Help / Suggestions

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
What are the chances of making a thread to hold links?

I'm sure we all have a thousand bookmarks to pages for different topics we have searched for and found some great pages for future reference. "links" from the front page, then broken down to say, equipment, corals, fish, calculations, lighting and so on. If someone wants to break it down further, I dunno, that's up to "god"
Would save having some really good links spread through out the site in different threads.

On a side note, "The Reefuge Admin" = god, for some strange reason I have the image of the "Architect"from the Matrix movies in my head for him :)running everything smoothly from a great height above, no offense intended.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
A 'Portal' link will be good to click on, that takes you directly to the top 10 updated threads :)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
What are the chances of making a thread to hold links?

I'm sure we all have a thousand bookmarks to pages for different topics we have searched for and found some great pages for future reference. "links" from the front page, then broken down to say, equipment, corals, fish, calculations, lighting and so on. If someone wants to break it down further, I dunno, that's up to "god"
Would save having some really good links spread through out the site in different threads.

On a side note, "The Reefuge Admin" = god, for some strange reason I have the image of the "Architect"from the Matrix movies in my head for him :)running everything smoothly from a great height above, no offense intended.
Hello Neo,

I am already a step ahead of you. As opposed to having a messy thread with links, there is a special feature called "Post-it". You will see it at the bottom of every post by any user. If you click it, it will pop up a window asking you to give a description of the "post-it". For example, if I click your post-it for this post, I will name it "Synodontis calling me God". It will save it in my "bookmarks" folder in my control panel. When I need to use that post later, I can just go to my bookmarks (in my control panel) and it will be there.

That way you do not need to read through an entire thread to get that tiny bit of information you found useful, you can quickly access a single post. This way, users can tailor the posts to their own needs.

I hope this helps, and follow the white rabbit... :P

A 'Portal' link will be good to click on, that takes you directly to the top 10 updated threads :)
I was contemplating this earlier tonight. It would make sense to have it. I do not know why I have not put it on actually, there is no reason not to.

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Would there be scope when the Wiki is going to have a page where we can add links to useful resources.
Perhaps have someone in charge of looking after that page, and we can just nominate useful links via PM or in a specific thread.

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
this might be a little far fetched but...

what about having a "study group" session once a fort night, or month? it would only have to run for an hour or so and can be held in the chat room. we would need a study group leader that would be prepared to spend an hour online with a group that are asking questions and discussion on different topics??

the other thing I was thinking, maybe it could be possible that we could have a "reefuge tank". it would be setup at someones place obviously and that persone would have to do the physical side, but it could be a great step by step process as a thread. it would generate discussions, and a lot of interest. with this members of the forum would obviously have to donate parts and things as it would have to be between everyone. the only thing I see wrong with this is that who would be the one to do the work and setup, and that person would have the benefit of basically a free tank and setup. maybe not the best idea???

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
Study group sounds good...

I guess instead of having a reefuge tank, if someone could just seriously doco the setup of a tank from start to end, that might achieve some of the educational value of it.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for all the feedback! I think a bunch of us who are interested in doing more work aside from posting need to get together and have a chat and see what we can come up with.

Who would be interested in this?

jashay

Jul 15, 2011
Wide Bay
Im pretty easy on this, happy to go whenever it suits most people. I guess aslong as it isnt in peoples time that they are dealing with other things like dinner and kids would be suited better?

alteclansing

Aug 6, 2011
Just wondering would it be more logical to put the general reef topic at the top of the category?

I really love the "alert" icon on top right, this is brillient... and also a spell check please... :P

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Just wondering would it be more logical to put the general reef topic at the top of the category?

I really love the "alert" icon on top right, this is brillient... and also a spell check please... :p
Hi alteclansing,

I will add the Gerneral Reef forum to the top of the category tonight. As for the spell check, it is not possible. On forum software, it is your computers spell check that does the work, not the forum. Because this forum software uses advanced editing methods, it need an inline text editor for the spellcheck to work. Unfortunately, because Internet Explorer is such a "great" bit of software, it misses out on this.

I suggest browsing our forums using Firefox. Not only will a whole bunch of new features open up, but you will be surfing the internet safer. It is free and powerful. You can download it at www.mozilla.org

Please note, that a lot of this forum is coded using html 5. This is the future of website coding, so we thought we would get in early and make the change to the new way.

Thanks.