Help / Suggestions

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Need a competition
Morning all,

A few months back we did a bit of a shop crawl around Melbourne. The final stop was over at Bunarong Aquarium. As a few of the guy's will know, Brett was kind enough to donate a few goods to this forum to do with as they pleased. We have been holding on to them until a competition came up where we could use them. So far this hasn't happened & we don't want anyone thinking that we just kept the goods.

As these were donated to the forum, the forum can decide what the competition will be. There will be a first & second prize given away to who ever the winners are, but first we need a comp. Total value of both prizes is $135.00 looking at the stickers on the boxes. We will cover the postage to get the prizes to the winners.

So it's up to you lot now. What is the competition going to be??? You all have 48Hrs to come up with ideas. (1am 13/11/12 Tuesday morning) More then enough time to throw the ideas around. If an idea is posted that you like, like it & second it. If nothing can be decided, the goods will be returned back to Bunarong Aquarium as it would be wrong for us to keep them any longer.

Ken & Jen :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
There is always a TJ of the month with a couple of riles straight up (tank age, only documented "progress" in a TJ on TheReefuge is counted, voted for by members via the like system, etc. I am sure there are more ideas for rules, but you get the jist.

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
There is always a TJ of the month with a couple of riles straight up (tank age, only documented "progress" in a TJ on TheReefuge is counted, voted for by members via the like system, etc. I am sure there are more ideas for rules, but you get the jist.
The problem with that one it is hard to get an even playing field With all the diforant tank sizes and styles. If it was based on content only (wich i think your aiming towords )it would be a good idea I think macca

Reef6

Jul 29, 2012
Gladstone
What about a find of the month.. Everyone likes a good deal, so maybe get people to post up what they find and people that think it is relevant and a good deal can like it..
The most likes at the end of the month wins...
Probably not for everyone.. just trying to think outside the box..

megsez

Apr 29, 2012
sunshine coast
was never anything wrong with the photo of the month comp?
Thats a good one il second it. But base it on content as well as quality not all cameras on the same playing field :p . The only other thing is would it have to be a pic of something in your own tank or open playing field

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
yes, the problem with TOTM etc is that some people have way more impressive tanks than others, so it kind of limits people. Person X may have the worst looking tank on here but the nicest acan for example so it makes it a bit more open.

Themes work well too, as in 'Invert photo of the month' etc

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
Best tank rescape ?
Must supply before and after shot... No new corals or rock work just moving all contents !

Eliminates tank size problems
Eliminates "rich people" having better livestock options
Make people think about there reef and maybe turn to a new direction

Josh M

Dec 23, 2011
Dubbo
True it does take a lot of effort :/ just throwing ideas out my only gripe with find of the month is they already got a good find then they win the prize aswell :p

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
I think it's going to be very hard to find a competiton where everyone has an even playing field.
For example we all know that mtg takes amazing photos already, so we could almost guarantee he will get a place. With finds of the month, I would be at a major disadvantage as well as the other younger forum members because we are unable to get around to places.

Phil

Oct 23, 2012
Sydney
I think it's going to be very hard to find a competiton where everyone has an even playing field.
For example we all know that mtg takes amazing photos already, so we could almost guarantee he will get a place. With finds of the month, I would be at a major disadvantage as well as the other younger forum members because we are unable to get around to places.
I'm another 'find of the month' supporter .
In regards to getting around , maybe it could be something online. You know how it is.. Your looking for one thing and come across other random things and think 'hey that's a pretty good deal' just a thought :)

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
depends I guess, is it photo quality or the better photo?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
We could do a quarterly best moment on the forum? Maybe something funny, or a great article, or the best thread. Dunno, its tough to get something for everyone I guess. On most of the forums the only ones that seem fairest is the photo of the month

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Why not a frag comp? Everyone is bound to have frags in some shape or form. Base it over 2 months growth or something etc, pick the best out of 5, then do an anonymous vote as to who has the best growth etc (results need to be hidden until the voting period has finished).
Here's the clincher, to prevent fan/friend voting I think it would be wise to present the prize to 2nd place. With the anonymous voting thing coupled with the 2nd place prize, it evens the fragging field completely.
Also as there are 2 prizes could hold 2 separate fragging comps ie 1 for hard, 1 for soft.

Just an idea lol