Tank Journal Archive

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0383.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG

just a bit of a tank update nothing much has changed got my first fish last Wednesday i got 2 starcki damsel's so far so good (crosses fingers) still waiting for my wave maker to come in nearly 2 weeks now. my macro algae is starting to look healthy again. need to get 2 lids made to slow down evaporation

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
the evaporation was never to bad until i removed my old filter but now i have an area open so ive made some templates going to get them cut out of 6-8mm acrylic

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Love the shot of the hermit!

Since taking the covers off my tank and replacing with a diy mesh cover and installing leds I now do about 5 liters a day on the ar 400, a bit more when I run a fan on the hot days. With covers on I added 3 liters so it wasn't all that bad considering its so open and lot of air flow now.

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
my evaporation is no where near that amount although with my wave maker i think it might be a little worse than current but i can do about 6L a week where as with the whole top enclosed i was rarely needing to top up would just do it when i did a water change

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
Yea the little brown spotty thing as soon as I uploaded the photo I though I probably should have circled it

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
got a new addition to the tank today an ocellaris clown
IMG_0397.JPG

also having a bit of a problem with purple hair algae every where atm

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
so this is the problem im having with algae atm im sure its a common thing can anyone spread some light on how to remove it and what its cause by so i can try and control it a little more
IMG_0398.JPG

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
awesome clown!!

thats cyano mostly caused by nutrients and excess lights, also part of your cycle you might get some

give us your current tank params and also the light schedule you're running..

you can use something like zeovit coral snow to help fight it or just grab it out of the tank but that doesnt really solve what is producing it...having said that if params and lights are all in check then the coral snow and/or manual removal should be fine...also a WC wouldnt hurt

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
got a few more test kits today and did some tests here is my params

PH HIGH RANGE: 8 (little low)
AMMONIA : 0 ppm
NITRITE: 0 ppm
NITRATE: 0 ppm
CALCIUM: 440ppm
PHOSPHATE: 0.25 ppm

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
haha its a bit of a joke really i dont have a timer on it so i usualy turn it on at about 7 just before i leave for work and it gets turned off any where between 6-7 of a night

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
its not too bad you might wanna try get a timer and run the lights maybe 8-10 hrs and then get moonlights for your night time viewing :)

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
im looking at changing to leds asap any way but i really dont have a way of fitting them to my current hood with out totally dismantling it