Tank Journal Archive

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Salty's 5x2x2
Introduction: Hi

Reefing Since: Yesterday

System Objectives: A BIG nano (for the time being)

Type of reef: Mixed

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: December 2012

Display Tank Dimensions: 5 x 2 x 1.5

Display Lighting: T5/LED

Stand: Yes

Hood or Rimless: Rimless

Sump Design: 3 x 1.5 x 1.5

Filtration: Zeovit

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: ASW

Display Water circulation: Tunze

Return Pump: Eheim

Skimmer: Tunze

Evaporation Top Up: Yes

Chemical additions: Zeo

Calcium Addition: Yes

Alkilinity Addition: Yes

Magnesium Addition: Yes

Prodibiotics Addition: Zeo

Coral Food Addition: Zeo

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
After many month of thinking and planning the time came for design, and there were several things that needing some thought. Build costs needed to be taken into consideration as this was the first stage in what potentially will be a long term hobby. This was a DIY build and although I have experience in this field it was not to become time consuming and extend for huge periods of time and all materials used needed to be able to be worked with in the standard garage with everyday tools but still being able to achieve a high quality build and finish.

The unit must incorporate:
- Stand must support 650kg plus with no centre support brace
- Stand must incorporate all aquarium equipment without being massivly oversized (Sump, Computer, Dosing Pump, Chiller, Dosing Chems., RO Water for ATO, All bits and pieces (food, additives, test kits, etc), Skimmer, Reacters, etc)
- The stand must be wired so 1 power cord exits the unit to wall mains.
- Overall design to be unique (As far as aquarium stands go) and to compliment existing furniture and decor.
- The complete unit must be able to be fairly easily moved in the event of a house move.

This is a quick sketch I put together just so I able to show my wife.
Screen Shot 2012-08-27 at 3.57.59 PM.png

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
The tank was an off the shelf 5x2x2 from Reeflections. Ernies tank builder is great and highly recommended. I used a couple of sheets high density styrofoam as the base, cut to size and a few dab of silicon to secure it in place.

IMG_0497.jpg

Being an off the shelf tank the drilled holes are generic sizes to fit 2 x 3/4 and 1 x 1 1/2 bulkheads. Having looked into pipe size flow rates I wanted to be able to allow for higher flow rates but was hindered by the holes sizes by a few mm, so out came the die grinder.
IMG_0565.jpg

A couple of min later and the hole allowed for a 1" bulkhead and higher flow rates if ever needed. Next was the backing, My idea was to put together some artwork consisting of a blue gradient featuring some blurred & faded aqua scaping to give the aquarium perspective and depth. Print, coat and the apply to the tank, instead as good as I could have looked I convinced myself that aquarium should tell the story and not be hindered by such features so I decided on Black SAV. Good quality vinyl was used to make sure it would out last the tank, easy of installation, resistance to saltwater and to maintain its new look for years to come.
IMG_0566.jpg

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Here is the beginning of the stand build. After doing the sums and calculating timber sizes required to support the weight without centre bracing it was time to start construction, I wanted to make sure that I allowed for a little overkill in the structure design. I alway feel a little apprehensive when sticking my head under something that weighs over half a ton :confused:. So the plan was drawn, timber was cut and then assembly began. This stand will form the basis of cabinet.
IMG_0498.JPG

This is the assembled stand about to get cross bracing. Cousin is preforming the all important lean test. So far so good :)
IMG_0499.JPG

This is the completed stand with about 1.5m x 1m of open access space. Finished it off with a good sand to level off all edges ready for the next step.
IMG_0501.JPG

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Stand completed and time for cladding the stand. Boxed up section arranged to frame the stand and create false sides. Also allowed for a little step on the top edge to hide styrofoam and aquaria base.
IMG_0522.JPG

Completed cladded stand, or now cabinet. Attached doors/panels for sides space access and smoothed all surfaces. Had to decide what finish I wanted at this stage and was deciding between, Paint, Propanel, Laminex or Veneer.
IMG_0539.JPG

Front view of the cabinet, I mocked up a 4ft sump out of cardboard so I could give some thought to actual space. Have to admit it all went to plan and didn't need to pull apart and redo (for once ) but then again there were still a few undecided factors that I was leaving to the last minute.
IMG_0537.JPG

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
I got a tin of Enamel paint in the second/miss tint section at bunnings to coat and protect the workable areas of the cabinet. Made sure I coated and sealed any edges that may be exposed to water putting an end to swelling timber before it even starts. I decided to give as many coats as I could so used all the paint. Also went by a local kitchen bench top manufacturer thats been around for donkies and because of this they have massive amount of laminate offcuts. It took me about 3 hours to look through 1000's of sheets but finally found a nice wood grain and at a good price too. As soon as I find more pics Ill update again. :)

IMG_0553.JPG

IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0550.JPG