Reef Discussion

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Do you have access to black worms? Treat them with Reef Plus or Selcon right before you feed them. You need high fat foods to help put weight back on her.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've been doing the rounds of the shops lately and they aren't selling them. I might order some in like Mr Reeefer did.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
We just got back from Fish Place. 4 dead Mandarins, a dozen or so that were emaciated to where I'd say they're too far gone, none that I'd purchase.

The Scooter blennies were just as bad and the poor little red scooters were stick thin. :(

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
We just got back from Fish Place. 4 dead Mandarins, a dozen or so that were emaciated to where I'd say they're too far gone, none that I'd purchase.

The Scooter blennies were just as bad and the poor little red scooters were stick thin. :(
Its sad isn't it. Honestly I only took my scooters on because I haven't rescued any wildlife in a while and I was having withdrawals. The first two weeks I spent 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day watching them eat because I know if I don't I won't notice quick enough if they are not eating enough, missing out or declining. Its a lot of work getting them right and even worse to pay for the privilege of doing so. That amount of time spent isn't sustainable for more than a few weeks - good thing I don't watch TV :p

We're down to 10 mins a day now because they are stronger, settled in and eating faster.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
When I place the next order out of Kenya, I will be ordering scooters and mandarins from there. M isn't a fan, but I love them.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
I've been thinking lately that the Scooters aren't making any progress, so I looked back at the picture of them in the bucket a month ago only to realise that a) they have grown heaps and b) both of them have fat on their tails that wasn't there a month ago :) I'm also starting to think I may have two males, their top fins are getting pretty big but I only get a quick glimpse of them when they flare their fins.

@firebird and @Wrangy - really good call on the Lobster eggs. Between that and bloodworms its really gotten them over the line.

How's the female mandarin @Felicity goodall?

Wrangy

May 7, 2013
Research
Woohoo :D Good t hear they're going strong!!

I'm looking to get some bloodworms too, I got myself a nice fat red mandarin boy from @Buddy and he's loving the lobster eggs too! :) Where did you end up getting your bloodworms from?? And are you now culturing them yourself or just buying as you need? :)

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Here is the smallest of the two doing well - he's not fat but he's a good weight now. Excuse the background noises, had the phone right next to a pump to film it.

I feed them twice daily with frozen foods and if I don't have time I can just throw the food in and walk off now and they will hunt it down for themselves. This feeds them a meal but it wouldn't sustain them if I did it all the time. I make sure that at least every second day I turn the pumps off and put the food on the bottom of the tank where they can get a big belly full with little effort.

The scooters have both turned out to be males - as they've grown their first dorsal fin has gone from equal height to the back dorsal fin and rounded at the top to developing into a large, web shaped fin.

The bigger male has become best buddies with my Algae blenny, so I will keep them together. I'll get the smaller male a girlfriend when I can find one, have been keeping an eye out.

Mar 1, 2014
Oh I can't watch it cause my iPad can't get the latest version of you tube.
I got a small spotted male from a friend and even though I didn't think the chances of them getting on were good. I thought I would try. In the sump all he did was court with her and it was very cute because he was a third her size. She ignored him. And then the just left each other alone. So after a few days I put them in the dt to see how they would go.

After a day he wouldn't let her near the bottom of the tank to feed and started being mean so I caught her and sump she went. I did give her to a friend who has an infestation of pods so she can be happy and healthy. I did not make the decision easy mind you.

So...i am now looking for a female spotted for my little fella
Which I have noticed is hard to come by right now

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Interesting what you said about not letting the other one feed as that's why I separated the scooters.

Nothing wrong with playing mix and match with dragonettes - you got her past the hard part and sent her on her way healthy.

Agent M

Oct 21, 2011
Melbourne
Unfortunately my female scooter dragonet disappeared last week and hasn't been seen since. Considering she was always front and centre when I approached the tank I'd say that says it all. She appeared to be doing very well - had a big appetite and was being fed 3 times a day. Thinking back I never saw her pecking around the tank for pods outside of feeding times, so that is not normal. But I don't know what happened exactly, perhaps it was the initial starvation or she was killed some other way.

The boys are still doing well - the smallest male is going through a growth spurt and appears to be catching up to the larger male. He no longer looks fragile. I wouldn't dare put them together, they make their feelings clear through the tank divider separating them :)