Tank Journal Archive

Fishy

Sep 1, 2012
Launceston
Internal.? Rock... External...paint it.

Ph readings done at different times will give you different readings.... A routine re time for tests will give you more accurate average readings.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@craige - it's been a while since I checked out your TJ, but it looks like lots has been happening :)

I noticed when you were talking about your sump that you mentioned pulling off a bit of silicon - how have you glued this together?

hey need some ideas of what i can put over the pick up for my overflow IE a mesh or filter ????
Is this for the inlet to the overflow?

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
@MagicJ yea it for the inlet of the overflow dont want any little friends swimming in. Yea i did unfortunately pull some silicon up the whole sump in glued up with proper acrylic glue weld-on 16 i think its called then i put the silicone on for safety

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
Hey all i plumbed my @VaultBoy overflow and the return in today it wasn't running as well as i hoped and was gurgling so i did as vaultboy suggested to quiet down by putting the pipe form the silencer tube into the water and all hell broke loose ended up with water everywhere am now second guessing using the my own sump idea!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Hey all i plumbed my @VaultBoy overflow and the return in today it wasn't running as well as i hoped and was gurgling so i did as vaultboy suggested to quiet down by putting the pipe form the silencer tube into the water and all hell broke loose ended up with water everywhere am now second guessing using the my own sump idea!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:
OH SHIT... I may have forgotten to mention that you need to drill a small hole in the siliencer tube just above the maximum water level... Otherwise the pipe turns to a full syphon and will just suck your tank empty until it gets some air in it.

Really sorry mate :banghead

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
@VaultBoy will having the silencer pipe fitted in the tank with the small hole! give me better flow because i wasn't seeing very good flow before

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
It shouldnt change flow much... It will make it a lot quieter.

Make sure you get ALL of the air out of the syphon tube, only a small amout of air in the top of the tube and it will dramatically reduce flow. When it is flowing well most of the air is "sucked" (for lack ofa better word) out of the tube with the flowing water and will only slowly build up over a number of weeks/months. Then just suck it out again!

i do want to get an air lifter pump to keep the syphon primed but I dont know where to get one...

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
hey vault boy i hooked the system back up with the air holes as you suggested and it didn't work it would run really well for about 1 min then die down. but i dont think that its the overflow i think that it is more the sump being to small as i have to run a 2000ltr pump to get the head height that i need and i have to a valve almost closed so the sump can keep up with the pump

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
I think that it is a combination of both really even when i had the pump flowing straight back into the sump i couldnt run it flat out there is only the one 25mm siphon witch steps down to a 20mm maybe a 15mm siphon tube would be better im not sure. as my sump only holds about 15l max i think it could be to small

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Dont reduce the pipe size... This syphon will only pull out as much water as the pump puts in. It cannot and will not ever flow faster than the return pump does. When it slows down does the water level in the display tank rise or is it the pump flow slowing down? It may be to do with the restriction you have put on the pump line. Is the valve inline on the return line or is it on a tee and bleeding some of the flow back to the sump? If it is the former it is not great for the pump! You are better off teeing off of the return line and putting the valve on the tee with the outlet back into the sump, this way you get to control the flow by returning some to the sump and it allows the pump to run at its desired load/flow and not restricting its outlet (except by head height....)