Tank Journal Archive

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Nice diy on the frag rack but does look a bit unstable, don't want anything landing on those hammers. Maybe cut pieces off the top of another piece of egg crate to form legs and then superglue them onto the top part, they slot in well I did it on a coral support for a chalice. You cut the horizontals off and are left with vertical tabs (hope I dont confuse!).

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Ok, DIY frag rack had to go.. It looked untidy and couldn't risk it falling down on my hammer garden. Invested in a pre-made frag rack. 40cm L with 2 suction cups. Had a couple issues with it staying up initially but its held on for almost 24hrs now so hopefully it'll stay put.

Heres some pics and a video.

Moving on the Bangaii ($15 if anyone is interested) and putting in 2x clowns.. Would love to put in an anemone for them but theres too many coral pieces in my tank now and clowns don't 'need' nems to be happy.

Ok apparently my .MOV file is too large- how can i upload it?

IMG_0608.JPG
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Im sure some of you may have noticed the colour change on my front hammer... The right hand side of it was stung by the lobo (see prev posts) and since growing back the tentacles are light pink in colour. The rest of the hammer is a slightly darker hue. The new tentacles also extend much further than the rest of the hammer- thoughts?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Those new clowns will soon find a home in one (or multiple) of those hammers! Mine call a hammer home even though there is a decent sized BTA in the tank too now.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Bangaii went to his new home on Sunday- apparently he was a male :) The other must've been female as they got along well, although they never did spawn...

Bit worried about clowns being too rough hosting my hammers.. What has been your experience with that @chimaera?

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Lights on anddddddd some of my zoas are missing.. Just polyps completely gone.

The frag rack fell on one side and was being held up by LR (not touching corals) and the frags didn't fall off, however my middle frag is missing half its polyps!

As far as i know there are only a couple snails in my tank and a starfish.. Nothing that would eat my polyps. What could the culprit be? Do I have a hitchhiker that I never noticed?

(I did mention i saw a crab a while ago but i found it dead so removed it)

daniel borja

Apr 17, 2013
could possibly be a nudibranch or sundial snail. as for your video, if you have a youtube account, upload it onto there and post the link up on your TJ :)

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
@daniel borja- you're a genius!! I did not even think of the sundial snail... I do have one in my tank, didn't know what it was but just googled and YEP thats what it is.. I had just classed it as misc. snail until now. What a prick! I have no sump so looks like its off to snail heaven for him... He's MASSIVE too- would have to be 5cm across at least.

Well at least I know what to blame now.. God, but now i have to find him -.-

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
I'm not really going to stand on him.. Goes against my profession. However I have no access to veterinary drugs as I have today off and I've never had to euth a snail before. So how would you best advise? Spent the last 15minutes googling. Theres a lot of conflicting ideas on the internet.

Louise01

Oct 15, 2012
Brisbane
Snails
Dombrowski (2007) recommends the following methods for veterinary euthanaisa of aquatic invertebrates such as snails:
* tricaine methanesulfonate (1-4 g/L)
* magnesium chloride (10%)
* dilute ethanol (10%)
followed by immersion in ethanol (70%) or freezing. But concentrate ethanol or freezing should not be used as the primary form of euthanasia for humane reasons.

I have ethanol on hand so I'll immerse in dilute ethanol (10%) prior to freezing.

Still have to find the sucker first