Help / Suggestions

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Why not a frag comp? Everyone is bound to have frags in some shape or form. Base it over 2 months growth or something etc, pick the best out of 5, then do an anonymous vote as to who has the best growth etc (results need to be hidden until the voting period has finished).
Here's the clincher, to prevent fan/friend voting I think it would be wise to present the prize to 2nd place. With the anonymous voting thing coupled with the 2nd place prize, it evens the fragging field completely.
Also as there are 2 prizes could hold 2 separate fragging comps ie 1 for hard, 1 for soft.

Just an idea lol
I have no frags :/, i would say yes, but perhaps this would be a better state competiton, as that way we could setup that everyone get a frag of the same coral, exposed to the same treatment ect ect

Reef6

Jul 29, 2012
Gladstone
I'm another 'find of the month' supporter .
In regards to getting around , maybe it could be something online. You know how it is.. Your looking for one thing and come across other random things and think 'hey that's a pretty good deal' just a thought :)
That was the idea behind it.. we all spend a bit of time on the net and buy a lot of stuff off the net, so should be able to come up with interesting stuff..
Doesn't just have to be for skimmers and general stuff that you would associate with your tank, but could also be those things that we all know we should have but most don't ie. UPS..

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
That was the idea behind it.. we all spend a bit of time on the net and buy a lot of stuff off the net, so should be able to come up with interesting stuff..
Doesn't just have to be for skimmers and general stuff that you would associate with your tank, but could also be those things that we all know we should have but most don't ie. UPS..
this is true, however i think it will be a topic best left untill after the christmas/new years break, as i dare say alot of members will be going away for a while, or just spending time with family

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Some good ideas - keep them coming.

In reply to a previous comment - mods are ineligible to enter any competitions on The Reefuge.

saint

Jan 23, 2012
I like the idea of a frag comp since it levels the playing field and everyone can join in since its pretty easy to snip off a zoa ect

also just a suggestion how about telling everyone what the prize items are and people writing to why they should get it
eg: light prize " want to upgrade and this light would be perfect for me blah blah blah"

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Most informative product review. Helps with seo. Other users will find it informative and it could potentially build up a good relationship with furture sponsors of the forums. If their product is good enough anyway lol

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Frag Comp gets my vote.

I think it would have to be a rule that you have to frag a coral at the start of the comp or provide photographic evidence that it was fragged in the last week (once again a little trust is required)

I think there should be a prize for hard corals and another for soft.

You would need to provide regular photographic updates with an item in the frame for scale.

2 - 3 months sounds like a good time frame to me.

I think woting should be open to all users and should give a score based on colour, size/growth rate and degree of difficulty. (Unsure how that last point will work...)

Just some ideas.... I like the idea of a photo comp also but would prefer a frag comp.

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
a problem i can see with the fragging is that some corals dont show growth well, i have a cadilia sp. in my tank and the only time i notice its growth is when i hit it and all the polyps retract to show off a few new branches

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
gotten a bit side tracked I think from the original idea, i think it was meant as a one time competition? But some comps even for no prizes might be pretty good addition to the forum?

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I like frag idea too but again for those people who don't have a great camera setup it's difficult to show how well coral colours actually look, that saturation button can be a bitch ;)

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
Like i said, i think it would be a better/fairer competiton if everyone was given a frag of the same coral, give a week for aclimitisation, then the comp starts

daveH

Team Leader
Nov 24, 2011
Brisbane Northside
Funniest/interesting true tank story. Voted the best by members.

Frag, scape or photo comp can be so one sided for those without the best equipment.

Scuba Rich

Nov 5, 2012
Frankston
Interesting... So thoughts of a newbie..
I spend a bit of time looking at the post on here and have really learned a lot of good info..Cannot wait to put into practice.
So my point is I look at the tank journals, I think they seel the dream of owning a great tank, I love to see the pics and stages and learn from others this way.
For me a comp idea could be to make a short tutorial on somthing that other members have had or may in the future have as issues. It doesn't have to be the big bang theory just a problem solving thing or info.. (I'm sure there is a lot of knowledge here but not always well communicated) This may have a lasting effect too in that people learn better ways to post information.
I'd like to see a good glossary of all the different critters/corals etc.. Maybe including place in tank were they thrive, conditions, lights etc..

I think that way we get somethng of a legacy from the comp in that it will create a library if you follow were as a frag comp may not leave much once over.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Interesting... So thoughts of a newbie..
I spend a bit of time looking at the post on here and have really learned a lot of good info..Cannot wait to put into practice.
So my point is I look at the tank journals, I think they seel the dream of owning a great tank, I love to see the pics and stages and learn from others this way.
For me a comp idea could be to make a short tutorial on somthing that other members have had or may in the future have as issues. It doesn't have to be the big bang theory just a problem solving thing or info.. (I'm sure there is a lot of knowledge here but not always well communicated) This may have a lasting effect too in that people learn better ways to post information.
I'd like to see a good glossary of all the different critters/corals etc.. Maybe including place in tank were they thrive, conditions, lights etc..

I think that way we get somethng of a legacy from the comp in that it will create a library if you follow were as a frag comp may not leave much once over.
have you had a look at the wiki mate?

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Hello everyone,

I too believe any competition should be content based. This not only allows all users to participate, but it also helps out this site by adding more content to it, and it does wonders for our SEO. SEO in turn helps the site grow, which brings more users, which brings more information etc.

This is by no means what is going to happen, it is just my suggestion.

Thanks.