrate. Kh, Ca, and Mg are all red sea pro kits titration tests. your CA seems a little high for the low KH.

You should steer away from adding things to your tank you cant test for IMO.

Recently got a RS Pro colormetric test for Nitrate and Phosphate.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Lobo struck again, this time attacking the hammer (bottom of pic- right end)...

So now the lobo is in isolation on the top of a rock. The Cyanarina was on that same rock but has since BAILED. I though it may have fell (never had before) BUT after putting it back in it's wedge a handful of times I always find it on the bottom on the tank... Cyanarina obviously does not like the Lobo and decided to put some distance between them...

Cyanarina is now living on the floor next to the fungia- which I now need to re-home as I am worried that they will sting each other.. Definitely too close for comfort

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Ive also discovered a CRAB in my tank and the 'isolation' rock has some pretty cool things happening to it atm... (well apart from hosting the Lobo and crab)...

In 3 different places on my LR there is some pretty cool green encrusting going on... Not sure what it is, cant get a decent photo but i tried anyway.. Below is the biggest one. This one is 90% white with green in the centre- seems to be polyps all over it. The other 2 are smaller (10/20 cent piece size) on the back side of the LR and are fully green...

Any thoughts as to what this may be?

Oh and you can just see the crabs legs on the far top right of the shot (red/white stripes)- any ideas what type of crab this is??

IMG_0384.JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
This tank is turning out really well! Love teh hammer collection and glad you isolated your lobo - nasty little thing by the sounds of it (but pretty!).

The green looks like it could be montipora, which would be cool!

not sure on the crab ID ...

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Some news... Went to get water at 100% Reef Safe and left with 3 corals..

1x mottled green hammer
1x gold hammer
1x brain

Will have to post pics later.

Created a frag rack with egg crate but having issues stabilising it. Its leaning on LR atm and looks non too flash. Any suggestions?

Also put the heater in as was plummeting to 16/17 degrees overnight! Tank happily on 24 constant since Sunday night and corals looking much happier in the morning.

And its a sad day... Ive been away from home for 4 days and came home to find a bangaii missing :( Still no body has been found and its not on my floor. Its must be in amongst my LR somewhere but I cant move stuff around to find it as I have too many coral pieces perched on it all.. :(

Hopefully it doesnt soil my water quality too much... Ill give it a couple weeks and get a new fish. Suggestions?

Current occupants:
1x lonely bangaii
1x orange starfish
1x strombus