Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
I don't feel so bad now, I thought it was just my complete lack of DIY skills that was holding me back from the using the Turboflotor :p

I tried making the height adjustable mount work but the clearance just isn't there so mine is still in the box as well. I really hope switching it around helps the ATO but I am worried I will run out of room for the magnet that holds it. I did consider putting the ATO magnet in the top of the media chamber but not sure if it will work. If it was just micro bubbles I had to worry about I would simply get the plumbing upgrade kit from @chimaera and be done with it for $80 with pumps. Its just that damn mounting issue....

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Noooooooooooooooooooo :(
I could just spend it on something else :D

I was worried that lowering the pumps wouldn't stop the micro bubble issue which is why I was looking at a HOB pump. Argh so many options! I will have to have a fiddle tomorrow and see what I can work out before something goes wrong. I had hoped the micro bubble issue was mainly to do with the skimmer but now I'm worried it's always going to be a permanent thing.

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Woo hoo, looking forward to the update! I just shortened the hose on the longer return pump as it was touching the bottom. Silent now, very happy!

Also made a little "boom" for my ip camera which allows it to swing out and swing back in place when I'm home/out. Got sick of it sitting on the dinning table and the robot vacuum taking the cables from under it!

Sam

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Well some good news it seems.

I pulled the 9002 out and spent the best part of the morning swearing and cursing as I tried to get the Turbo to fit. Turning the skimmer around and facing it towards the media rack could work, but the issue was still in how to mount it as the Tunze magnet I bought had nothing to grab onto. If I hung the skimmer outlet over the top of the media rack it also didn't fit.

In the end as I was giving up I stuck the half circle magnet mount under the outlet and strangely enough gap between the magnet and the mount fit snugly on the top edge of the media rack. As you can see in the photo it looks like it is just sitting there but it is very snug and no amount of fiddling will work it loose. I raised the water level in the back slightly and it just started working!
IMG_0679.JPG

It also meant the heater and ATO switches had to be moved and there is now only about 50mm of spare room above the water line but it does seem to be working.
IMG_0677.JPG

Two hours later and I am starting to get a watery skimmate already.
IMG_0680.JPG

I will keep an eye on it tonight and see how it goes - BUT NO MICRO BUBBLES SO FAR!!!!!:worship Even the ATO is working like a champ! The only issue has is that due to the height I am not sure the lid will fit back on for the rear compartment, but I will try tomorrow and see for sure.

Attachments

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Finally got around the creating the little "shelf" to hold the turboflotor in place, forgot to take as many photos as I should have, but is not a big deal as this was really only the concept run of it anyway. Once happy with final height, I will make some tidier pieces (actually cut straight!) and make it look a bit neater and take plenty of pictures to share.. I also filed a few millimeters off the ribs on the hood flap to ensure there was enough clearance for the lid to close perfectly.
Seems to be working well so far!
aimg827.imageshack.us_img827_172_3nei.jpg

Sam

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Nice work - maybe you can con Stevie into a commission for a range of Turboflotor Blue RSM media racks :D

I am back at home later today so I will pull out some new pics!

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok so end of week update. So far I haven't had a chance to restart ZEOvit dosing due to work and family commitments and the result has been a cyno outbreak. I was fairly confident that it was a carry over from taking the sump down, but I noticed last night that there is a significant amount of debris on the rocks. So out came the turkey baster and to my shock and horror there is a phenomenal amount hiding away in the tank! I assume that since the MP10 has been off line the decrease in flow has meant that I should have been blowing down the rocks in the tank every water change (weekly 10%) and filtering it out.

I stuck some filter pad into the media rack and it was clogged in minutes, triggering the ATO to start filling the tank. So off went the ATO which meant that the skimmer started blowing bubbles into the tank... :banghead Once I removed the filter pad the skimmer and ATO went back to working like champs, but I noticed that the majority of the crud in the tank just resettled somewhere else.

So for the immediate future I will run filter pad for 15mins a night after blowing down all the rocks. I did notice the cyno seemed to appreciate the extra crud on the sand and seemed to be taunting me with its beady little eyes. Now I am back to an issue I had last week - how to run the tank without filter pads so I can run the ATO and skimmer full time.

My mind is 99% made up - I will be running a Fluval 106 for the immediate future in the rear chanmbers with nothing but filter wool, completely changed over every 2 days (I get the pads for free). Eventually once things settle down I will use it for the ZEOvit stones and carbon at a reduced flow. The Fluval lets me change the filter pads over with out taking down the whole canister. Once a week it will be pulled apart and washed out and the inlet pipe will be used to remove water for water changes instead of a siphon pipe.

I will keep you posted....

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Cyano has beady little eyes? hehehehe

Good post, very entertaining! Look forward to hearing how the changes work out for you.
Sam