Tank Journal Archive

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
I was gonna string this tread along slowly to bring it to datebut cause things have been hectic and messy of late I will bring it to date with a little photo story.

Ok so I woke one day and decide I no long liked my aquascape so I tore it down to experiment.
photo05.JPG

Wanted to try something different and achive a floating reef. This is a progress shot.
photo06.JPG

Another
photo07.JPG

and another. At this point still not finished but I realised to achive exactly what I was after and to do it to a high standard that I would essential have to build a new aquarium to allow for a suspended shelf that apear to float. Also when pricing it up I thing just the adhesive to be able to achive this was several hundreds for about 250ml or something :eek
photo08.JPG

So I decided to rip it down again and aquascape. Note that time passed between each step. As you may notice I masked my tanks dimensions onto a work bench as a guid to work within and started to This is one of my progress shots. I wantd several independent structures so that the fish could swim between, around, under and over.
photo09.JPG

This one of my final structures. Aquascaping was done over a long night of about 8hrs into the early morning in order to keep the rock happy.
photo10.JPG

This was pretty much a day or two later. Overall was happy apart from the centre structure which ended up being a little pile of rock that I couldnt fit into the sump. Fish loved the sace. Blue tang was race around in figure 8's and loops, etc as fast as it could.
photo11.JPG

A little hard to see in the pic above but the two far structures (left & right) sit far back, centered scape sat tank center and the two smaller scapes sat tank forward. So looking from the side of the tank there were like three rows of structures. Very 3D'ish, pics never did it justice. You can kinda see what I'm rambling on about here.
photo16.JPG

A few random shots: Colour coming back
photo12.JPG

Ric garden
photo13.JPG

more recent shot about 4-6 months ago. No zeo here just stared to use ASW if I remember correctly?
photo14.JPG

Some more rics
photo15.JPG

This was the last FTS I took. All pics iPhone. Was running pretty smoothly. Compare to the shot a few above and with the addition of a sveral other acros, colour and growth were improving day to day. At this stage was adding some zeo additives to get paramaters spot on. still had some way to go though.
photo17.JPG

One day early last week I discovered this. :(
photo18.JPG

Which lead to this
photo19.JPG

And this
photo20.JPG

and this over a few hours. Not to forget that my farg tanks are also chockas and I have several other tub going around the house too.
photo21.JPG

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
A few day late put this 10L bad boy together with a few bits and pices I had about thinking it would make me feel better.......... Didn't help.
photo.JPG

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
This morning this bad boy arrived. Ernie (Reeflections) tanks are the ultimate. Lee your a gun. Slight cahnge from the old one: 5 x 2 x 1.5 rimless/braceless. I'm starting to feel better :D. Time for me to go organise my custom CNC'd weir. Catch
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
So much work to have to tear it down but a lot better than losing the lot! The scapes all looked great, the last fts was just stunning. Hope you can get it back to its former glory!
The way I see it was that the mrs would more so appreciate her carpet without 500+ litres of water. lol ;) I have lost a few as of last weekend from corals stinging each other but other wise everything is pretty good. Frag tank stock and coral have lost colour, I'm guessing cause I added so many coral at once but other than that all pretty stable, water is gooooood; I do say this though without having looked at my corals and fish in over a week to see if everyone present and coral have space

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Sad to hear of your loss but good to see you getting back on the horse!

I cant wait to see this back in action and hope it gets back to its former glory sooner rather than later.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Stay positive mate one of the best tanks when it was running use that as your incentive to stay positive

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
New tank looks good mate!
The scape pics looked nice & the floating scape is a really cool idea, will you be trying something like that in this tank? Hope so lol.

Hope the bulk of your corals make it through the transition, keep the pics coming! :)

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
looking good Simon.

Did you go with Starphire or normal glass?
Hey John, nah no star fire for me just float. One thing I'm opting for is a lot more top down viewing.

Sad to hear of your loss but good to see you getting back on the horse!

I cant wait to see this back in action and hope it gets back to its former glory sooner rather than later.
Cheers @VaultBoy, spent most of today getting odds and ends so ill at it all weekend. I'm hoping to get just the tank wet with sand but will see how I go. So much to do.

WOW new tanks looks like its going to be sweet!!!!!
Thanks @GhostRPH, fingers crossed.

Stay positive mate one of the best tanks when it was running use that as your incentive to stay positive
Will do @leodb89, I wouldn't have rated it anywhere near "one of best" but thanks for your kind words buddy. Yeah never been one to cry over spilt milk so ahead we go. :)

New tank looks good mate!
The scape pics looked nice & the floating scape is a really cool idea, will you be trying something like that in this tank? Hope so lol.

Hope the bulk of your corals make it through the transition, keep the pics coming! :)
Hey @Synodontis, thank champ. Would have liked to but need to get stock back into a stable tank ASAP so maybe next time cause it would need a lot of planning to be done well. At the moment I'm thinking very minimalistic but the down side to that is that minimum corals so I'm gonna play it by ear. One thing I'm 99% decided on is that this tank will be a BIG nano ;)

firebird

Aug 2, 2011
Whatever you do with the new tank,I know it'll be breathtaking:D -what a nightmare
had this once with a FW tank-palpitations deluxe!!

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Whatever you do with the new tank,I know it'll be breathtaking:D -what a nightmare
had this once with a FW tank-palpitations deluxe!!
Thanks @firebird, id like it to be so I'm not cutting corners and fixing all the "wish I hadda's". Lol, know what u mean about palpitations

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Ok so the weir part or my project started yesterday at 9am. Jumped onto the Mac and double checked sizing, angles, etc on my file to be cnc'd and off to acrylic supplier. The boys they're finish at 2 on Fridays plus Xmas party was to follow so had about 4 hrs to get it done. Let the fun begin.
I got my first call saying they were worried about folding it after the cnc so I went back to discuss. Decided to mitre cut and glue instead so all was back on track.
Got another call after so saying the accidentally cut it in the wrong direction. My heart sank and made my way back to them and discovered that my thought about cutting it in the complete wrong direction was wrong and the only cut the mitre on the wrong side of the sheet. Keep in mind the margin or error I allowed was 5mm. Anyway another cut and another error. Third time back and I decided to step in and into the factory I went.
After a little pondering and not wanting to put a damper on anyones Friday let alone Xmas party I requested a few quick, super fine cuts so not to lose anymore size and left with two seperate flat routered pieces rather than one completed piece
Quick trip to bunnings, 4 hrs and this morning woke to find this. Very happy, the effort make it so much more worth it.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg