Tank Journal Archive

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Update time :)

- Purchased a Rainbow Acan. Will get some pics soon.
- Purchased a Ecotech Radion Led Unit. Cant wait for it to arrive.
- Also Dave from extremereef is in the final stages of getting my design all done for the new tank. So will be ordering it next week. Probably take him about 5-6 weeks to make.

So over the next few weeks I gotta start planning my tank move.

Really hope the blue tang doesnt get stressed and brings back the white spots. Thats my only concern!! Fingers crossed.

Otherwise i got two 500L drums so one drum can contain all my corals and rocks.
The other drum can have the fish in it.

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
New tank sounds the goods that extra 1/2 foot will make a heap of difference. Would have loved to go that wide but my room is too small as it is.

Do you think you will need extra lighting for coverage?

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Cant wait. Deposit paid today so should be all finished in about 6 weeks time (fingers crossed).

Not sure hense why I also purchased the Ecotech Led units. Heard they give a wide spread of light.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
No Real updates.. Still waiting on dave to finish my new tank.

here is my new sump design.

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_Mynewsump.jpg

Other news:

I'm getting ready for my new tank so going to be selling some corals from my old tank.

First up is a leather coral which is sitting on a purple monti. Hard to explain. Basically I bought a large purple monti which had a few random corals growing on top of it. One of them being a leather coral which has grown heaps. You can still the purple monti on the sides.

Price: $50.. neg..

Pics:

ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_7W3A2000_resize.jpg

You can see the purple monti on the side.
ai575.photobucket.com_albums_ss200_sidd_rishi_7W3A2002_resize.jpg

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Some bad news guys
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_rtaw_cry.gif

- My yellow tang past away last night.

I went away for a few days on a business trip and as soon as I landed back in Sydney I got a call from my sister saying my yellow tang is dead. I was a little shocked (it was my fav fish in my tank).
I know for a fact that all my fish are super healthy and they looked completely fine the day I left. Water was very milky and smelt bad.

Came home to find some of my sps frags bleached, my hammer corals looking dead (its still alive but looks very bad), and same with most of my corals (looking half dead). Its like some one had poisoned my tank.
I honestly had no idea what it could have been.

The yellow tang had no signs on it to tell me what happened (eg - did he get stuck on something, or eaten, or stung etc etc)... The body looked completely fine. So Im still looking around my tank to see what the hell it could have been.. Then my sis suggested what if the crab is dead in the sump..

and what do you know.. The freaking crab I saved is dead. I did feed it brine shrimp or pellets every few days but im assuming it didn't like that diet.

So im assuming its been dead for a few days and its slowly leaking ammonia into the tank??? The only thing I can think of.

The crabs shell was very soft and just crumbled into your fingers.

Could the crab have done this?

So spent couple of hours last night doing a massive water change. Water is still looking milky this morning. Hope I dont loose anything else.. Sigh

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Also my blue tang keeps swimming directly in front of the powerhead. Its not eating the nori either.

:(

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Man that totally blows. I guess a 6cm crab could well provide a massive ammonia spike if it rotted away. I guess just keep trying massive water changes until it gets out of the system ... :(

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
No good :(

Have you got any carbon to add to the tank to soak up some of the nasties?? If youve ever cleaned a crab to eat there is alot of gunk in there.

good luck.

LEG-IT

Feb 12, 2012
Bossley Park
Damn, no good to hear sidd..
Everything looked so healthy when me and leo were there, sorry to hear man

I'm pretty sure leo couldn't find the crab in the sump either the night we went to yours? perhaps it may have been dead since then?

aussieant32

Team Leader
Feb 19, 2012
Sutherland, Australia
sad news mate, never good.

New tank sounds nice though, had a chat to Dave about your build when I was going through mine. Sounds like our sump is going to be set up pretty much the same.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Yeah been doing regular water changes. First day I did half tank water change.
Also Adam will be delivering me more water on Wednesday.

Could have been the crab rotting away (only thing I can really think of).

Going to miss my yellow tang. Tank just looks so empty right now.

Rest of my fish are still little stressed. But atleast my blue tang is now eating. However the flame angle hasn't come out of the rocks :(

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Tanks looking much better today
awww.masa.asn.au_phpBB3_images_smilies_icon_biggrin.gif

My blue tang has improved a bit and is eating which is great news. However my flame angel still hasn't come out of the rocks. I can see him hiding in the back.

Also ordered some zeovit carbon so should arrive tomorrow hopefully.
Will do another big water change today.

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Tanks looking a lot better today. Corals are starting to open up much more and colours are starting to come back.

Though my flame angle still hides in the rocks, but looks like he has been injured. I can see big mark on side of him. Not sure from what but I hope he comes out of the rocks soon so I can get a closer look.

Miss my yellow tang :(

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
Cant wait. Deposit paid today so should be all finished in about 6 weeks time (fingers crossed).

Not sure hense why I also purchased the Ecotech Led units. Heard they give a wide spread of light.
you may need more then you think their usable par isn't very spread out, how many units did you get?

Sidd

Jul 15, 2011
Yeah getting new tank built.

I got one unit for now (just to play with). I'm not using it over the tank just yet. Waiting for my new tank to arrive first.
Then will get another one.

Also got the lens kit as well which helps give more spread of light.

Reactions: MTG