Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Wow Mr @Salty decided to come to the reefuge party with some updates! Loved your photo story, as tragically as it ended ...

The new tank though, wow that's pretty! Wasn't sure many tank makers would do rimless for that kind of size, looks awesome and good to know as I was always worried about being forced to have braces one day.

Weir looks good too - where did you get it cut?

Oh and finally, while you get your tank sorted, if you need someone to store those rics I'm happy to help out. Promise they won't accidentally meet my scalpel ... ;)

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Weir was done at my local acrylic supplier. There are two I can recommed in the dandenong area. 1. Plastics for industry 2. Indesign plastics. In this case go mine done at plastics for industry. They take care of me there cause I often get things done and more so this time cause of the complications but i would allow two bills. Cost would also differ cause I supplied artwork/plan.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Thanks mate, the lower slots is something more so seen in the states. Rarely seen in areas where glass tanks are prominent. Helps increase water circulation/filtration, reduce dead stop and detritus. Would also increase oxygen and nitrogen exchange I guess.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Yeah I have a biolife tank and the original weir had slots at the bottom but hear there are different types of success stories but I personally liked the idea although the guy I bought it off stripped it for some reason and cracked it so ended up getting it made from any size any shape in taren point n they were spot on laser cut got pics in my TJ

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Tanks wet with sand. Used my old display fine sand and have ordered some 1-2 mm stuff also to add some variety. My only requirement is that it's white and according to my info it should be. Used almost a full bucket of TM Bio-Actiff salt to fill the tank so gotta get some more salt too. Im gonna run the display water level fairly high, about 15mm from the top. Sitting back and seeing this and the tank being rimless make ur heart skip a beat but I really like the look of it, livin on the edge. Being that my overflow doesn't work like the traditional overflow, should be able to have the level high, safely and dead silent.

image.jpg

Also stripped the sump, cleaned it, modified it and set it up again. More salt to make the mix o:. Plumbing was fairly straight forward after I decided what I was actually doing. Still might be a few mods but ill let time tell wether to do them or not. Added clowns and some nems to the sump and snails to the display cause I'm running out of buckets.

image.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Looks awesome! I am sure hands in the tank would just overflow more water, right? But then not sure how your overflow is working so maybe not!

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Tank still has two wave makers so I've got about a half inch wave. Hands in not and issue as there is an emergency overflow so when water get to about 8mm from the top water flows into the E-overflow. Might sound touchy using mm but keep in mind I'm talking volume so mm actually equals liters :) don't jinx me

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Here are two inspirations. Both have a couple of key elements that I want to incorporate rather than just trying to just copy their aqua scrapes. Did a lot of looking and decided that great looking rock aquascape doesn't mean it gonna look good when covered in corals so I took this into consideration too. Surprisingly it didn't take long to do and I'm really happy with the final results. I dont think my pics do it justics cause its hard to differentiate between pieces of rock. Any ideas appreciated :)
image.jpg
image.jpg