Tank Journal Archive

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
With regards to stocking why don't you think about and post your "final" list.

We can have a look over it and assist with what will and won't work and what order they should be added in.

Don't impulse buy - it usually ends in tears. Get a plan and try to stick to it I say.

Also the longer you leave your tank to cycle, the better it will be (gives pods more time to breed, bacteria more time to equalize, etc.

Its not all about the 4 week cycle.

Good luck

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
@MagicJ hoping you can give me a bit help as u seem to be the man to talk to about lighting. im looking at changing the globes in my hood i think there T8 globes there is 2 8000 k 25Watt and 1 15000 k 20w globes would like to give it more of a blue look what sort of globes should i be looking at getting

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
@MagicJ hoping you can give me a bit help as u seem to be the man to talk to about lighting. im looking at changing the globes in my hood i think there T8 globes there is 2 8000 k 25Watt and 1 15000 k 20w globes would like to give it more of a blue look what sort of globes should i be looking at getting
I have never used fluorescent globes :) @MTG may have some ideas...

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
do you have a budget for a light upgrade? t8's are very old these days an inefficient! an upgrade to t5's or led would be the best bet,!

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
wasnt looking for a total upgrade as of yet have been looking at leds though. was more after a little different color

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Save your pennies for an upgrade... I only use t8's on my planted tank and they are over driven so I can get some decent growth. I wouldnt consider keeping coral under them as they are just not powerful enough!

Look into a DIY LED setup even if you make a couple of small lights and just upgrade it in stages... It is easy to get exactly the colour you want with LED setups especially if you add in an arduino (or similar) controller

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
hey @VaultBoy yea im thinking of doing a DIY led system soon. I am actually in the process of starting to look in to arduino at the moment looking at doing something to monitor and record the temperature in my tank

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
Way back when (20 plus years ago) I used to try to keep corals under t8 tubes. The only thing I could keep was aptasia, Xenia and a bubble tip nem. That is keeping mind you, not really any growth apart from aptasia! But then again I was using under gravel filters and doing weekly water changes!

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
ok so i think i have my final fish i would like to stock at first

1. Ocellaris clown x 2
2. six liner
3. decora goby
4.coral beauty
5. sail fin/ algae blenny ?
6. green chromis?

feed back and suggestions would be appreciated and what order would u add them

craige

Dec 1, 2012
Hobart
the tanks been running rather well i think :confused: lol apart from my wave maker breaking nothing new to see as yet apart from my hermit crabs new shell thats all that has changed recently. my macro doesn't look real healthy but i think thats because there is no nitrate in the tank