Reef Discussion

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I agree, it's disgraceful. I am sure there would be a market in Aus for these. I blame LFS that probably don't want to pay the higher prices.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
they are heavily edited and under blue LED, hard to tell the true colour, maybe i should take some pictures of my corals under just blue led as an example :D, (ive never done shots of this tank under just blue)

we do see a few corals like that over here the problem is when they are here they often sit in the shop dont sell and go brown. thats if they arnt exported that is :D

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
After visiting one of Australia premium exporters warehouse the other week, i can tell you absolutely that they DO export nearly all the top shelf Aus stuff overseas! :(

the stuff i saw in the collectors tanks quite simply blew my mind, and ALL destined for overseas. Thousands of pieces were all destined to Japan/asia and when he explained the prices they pay for it wholesale as what AU LFS would pay, well. You couldnt argue why it was going OS. :(

But Matt right, that stuff is under blue LED and heavily photoshopped.....

Reactions: MTG
Those prices on Ebay are super cheap, I would pay triple that for stuff that looks like that & I'm others would also. I have payed more then those prices for bloody acro. It would be nice to have an opportunity to buy them. The people overseas must be buying them cheap to sell at that price. With the dollar the way it is it don't make sense. They would get more for them here. :confused: Or are they taking SO much from the ocean that the volume of corals is to much for a small country like Australia to handle & the sheer numbers at cheap prices is the only way to get rid of them.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Unless there was a law agaisnt selling direct you would think some of these collectors would wake up and get an online store going. There would probably be more accountablitiy for them if they sold here also. I'd bet there wouldnt be much of a DOA policy in place for stuff going out.

I'd also bet that some stays here for the privilidged few who have a foot in the door.

vman

Go you Mighty Roosters !!!!
Oct 8, 2011
sydney 2036
Well maybee those greedy fat pig money grubbers that sell thier corals overseas could auction them off to thier own kind and give us
stupid no money and no sense / more money than sense poor barstards a FAIR SUCK OF THE SAV.!!

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
After visiting one of Australia premium exporters warehouse the other week, i can tell you absolutely that they DO export nearly all the top shelf Aus stuff overseas! :(

the stuff i saw in the collectors tanks quite simply blew my mind, and ALL destined for overseas. Thousands of pieces were all destined to Japan/asia and when he explained the prices they pay for it wholesale as what AU LFS would pay, well. You couldnt argue why it was going OS. :(

But Matt right, that stuff is under blue LED and heavily photoshopped.....
Are you given the opportunity to buy any of these corals?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Everybody has to earn a living I guess but one would think it wouldnt be to hard to set up a website to put a few nice pieces into the australian market and give us a shot at purchasing. If the LFS arent willing to spend the dollars cut out the middle man and sell direct. Advertise them at what they would get over seas if they dont sell in a week ship them out.

Meller

Aug 13, 2011
Canberra
Are you given the opportunity to buy any of these corals?
I was interstate at the time, so I didn't, but this particular wholesaler does sell to the Aus public through select retailers, so it's not all doom and gloom.

As for web based selling, why would they when they already have standing orders for hundreds of boxes at a time that are sold before they can actually collect the corals?

Unfortunately there is little business sense in doing online shops in their situation, and to be honest I think an email to them would probably be laughed at.

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
I was interstate at the time, so I didn't, but this particular wholesaler does sell to the Aus public through select retailers, so it's not all doom and gloom.

As for web based selling, why would they when they already have standing orders for hundreds of boxes at a time that are sold before they can actually collect the corals?

Unfortunately there is little business sense in doing online shops in their situation, and to be honest I think an email to them would probably be laughed at.
Unfortunately, I have to agree - it takes a lot of time and effort to pack of 1 or 2 corals to send within Australia. And then have to deal with DOA claims etc.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Hi everyone,

I take it there will be no objections for The Reefuge to send off an email inviting them to sell their corals through this site then?

Thanks
there are a few reasons why this wont work.

ive chatted to a few suppliers that send over seas.

lets start from the start, firstly we cant import corals, so we have to deal with our corals here (what are good but all the good pieces are sent over seas)

this is the response i got from a few different wholsalers to why they wouldnt sell me pieces here.

me : why wont you sell me this piece

them: because over seas they will buy 50 corals for this one good coral, they will also pay the price you would pay at the shop for it, so why would i sell one coral for retail when i could sell 50, it is much easyer for us to send out our shipment of 1000 corals rather then sell one to you.

i understand this completely.

some of their exporters will buy a few hundreds corals just for one "ultra grade"

what they then do with that is frag them and grow them. those prices everyone was looking at was for a price of one polyp LOL

one polyp of a blasto for 30 bucks, imagine a standard piece that would have 20 heads over here looking at $600 for the piece

mscott

Jan 2, 2012
Wheelers Hill
this is most likey true, but insted of an individual, the reefuge has the ability to display and sell to 500 odd people in the one hit, so even if they sell at retail or higher price to us, if all 500 jump in then it will probly be more benificial

parrdog

Sep 19, 2011
Engadine
I've only been snoopin' around this reef game for a little while.

But, in the last few years, I have seen a distinct rise in ultra stuff being available to us over here.

I'm thinking this trend will increase. There's more local knowledge now in what we have, and with that there's more local pressure to pass some of the goodness onto us. About five years ago, you didn't see the stuff in local tank journals that you see now. All the really good stuff was seen in overseas tanks.

Not all doom and gloom I reckon :).

Jamie.