Tank Journal Archive

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Made my first ever video today while having dinner. Yes lots to improve on.
Just used Imovie. Just a short clip of a few corals moving.

Ignore the sand blowing around everywhere.. I purchased two new powerheads so sand hasn't settled yet.

[vimeo]46961276[/vimeo]

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__001_resize.jpg

My Gf's coral is coming back to life. The fluro green bits is what has grown in my tank. Looks amazing in person.
She had to move recently so she shut down her tank and I kept most of her corals.
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__002_resize.jpg

Close up of my elegance coral:
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__003_resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__004_resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__005_resize.jpg

Does anyone know the name of this coral? My neighbour gave it to me about 1.5 years ago. Been growing like crazy in my tank!!
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__006_resize.jpg

This use to be a tiny coral when I purchased it from Itzmatty ages ago. Grown so much!!
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__008_resize.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Does anyone know the name of this coral? My neighbour gave it to me about 1.5 years ago. Been growing like crazy in my tank!!
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__006_resize.jpg

This use to be a tiny coral when I purchased it from Itzmatty ages ago. Grown so much!!
Beautiful shots as always, Sidd.

This one looks like a Rhodactis? Hard to tell this close up, but the polyps remind me of one.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for letting me know. Google searched it and looks very similar so might be it.
Always thought it was some sort of carpet coral.

So on more exciting news.

I sent dave from extremereef an email for a quote on a 4x2.5x2 tank :)
Not sure if its worth getting starphire but I will get a quote for both types of glass and see if its a huge difference.

What do you all think?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Lovely zoas! Or maybe it's just the quality of photo that makes me want them, haha.

Starphire is always a big question ... from what I have seen, the quote difference you get will be huge, so might not be worth it. It's a shame there is no mid-level alternative available like the low-iron glass used in Asia.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
I want more variety of zoos. There are a few corals and things in my tank I haven't really taken any pictures off. So slowly taking pics of them now. Had those zoos for a while now. Would love some pink/purple ones. Any sponsors reading this PM me if you have some for sale.

In regards to the glass: Well to be honest I have had just normal glass for the past 4 years and never said to myself.. "hmm wish my glass was more clear"....
So might just stick to normal glass. Also never seen starphire glass in person either so cant compare. Or maybe I can just get the front glass to be starphire and the other three to be normal glass. That might save costs as well.

Thanks for the info dude :)

----
My chromis:

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__011_resize.jpg

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_FishSept__012_resize.jpg

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Nice pics, but why would we expect any less.

Having seen vp's new tank it's easy to see the difference in the thicker glass that's for sure. I was going to get a starphire front and the difference was only $100-150 so it shouldn't be that bad.

If the quote is reasonable wtf not... yeah 8-)

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
Tanks looking great Sidd. I have some hot pink zoos I could frag if you managed to frag the gigantic leather you have! I missed out last time you fragged it!

The unidentified coral from a couple of posts up looks to be a Rhodactus. I have a few in my tank and the grow like crazy!

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
The price difference wasn't much for just starphire front panel so going to go with that.

I can send you a big piece of the leather coral. Its growing like crazy again and blocking light from the corals below!! Oh and thanks for letting me know about the name. Much appreciated. Oh and yes please lets do a swap? Would love to have some pink zoos.

Alright so after considering the upgrade for so long I decided on the following:

Display Tank:
- 4x2.5x2 in 12mm float glass (front panel being starphire), with a single piece euro corner, internal weir (3 holes) with black Perspex cover. Back to be painted black also.

Sump:
- 3x20x20 in 6 mm glass with 3 baffle chambers

Stand:
-Steel frame painted and clad with MDF painted with glass enamel paint and light hanging pole

Well its not a big upgrade in terms of volume of the tank, but I wanted my next tank to be much neater.

Would have loved to go 5ft long, but just dont have the space.

What do you guys think of the new setup? Anything that needs to be changed or added?

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Man can I send you a frag next week sometime? Totally flat out this week with so much work.

If anyone else wants some frags please let me know. Plenty left. But pick up only.

Thanks