Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
i.d be heading down to @reeflections on a thursday when they get new stock inand making good friends with @vpreef I hear hes got an eye for special pieces :P
Its amazing how many nice pieces general public dont even get to lay eyes on because they go on the night
Lately @ reeflections there have been many nice pieces left, we can only fit so much in our tanks ;) i picked up an awesome yellow hammer for $75, that was sitting there for a week!

Dmitroid

May 5, 2013
South Yarra
I would still put that coral in quarantine for a few weeks Oscar! I wouldn't risk ruining your display tank because they don't look like any Ascidian I have ever seen! Not to dis credit Dr Schell at all but better to be safe than sorry! The colonial mass shouldn't be covered in jelly if it belongs to the Ascidiacea family. Take a look here at the Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascidiacea as it's got a little information about them and a few pictures. Make sure you Google how to classify them too as there are a lot of very detailed reports online, depending on how deep you wish to dive into it of course.

Dr Schell would you mind PM me some resources to research this species? I would be interested in learning more about them! :)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi @Dmitroid,

It is a healthy thing that you question my ID and I commend you for doing so. Some ascidians do form a colonial mass in which a shared matrix contains the individual animals (in much the same way as Palythoa exist within a common basal matrix. However that said, the image may indeed be eggs of some form of mollusc. The reason I suspect that they are an ascidian is that the 'jelly' is relatively firm (determined through conversations with OSCAR85), whereas the 'jelly' that accompanies most invertebrate egg masses is relatively soft. However, my diagnosis may certainty be incorrect and I do agree with you that the precautionary principal should be employed.

Many thanks for keeping me HONEST ;)

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
an image of a colonial, incrusting Ascidian (from the net) is provided below. In the image, the organism is actively feeding and thus holes are present within the matrix. When disturbed, these holes would close and become invisible and the organism would appear as a collection of white eggs.

awww.marlin.ac.uk_imgs_o_diplis2.jpg

Cosby

May 14, 2013
Oscar, how do you go with your Sun coral? I've read that they do like a tank that's not overly clean(low skimming), so I'm wondering how that goes with your set up?