Tank Journal Archive

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
The trick to being a good tradesman is not to know what you are talking about but to sound like you do ;)

Seriously though I spent hours reading and researching about syphon systems and couldnt understand how they really worked until I build one and started playing around with it! I am to scared to drill my tank so I had to learn to make it work...

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
Thats it vaultboy as long as it looks like you know what your doing your on the right track well at least with welding LOL. the only part of my thank that can be drilled is the base and as it is full of water that isnt going to happen so i might look into other ways of filtration as i think my idea was there in theory but not practicality it would be better off with a smaller say 500lph because of the small volume of water i dont know its all to confusing for a welder thats used to switching off my brain and watching a pretty bright light lol

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
hey everyone what are the different types of HOB refugiums i know of the ecosystems and the CPR Aquafuge was wondering if anyone knows of any others any where the buy any of them

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Reef octopus have one tbh if I had to get a HOB one I would just pay the money and get a ecosystems one I did a mod on an aqua clear but tbh these days I just like getting things that are ready to go and ready to use look up on YouTube the CPR had minor flaws the guy newyorksteelo had one on a tank of his

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
it wouldnt be your only source of filtration, your LR in your tank will be your filter as well.

and then with regular 10% water changes weekly or 20% fortnightly you will be fine

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
@leodb89 thanks for the input was just wondering because of the size of it i could understand that having a bigger sump style refugium that it would be fine but being so small i thought it might be a bit small. i am looking at running a skimmer now was well. either that or a canisterfilter

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
should post some pics of the filtration the tank currently has i.e the compartments and what not maybe theres something you can do with what the tank currently has?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
hey mate im PM'ing you a couple links too look into...one of which i think is probably the best option without hacking into the thing...let me know what you think and if you're interested post it up here and get some feedback :)

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
well thanks to Leo @leobd89 for all the links that he sent me i now have a couple of ideas of what i can do for filtration

1. HOB style refugium ( eco systems, reef octopus, cpr,) with a HOB skimmer
2. AQUAONE marisys 240. 3 chambers for media (or possible with a little modification a fuge???) all in one with a built in protein skimmer have herd reports of the original marisys 240 skimmer not producing much skimmate but the new PRO series 2 has a pump driven skimmer rather than a air driven any better not sure????
3. Canister filter fluval G3 or similar. Nitrate factory not sure if the new design of the G3/G6 would be different.
4. keeping the existing filter changing media to a better type and adding a protein skimmer

if i could get some input to suggestions or people that are using any type of filtration that i have listed please let me know.

P.S on a positive little bit annoying not must have a pistol shrimp or a mantis in my tank as i keep hearing clicking not that i can find it GGRRRR

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
btw if you want to talk to someone who was successful with a cannister filter that'd be @bug she did well until she went on holidays and was breeding cyano :P

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
went to the LFS today got a hermit crab and a trochus snail. they also have a HOB refugium for sale its the same as the eco systems one they just copied it made a few changes it comes with a 12v pump and 12v light that plug into each other a surface skimmer box and utube bio balls i think it may even come with bio mud and its only $350 the bloke recons that it would be sufficient filtration as long as there is somthing to move the water (8000lph wave maker)

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
picked my HOB sump up to day ended up getting it for $300. will post a pic up after i reglue the leaks :mad:

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
IMG_0365.JPG
Got the sump all ready to go and sitting on the tank with water in it not real sure about the mounts atm will have to watch closely and hope that it doesn't end up on the floor :confused:
IMG_0366.JPG

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Looks like a neat unit, I hadn't seen a hob properly till now. Looking forward to seeing how you like it once you have it up and running.