Reef Discussion

Mar 1, 2014
Might be time for a water change - it may stimulate her appetite again. Apart from keeping water quality up, it mimics what can happen on the reef where water is drawn out and then floods back in bringing food with it. I watched this happening with some dragonettes in Port Phillip Bay, the water would draw out, then surge in, going cloudy, then clear and they would have a big feed right after
Hmmm have to collect water then. Only have twenty litres left. This girl is in the sump of my main tank.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Ocean Nutrition do frozen ones and Deer Park usually have them :) I'm going to be on the other side of town tomorrow so I let you know if there's any on that side tomorrow

Mar 1, 2014
Today's update!
Yay she is on the bottle (well in the bottle) and eating a variety.
So I have tiney newly hatched brine to entice and then lobster and blood worms for her to try and eat.

As you can see from the pics compared the the first set that her tail is looking good ! Always want her fatter but she has now been in my care for two weeks.

@shovie I hope this post can help you.

Attachments

Mar 1, 2014
Hi guys,

Quick update on the girl.

She seems to be doing great at the moment but for some reason my boy is bobbing for apples (in another thread if you have not seen). She is eating very well and always hunting. Putting on weight slowly and the tail in nearly healed.
She loves the boy and has danced for him but he doesn't have the energy to play that game. I'm keeping my fingers crossed as they sleep more to nose and are very cute together.

TIP. I don't know why I didn't think of it.
I warmed up a garlic slice in some salt water to infuse the flavor faster, I let it cool slightly and added my frozen food and added to the mandarin area while still warm. Because it was stronger in aroma they seemed to be more excited. So maybe like humans. Everything taste better warmer

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Here's a pic of my two today. Scooter's accept prepared foods a lot more readily than Mandarins. I'm feeding them Ocean Nutrition lobster eggs (thanks Firebird and Wrangy), Hikari mysis, Hikari bloodworms, Ocean Nutrition Coral Invertebrate, Hikari Brine Shrimp.

One is doing really well, the other is not putting on weight at all but eating well. Nothing is guaranteed, but I do think it will make it. There is a bit of jealousy over food happening so I'm moving the larger one to another tank to separate them.

IMAG0715.jpg

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
I don't know if you eat corn on the cob down there, but it's an American delicacy. We have these small trays the size of an ear of corn, maybe 5cm wide by 15cm long, the trick is to not have high sides so you can bury it partially in the sand so they'll go in it readily. If you have access to a small oblong tray like that it would make a great feeding station for these guys. Also, get a piece of rigid airline and put it in what ever feeding station you choose so you can GENTLY blow water out of it to make the those lobster eggs move. Most fish will react to moving foods. You can also feed them black worms there too so they can be removed if uneaten.

As for your male that's stopped eating, try grabbing a black worm by the end and see if he'll take it from a pair of tweezers. Make sure you gut load those live brine shrimp with something as well, preferably green water.

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Saltwater forums, the only place where it is acceptable to be excited about your fish crapping :P haha

She's looking really good :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Found a way to feed bloodworms a bit easier, I cut a frozen cube in half and nestle it in the sand so that most of it stays sticking out when it defrosts and they have food available to them for a longer time. I tried to take a vid of the little one eating from her 'feeding station' but she froze with half a worm sticking out of her mouth as soon as the camera came out. Its hard to see because of the black sand, but the cube of bloodworms is directly behind her.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne

This little guy has been on her own for nearly 2 weeks now as I separated the two scooters so she could eat without being harassed. Trying to be patient but I've seen no weight gain the entire time I've had her. Eating really well, but much more active than the other one so I'm guessing that's why, hope she doesn't have worms or something. She is being fed 3 times a day and gets either brine shrimp, blood worms or lobster eggs. She doesn't like mysis. She still looks happy and active. Only other step I can take is try to get her to eat pellets. If that doesn't work I'll have to be content with how things are