Tank Journal Archive

Mantis Dundee

Jun 24, 2013
Quakers Hill
Thanks @holly ! It is so hard to get good pics. The paly is looking good. A few other things are emerging from the weeds, various roundish glowy balls that could be Zoa's, weird looking green bubble things sticking to rock in a wee cluster, the kid thinks it's eggs, I am not sure. So many baby peps. The've even taken up residence in my phosphate reactor! I want more corals. Once I have done another water change and pay day arrives I might get some little hardy things.
Yep definitely Paly

View attachment 19099
I bought some Aquaray Aquabeam 600 Ultra for better night light and fluorescence. It looks good! Glass lids are on and the beams are sitting just on top of them.
I ran Aquaray for over a year. I have mixed feelings about them. I only use two 600 strips for fade in and out but my mail lights are not Aquarays. All up i had nine 600 and one HD1500 tile. Also the 8 channel controller.

E

ezza

Yeah, while the LFS I bought them from loves them, the one I trust a little more hates them. It was a price thing and immediacy thing as much as anything. I would love to replace my T5s with something like Kessil lights or the other ones they carry at asquith. It's a cost thing that prevents me from changing over earlier.

@somethingfishy76 , I'd like to know more about your experience with the lights.

Str8edge

Mar 10, 2013
Shepparton
Which store did you pick them up from @ezza? I was thinking about picking up some blue strips to use to adjust the colour temperature on the new build..

E

ezza

The water quality is fine enough for all the other fish! I just did a test, nitrates are still present, but they're down at the lowest end of the scale. I have a lot of trouble determining the amount when the colour is not dark enough to block out the comparison chart swatch, but you can see some colour. The carbonate hardness has dropped slightly, but this was anticipated and I have been buffering it (due to phosphate reactor). I don't know if the fish were healthy honestly. I never wanted wild caught fish, but I bought them and it's probably simply stress and not-the-ocean-anymore. He was doing so well, he ate all this Caulerpa that had been growing on my rocks and he looked perfect until... Well... He no longer did.

E

ezza

I found my daughter's Coral Goby! He's taken up residence inside a rock cave. I must get some Acro for him.

image.jpg

E

ezza

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Starting to see a lot of growth and development in coral polyps and coraline algae. I expect it's due to the negligible phosphates and nitrates under 10. I've been buffering PH with the alk mix in Randy's recipe. I'm happy. :)

E

ezza

My BTA b'ed again. Always a rare and exciting event!
image.jpg

I moved some rocks around -after- cleaning the tank. Don't ask me why I did it in that order! It looks better now. I must get some more coral gum though to hold the centre highest rock firm. It fell down ages ago and prompted my last rescape , but I want to take advantage of both the horizontal and vertical, the corals look better spread out this way. It looks semi decent (to me ). I am unsure of my leather's placement as he gets a bit floppy, and the rooster 's comb or whatever that is called (another leather variant). I can't wait to see my rocks covered in corals with gorgeous Acro and other things reaching toward the heavens.
image.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Starting to take shape, @ezza! REally liking the scape - not usually a fan of one large piece (I prefer space between multiple structures), but you've done yours really well so it looks cool but pretty natural.

E

ezza

Thanks @chimaera, the left and right pieces are separate really, they're kind of like stonehenge rocks and are basically free standing. i have rested a piece of rock across to the central pillar just cos it looked ok that way and gives a slightly greater stability to the stonehenge bits. there are gaps that you probably can't see that the fish hide in and swim around. the central rocks are two big texas holey rock pieces with 3 smaller live rock bits on top to make the upright pieces and shelf.

i want to be able to layer the corals vertically so i can see everything and there is room for growth. i would really like some acro and birdsnest pieces to sit in the space voids on the left and right. it would be cool to be able to put some plating corals in and somehow stick them to the back wall. whether or not that happens, i guess we will see!