Reef Discussion

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Great. I was thinking of something similar too. Do u use some RO to rinse it off or jusy tap water?
I think you could put it in and it would be absolutely fine as the "dust" is just the grounds of the sintered glass from rubbing. But I gave mine a quick wash with RO just cos it felt right lol

I wouldn't use tap water as the siporax will absorb a lot of water (as it's so porous)

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I added a turf scrubber to one of the shop systems that has 10l of Siporax on it to see what happens. The tank is either WAY too damn full or damn near empty. I like to experiment with things just to see what happens.

desi_reefer

Jan 12, 2017
I went to the two dollar shop and found some great plastic organiser perforated containers to hold the Sips. Kinda makes a far neater option and time saver than making egg crate boxes.
Care to upload a picture mate please?

I have just filled a bucket with fresly mixed salt water added few drops of aquaforest PRO BIO S and NP PRO and soaked all the siporax in there for seeding. After 18hrs took a couple of bags and chucked them in the sump and left the other bag to incubate for another 24 hours. Just a microbiologist approach

Will test water and post them here and will test progression as well.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Care to upload a picture mate please?

I have just filled a bucket with fresly mixed salt water added few drops of aquaforest PRO BIO S and NP PRO and soaked all the siporax in there for seeding. After 18hrs took a couple of bags and chucked them in the sump and left the other bag to incubate for another 24 hours. Just a microbiologist approach

Will test water and post them here and will test progression as well.
I'll take pics when i get home.
Yap, Siporax inoculation is a topic close to my heart. Here is a link to my frothing.
http://thereefuge.com/threads/sippin-cocktails.14221/

Susan Bates

Jan 18, 2015
Hi How long before i should expect to see my nitrates drop, i put the last 3lts of 10lts in the sump about a month ago

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Mine are dropping now, 2 months into the experiment. I haven't seen any speed difference in this with seeding. I used 3 different bacteria cultures and meh, nothing different. Like I said before, save your money for corals.

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
I think I've found the limit of my 2 litres of siporax in my 70 litre tank.. :rofl
Just tested nitrate and phospate for the first time in about 2 months.
Only reason I did is I've had a decline in coralline algae and some sps have looked not brown but way to dark with slow growth, actually no growth.
I was a bit surprised at the numbers but I have been feeding a terrible amount of food. Like 4 times a day lol
Nitrate 50ppm
Phos 1.74ppm
:banghead
Amazingly I have not got a spec of algae in the tank, in fact other than algae on the glass there is none anywhere in the tank.
I'll reduce feedings back to once a day and let it drop with water changes and monitor.

Adam_w

Jul 6, 2016
Hey everyone, anyone else having Cyano blooms since adding the Siporax?

I've got one going on at the moment and it seems to go away and comes straight back.

doing a bit of research and someone mentioned that using something like this can cause a ph drop which then causes a cyano breakout

"Nitrate removal via the properties of microbes often reduces ph and can lead to cyanobacteriaoutbreaks and unwanted hazing on the aquarium glass."

Working on trying to figure out the levels for putting kalk in my ato to counteract this but is anyone else having it?

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Sporadic cyano outbreaks will happen using any nitrate removal. I've put algae turf scrubbers online and I still have them.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I think I've found the limit of my 2 litres of siporax in my 70 litre tank.. :rofl
Just tested nitrate and phospate for the first time in about 2 months.
Only reason I did is I've had a decline in coralline algae and some sps have looked not brown but way to dark with slow growth, actually no growth.
I was a bit surprised at the numbers but I have been feeding a terrible amount of food. Like 4 times a day lol
Nitrate 50ppm
Phos 1.74ppm
:banghead
Amazingly I have not got a spec of algae in the tank, in fact other than algae on the glass there is none anywhere in the tank.
I'll reduce feedings back to once a day and let it drop with water changes and monitor.
Have you worked out how fast your Nitrate and phos drop if you withheld feeding for a day?

Mattres

May 26, 2015
Adelaide
Have you worked out how fast your Nitrate and phos drop if you withheld feeding for a day?
No I haven't actually. Works been a bit hectic lately with 12 hour days so I've just been testing sundays but I'm on a sicky today and just did some tests! So I won't feed and try and get another test tomorrow morning or night.

Here's my results for the past 4 weeks though. In that time there have been two 15% water changes.
IMG_2092.PNG

Ben Daley

/dev/null
Dec 23, 2016
Melbourne
Impressive results!
I'm keen to try this out too on my new build.
I looked at the [few] advertised prices locally and ended up ordering 15L for $210AUD (shipped) from this seller on ebay.

Unfortunately I cannot post a URL yet:
ebay domain + /itm/371666410784