Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
The Mostly-All-In-One RSM130
Introduction:

Seeing as how I'm new to these parts I thought I might break the ice and post up my current tank build. I have a build journal in progress on Nano-Reef but thought it might be nice to share my experiences with the locals :wink
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_MAIOv2_f621056a84c5d5c333ae7e0bc9d7c7d313589543.jpg

Reefing Since: 2011

System Objectives: To quote from my previous build journal - Before starting this project I have realised the importance of knowing clearly what I want to achieve versus working it out along the way. Simply saying "I want corals in a tank" just doesn’t cut it, and looking at some of the beautiful tanks out there, the common theme appears to be the forethought that went into getting it there. Now understanding the limitations of a AIO tank with a rear sump chamber and moderate T5 lighting means that some things are just not possible. So the plan is the following:
  • The tank will be a mixed reef to a degree (SPS/LPS)
  • The live rock will be removed or repositioned to accommodate the original plan of being able to easily clean all four sides of the tank
  • The top tier of the tank will be dedicated to easy to care for SPS colonies, a few at most in contrasting colours (to account for the lower PAR until the lights upgraded)
  • The next tier will be left for encrusting/plating corals with lower light requirements
  • The bottom tier will be for low light, soft corals /LPS, preferably non evasive but once again in low numbers to allow them to highlight each other and allow for growth
  • The sand will remain clear of corals
  • The single clown will remain ( my Wife bought it for our daughter)
  • Fish will be purchased to be appropriate to the size of the tank; at the moment considering a small hawk fish, a blenny (or Mandarin if the wife gets her way) and maybe something else depending on peoples suggestions and availability
As I am not looking to replicate a reef look 100% and are more interested in the aqua scaping the tank I want the tank to be very clean, with an emphasis on the colours that can be achieved in a marine tank. This means I am aiming for top notch filtration and cant afford to crash the tank every time the power goes off. Plus I haven's spent all this money to just look at algae! It is for that reason I have decided to use the ZEOvit methodology, as it allows me to run the sump with no refugium, although I have made allowances for a small refugium if required.

Type of reef: FOWLR at the moment, planned to be a mix of LPS/SPS as per above

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: March 2011

Display Tank Dimensions: 600mmx500mmx500mm (110l)

Display Lighting: Stock Compact T5 50/50 10k/Actinic

Stand: Stock RSM130 Cabinet

Hood or Rimless: Stock RSM130 Hood

Sump Design: 20l rear sump compartment with 2x550lph stock return pumps, recently added 30l small equipment sump in cabinet

Filtration: Live rock, sand bed and occasionally filter wool

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: I assume ASW, but is purchased in 20l drums from the LFS so no idea really - its wet which is good I guess

Display Water circulation: 2x 550lph stock circulation pump, 1x MP10wES Vortech

Return Pump: Generic 900lph from sump to the display sump

Skimmer: Tunze 9002 and a Aqua Medic Turboflotor Blue 500

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolater 5017

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: N/A

Alkalinity Addition: N/A

Magnesium Addition: N/A

Prodibiotics Addition: ZEOvit Basic started on 11/02/13

Coral Food Addition: N/A

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Hey @ViralEntity,

The power centre upgrade was very well done, can you come & do our's now? it needs to be done again.
Very nice Zeovit reactor!Something so simple & works a treat.
Now...where are the pics at???? :)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Haha thanks - it was a lot easier than it looks trust me! I will post some up to date pics once I get home as I have been taking heaps since I started with the ZEOvit dosing.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Well I've gone and jinxed myself - stupid Telstra DNS issue at home so no Internet for the last 2 days! Pics will follow soon I promise!

saint

Jan 23, 2012
Great looking build VE,

I saw it over on Nano Reef and i really enjoyed looking at all the work and DIY you have done

keep us updated:)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok time for some pics (hopefully this works!) Mind the crappy iPhone quality shots!

Scenery Shot:
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_MAIOv2_IMG_0263_zps8f8d93ea.jpg

FTS - At the start of this project:
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_IMG_0277_zpsfeedf353.jpg

LHS - At the start of the project:
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_IMG_0279_zps3b7458db.jpg

RHS - At the start of the project:
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_IMG_0278_zpsa0ecbe78.jpg

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
OK now the fun part is over, as I mentioned before I have planned on moving this system to a ZEOvit based tank. I have been dosing for 5 days now and so far I haven't seen the slightest change in anything. I know its still early, however after reading up on the forums I was worried about cyno outbreaks and worse, so I am taking no news as good news!

I have a water change planned today so I will run some water tests tonight and should see an improvement in my phosphate levels just because of the ZEOlite and Carbon. One issue I am having is with my skimmers - I can't seem to get them to tune in - so I will have to take some pics and get some advice.

Anyway, here is my tank after 5 days of ZEOvit dosing:
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_MAIOv2_IMG_0459_zps28cf6ec8.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
OK now the fun part is over, as I mentioned before I have planned on moving this system to a ZEOvit based tank. I have been dosing for 5 days now and so far I haven't seen the slightest change in anything. I know its still early, however after reading up on the forums I was worried about cyno outbreaks and worse, so I am taking no news as good news!

I have a water change planned today so I will run some water tests tonight and should see an improvement in my phosphate levels just because of the ZEOlite and Carbon. One issue I am having is with my skimmers - I can't seem to get them to tune in - so I will have to take some pics and get some advice.

Anyway, here is my tank after 5 days of ZEOvit dosing:
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_MAIOv2_IMG_0459_zps28cf6ec8.jpg
Is that a ghost in your tank?!?!

Tank looks great, I love the scape - nicely thought out for coral palcement.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I hope that is a tv reflection, or else you have yourself a haunted tank!

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
That's the weirdest thing, I can't work out what it could be. The TV doesn't reflect on it and I am certain it's not my wife's reflection as she was in hospital recovering from the birth of our daughter.

Creepy - and now my wife is convince we need an exorcist.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That's the weirdest thing, I can't work out what it could be. The TV doesn't reflect on it and I am certain it's not my wife's reflection as she was in hospital recovering from the birth of our daughter.

Creepy - and now my wife is convince we need an exorcist.
Shit, sorry for pointing it out! But it is super creepy :p
(I reckon it must be a TV reflection ... somehow ... assuming you have a TV in that room the angle caught it right).

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Argh I hate skimmers :mad:

I am really considering selling my Turboflotor Blue and Tunze 9002 and just getting one skimmer to replace them both! If I do this it will not only save power but most likely be more efficient - the challenge will be finding a skimmer that is adequete yet cheap enough to buy for the price of 2 second hand ones :(

I am open to suggestions, if I can be convinced that there is a good option out there I might just have to sell the others.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok now that I have calmed down I probably should explain why I hate skimmers.

My Tunze is a great little machine, however once I have taken a day or so to tune it in so it produces what I think it should, if I turn it off it overflows when turned back on. So I back it off and spend the next few days trying to tune it again only for the same thing to happen next time. The Turboflotor has always been much easier to tune in, and doesn't overflow but seems to have topped producing any real skimmate since it has been moved.

Now either I am trying to hard to skim a very lightly stocked tank ( something I just considered when writing this :confused:) or I am overtuning my skimmers to produce too dry a skimmate. I have no idea :cry