Help / Suggestions

DavidS

The Resident Loony
Jul 17, 2011
Ballarat, Victoria
I can make some recommendations on effective techniques I've created over 10 years of managing forums.
Some of them won't actually get you arrested... if you're lucky ;)

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
Surly That's not necessary ? , After all This is a reefing forum,........ Not a gaming forum where spoiled little children hang out .
Or am i wrong ?

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Surly That's not necessary ? , After all This is a reefing forum,........ Not a gaming forum where spoiled little children hang out .
Or am i wrong ?
You are right for the most part... This is a reefing forum and people here are generally mature enough to maintain a civil tone. The problem lies in the nature of forums in general and that is the fact that they are on the internet where in my experience 90% of the worlds population of idiots seem to congregate, with too much time and nothing better to do....

marks

Aug 2, 2011
Gold Coast
I made a comment in chat at the start and have effectively been banned.
Cannot PM or approach anyone to be able to discuss what happened, tried to discuss it in chat but was basicly unable to do so either.
With differing opinions or thoughts, you will be effectively banned.
Matt has told everyone how to avoid such "bans" but have choosen not to go down that path.
I have and still use anything up 10 differing aquarium forums and have never had any trouble except on this forum.
Discussion helps things grow, stiflng of discussions is what dictators and intolerate regimes use to further their only agendas generally.

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
It's such a shame, That some people cant extend the same common decency while on the net, That they should in every day life tho ,
Anyway life goes on :D

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I made a comment in chat at the start and have effectively been banned.
Cannot PM or approach anyone to be able to discuss what happened, tried to discuss it in chat but was basicly unable to do so either.
With differing opinions or thoughts, you will be effectively banned.
Matt has told everyone how to avoid such "bans" but have choosen not to go down that path.
I have and still use anything up 10 differing aquarium forums and have never had any trouble except on this forum.
Discussion helps things grow, stiflng of discussions is what dictators and intolerate regimes use to further their only agendas generally.
Hello mate , Maybe pm The Reefuge about this problem
You have to admit tho , The way you word things , Looks like your trying to be a bit difficult , This may not be the case but ...You have to admit ?

As the Forum is still Just trying to find its feet , So to speak , I ask people just to take a deep breath and relax , We are still working on things , We are always trying to improve , As am i
To be honest , I think we could all take a step back once in a while and look at ourselves ,
me included .

marks

Aug 2, 2011
Gold Coast
Unable to PM as posted above.
PM has been disabled and chat has been ignored twice when I tried to start a conversation on the topic.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Unable to PM as posted above.
PM has been disabled and chat has been ignored twice when I tried to start a conversation on the topic.
No, it has not been ignored. We spoke did we not? I will unban you, for now. But you are going to tell the truth about what you did, and why Jimmy Anderson is doing what he is doing.

marks

Aug 2, 2011
Gold Coast
I have no problem with what I said other than I thought I was chatting with Matt and was trying to wind him up ad poorly trying to pretend to be a much younger person hence the style and wording, called a practical joke or even a poor attempt at a "prank".
I would never have initiated such conversation with a complete stranger or in company of which there was neither.
Below is transcript of the evening. for people to judge for themselves.

As far as I,m aware Jimmy has no hidden agenda and I could not even think why he would have so.
Just a very intelligent person who whilst he has opinion is willing to voice it. Too many people IMO choose not to voice an opinion and sit back which IMO is something i hate more so than a differing opinion.

<Guest1942> is this forum gay or what.
<ReefBOT> Hello Guest
<ReefBOT> If you do not like it, why stay?
<Guest1942> because i forgot this tab was open and has been good for a laugh.
<ReefBOT> How so?
<ReefBOT> So you forgetting a tab open makes the forum gay?
<ReefBOT> If that is the case, you are more than welcome to leave. Thanks.
<Guest1942> was reading the gay responses and left the chat open.
<Guest1942> the forum is gay not any ations
<Guest1942> actions
<ReefBOT> I do not understand what you are trying to tell me.
<ReefBOT> Who's actions?
<ReefBOT> and why is the forum gay?
<Guest1942> just seem to have no real depth to the questions or answers. seems very amateuristic. bunch of dumb aussies talking about prank call and what tv show to watch
<ReefBOT> Well, it is only five days old. If it seems so amateur then it is obviously not worth your precious time to come here. Also, if everyone is a dumb Aussie, you probably will not fit in well. Seeing as you are still on the forum and the chatroom, I assume you are unaware of how to leave. I will be more than happy to help you with that.
* ReefBOT sets ban on *!*ulviounny@*.dyn.iinet.net.au
* ReefBOT has kicked Guest1942 from #thereefuge (Guest1942)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
Thank you discus,

The problem is, you were not talking to Matt, you were talking to me. Which lead me to believe that you just came here to cause trouble. That coupled with the single post you made, made me think that you had nothing else to do.

Thanks.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
OK, maybe it is now time to draw the proverbial line in the sand.

discus.g.c., you now have the opportunity to show that you want to become a contributing member of The Reefuge. Given your knowledge and experience I am sure that there are many members here who would appreciate, and benefit by, your contribution to this forum :)

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
You have been unbanned Discus. You are welcome to be active in our community if you wish.

Thank you.

The Reefuge

Administrator
Jul 9, 2011
This is true. I will switch it to the black one when I get time. Remind me though :)

Hey all.. first things first.. Luke
It's such a shame, That some people cant extend the same common decency while on the net, That they should in every day life tho ,
Anyway life goes on
I have to say that its more of a shame that people have lost this ability in every day life .. so we have no hope on a forum that should theoretically bring people with a common interest together.. i have been to chadstone shopping center today.. 1 week before xmas.. on a miserable weather sunday.. so yes.. im asking for it.. and i could be biased but i do see this more often that not.. :( its a shame.. but theres not much we can do about it..

Second things second.: is it possible or can it be possible to set email notifications "on" for every post we make? or shall i stick a post-it note on my monitor to remind me to keep doing this manually.. ???

Loving the site guys.. (and gals). keep up the good work.