Tank Journal Archive

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
So, next step was, laminate and finish the cabinet, move the cabinet in place, put the tank on top and start to think about electrical. Also start the sump, race track style cause I want it to go real fast ;)

IMG_0579.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG
IMG_0693.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Oh hey, your silicon isn't white! :p

Nice job, looks like a well thought out sump design. DSB and Macro?

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
So now my first hurdle. I had to pull my existing tank apart so I could get my live rock out and scaped into the new tank all while maintaining the existing environment and on the other had establishing a new environment; so to do this I devised a master plan.

First things first, electrical,
IMG_0764.JPG

Gravel and water
IMG_0598.JPG

Equipment placement
IMG_0706.JPG

When arranging to move my live rock from tank 1 to the other I obviously stirred things up. Next morning the water cleared up and some of my corals never looked better. Amazing what a good feed of fish poop can do ;).
IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.JPG

V.1
IMG_0984.jpg

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
great stand build.....also like the light.

How is it suspended over the tank ? is it DIY LED/T5

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Wow love it! Give us some close up shots.
Cheers, will do :)

great stand build.....also like the light.

How is it suspended over the tank ? is it DIY LED/T5

Thanks, Lights are DIY LEDs 48 x 3w crees 50/50 cool white and royal blue. There were just taken off my older setup and placed onto the bracing on the new tank for the time being. They need to be disassembled, redesigned and reassembled. I do plan on having the final lights looking similar but need fine tune a few things like the unit sitting on the bracing (I cringe thinking about it). Show Us your DIY led setups

Second chimaeras post more close ups!

V.1?? Is that an old pic and the scape has since changed??

Spot on Sarg, V.1. Will look for pics. Scape was pretty much from old system and was just transported from one system to the other.

Old tank - Sorry bout the pic.
IMG_0022.JPG

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Here are some more pics of V1 (Version 1) taken over the period of about a week or two. The system was for the most part running an intank 9006 skimmer as I will still sorting the sump out.
IMG_0797.JPG

Most corals were stressed from the move, deflation was pretty much the norm.
IMG_0985.JPG

Right side,
IMG_1109.JPG

Here you can see one of my great ideas :cool: (I thought so anyway). I regretted the centre overflow but already had the tank so tried to devise a way to hide it along with my pumps. Acrylic to cover the face of the weir and an extra 180mm or so from each edge bent back slightly which helps to make it disapear into the background. It worked well till V2 came along.
P9090038.JPG

Baby Yoko
IMG_0024.JPG

IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0885.JPG
IMG_1115.JPG

Spew the watchman
IMG_0010.jpg
IMG_0962.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG

My purple Magnifica, FWIW might be up for sale soon
IMG_0961.JPG
DSCF4011.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Well, really nice job on the central overflow ... I hadn't even spotted it was there!

If you ever sell teh watchman let me know ;)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Nice looking tank. Keep the pis coming. How do you find the watchmen - does it spread the sand everywhere or sit and sift?

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Nice looking tank. Keep the pis coming. How do you find the watchmen - does it spread the sand everywhere or sit and sift?
Watchman is fasntastic, I've had him since he was about 1.5-2 inches long. Yellow watchman gobies dont actually sift sand as part of the eating regime, they only so called sift when borrowing. Yellow headed sleeper gobies on the other hand can made a mess with sand. I have very fine sand so in my case when the sand is released over corals, flow tends to blow it off. :)

macca_75

Apr 22, 2012
Watchman is fasntastic, I've had him since he was about 1.5-2 inches long. Yellow watchman gobies dont actually sift sand as part of the eating regime, they only so called sift when borrowing. Yellow headed sleeper gobies on the other hand can made a mess with sand. I have very fine sand so in my case when the sand is released over corals, flow tends to blow it off. :)
Yeap - thats one of the reasons I'm dead set against yellow head sleepers in aquarium (the other being their really low long term survival rates).

I love the Orange spot gobies - they tend to fair better and sift close to the ground so it doesn't go everywhere.

I need something to turn the sand over and the watchman looks like it would be a really nice addition. More colorful than say a Six bar or similar.

Keep the pics coming....

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Yeap - thats one of the reasons I'm dead set against yellow head sleepers in aquarium (the other being their really low long term survival rates).

I love the Orange spot gobies - they tend to fair better and sift close to the ground so it doesn't go everywhere.

I need something to turn the sand over and the watchman looks like it would be a really nice addition. More colorful than say a Six bar or similar.

Keep the pics coming....
Bi Colour Goat fish are wicked. Awesome turnover rate, low mess, great temprement and personality. Good luck