Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Yes the cat did take a dip - apparently the bubbles caught it's attention and in it went :eek

As for pics... I feel like I have been caught with my pants down :(

ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_MAIOv2_IMG_06421_zps8de8521b.jpg
ai1353.photobucket.com_albums_q668_ViralEntity_MAIOv2_IMG_06411_zps85496271.jpg

So yes tonight will be spent cleaning - as was last night and the night before. Some good news is we just purchased a Sony NEX camera so I will be able to post in focus shots of algae on glass...

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Tank looking much nicer, I like the way you have router your MP10 cable, just short visible line down from the black ridge as opposed to going all the way across to the back over the glass (like mine...) I might steal this idea :)

Sam

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Tank looking much nicer, I like the way you have router your MP10 cable, just short visible line down from the black ridge as opposed to going all the way across to the back over the glass (like mine...) I might steal this idea :)
It works well, it just makes cleaning around it a bit more difficult.

Anyway, lots of big changes happened last weekend and I have spent the week tidying up and getting back on track. Once I get my head around this new camera I will post more details but here are a few teasers :

Attachments

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Not as much as it seems. I made sure I had at least 4x redundant power points for future expansion, including 2x that are accessible from inside the cabinet (as you can see I was using them in the pic above).

At the moment I have the following plugged in:
Light
Heater
Return Pumps x2
MP10 - Not currently working
Tunze ATO
Tunze 9002

I have removed the sump - more on that later - and that was an extra 3x points used, and if I get LED upgrade that will use another as well. At the moment I am experimenting with ZEOvit without a reactor, but I may still need a reactor for that. Also if I go more SPS I may look at a calcium reactor or aquarium controller so it pays to plan ahead. Either way its soooooo much easier to manage than tucking power boards behind the cabinet!

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok so I am at the point of no return - and I would love some opinions!

I have removed the DIY sump and overflow due to issues with the design trapping detris and for fear of it overflowing. Long story short, after returning from holidays it was just the right thing to do to get the tank back where I wanted it to be.

So here is my dilemma:

I have placed the repaired Tunze 9002 back into the rear compartment and is mounted to the inTank media rack as normal, the Turboflotor just doesn't properly with the ATO back there and causes it to over dose the tank all the time. But due to the way the new pump sits in the 9002 I am getting phenomenal amounts of micro bubbles into the display, enough to cause the return pumps to occasionally stop! I also think the pump in the Tunze is on the way out, if it gets turned off it seizes up and has to be 'coerced' into working again, probably because the impellor is starting to corrode. Moral of the story : Second hand isn't always cheaper :(

Either way, a new skimmer is the best solution. BUT... what to do? I can try and resurrect the sump idea and get a much better performing skimmer for a lot less, or stick with a new 9002 (which apparently they don't make any more...) or go for a HOB.

The sump would be nice for obvious reasons, but I would want to purchase a decent overflow, most likely a Life Reef, and reuse the Turboflotor Blue (great skimmer by the way, just not in the back of a RSM).

A new 9002 seems to be the common choice, no need to run a sump but they can be a pain in the back side to use when running filter wool in the media rack as the water level varies too much even with a ATO. Running without filter wool is not something I want to do, and having to change it twice a day to stop restricting the return flow is a bit ridiculous.

A HOB such as a Reef Octopus means I can run filter wool and not worry about minor changes in the rear water height, but will stick out just a bit ( ok a lot). I can live with the view, but they aren't the cheapest option either.

What do you think?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
a new 9002 (which apparently they don't make any more...)
Well to both help you make an informed decision and put a shameless plug in here ...

http://www.naqua.com.au/products/tunze-9002-doc-skimmer

:)

Does seem like a big choice - I've seen a few people sump their RSM and it looks great, but likewise many people seem to run an RSM + 9002 with no issues at all. Does the filter wool really make such a big difference? Have you tried poly filter rather than wool - might be a bit more porous?

I think I would rule out a HOB ... go sump or make your back chambers work for you.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
OK you have added a fair bit to the site since I last looked :D

The filter wool may only be an issue due to the pump I am using on the 9002. It was the original model with the old style pump so is at least 5 yrs old. Now its got a smaller ehiem running it, it might be that it isn't rated correctly and that may be why its not pushing through into the collection cup and just collapsing back into the body of the skimmer and out into my tank.

To be honest no one seems to be using HOB with a RSM - a good indication that it might not work :p

To Sump or Not to Sump - An All in One is just that, and to be fair I know that better house keeping would make more of a performance upgrade than a sump probably ever would with this size tank. It does mean I need a home for my ZEOvit, but running it passively through the media rack is more than sufficient I think due to the low flow volumes required with such a small amount of ZEOvit.

So my thinking is this, get a new 9002 (provided the ones you have are the newer style), the pump upgrade parts along with 2x ehiem 600's, stick the ZEOvit in a filter bag on the media rack along side the carbon, sell the Turboflotor Blue 500, some how find a replacement power supply for the MP10 and we are back in business.

All up:
9002 - $230
Upgrade Parts - $15
Ehiem 600 - 2x$35
MP10wES power - ???
Minus ~$100 for a 2 month old Turboflotor Blue 500
Total - $215 without MP10 power

Anyone know where to find a power supply for a MP10?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Is the mp10 you have Australian bought? If so then AquaBlue should be able to help you out. I bought a dryside from them, I think it was $120 or so (could be a bit higher or lower). Not sure how much a power supply alone would be, but will be cheaper than buying a new one for sure.

http://www.aquabluedistribution.com.au/brand/brandType/Ecotech Marine/pageNo/4

The great thing is that they go from the serial number, so even if you have no receipt or even if you did not buy, they will still offer support/parts.

I'll check on the 9002 version - I only just got them brand new from the distributor (who in turn had just got the stock from Tunze) so I am fairly sure they will be the new ones.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Just for that I will have to put an order through with you ;) I have been chasing a replacement and everyone so far has wanted a receipt that I just don't have because its second hand.

On a good note I have figured out my camera and had time to take some decent shots so its time for a photo shoot :D

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
"the Turboflotor just doesn't properly with the ATO back there and causes it to over dose the tank all the time"

Can you explain this a bit further for me? I have a turboflotor in the back of my RSM130 and am curious to know what you don't like about yours?

Also - what parts of the MP10 are you after? I have a 90% complete controller?
Sam

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Can you explain this a bit further for me? I have a turboflotor in the back of my RSM130 and am curious to know what you don't like about yours?
My two main issues are the way its mounted to the media rack means it tends to slip if knocked and the outlet from the skimmer. The skimmer outlet is so close to the ATO sensor (Tunze) that any bubbles produced seem to play tricks on the ATO if they stick to the sensor. This causes it to misread the level and over or under dose the top off, best case the skimmer stops working properly as the level drops or worst case as has happened the level rises and the cup overflows. I tried putting the cut off float valve closer to the normal water level but got sick of the alarm going off at all hours of the night.

If you have a better solution for mounting it in the back than using magnets to the media rack please let me know! It is in my opinion a better skimmer and quieter too - plus it will save me $230!

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
My first suggestion, which will only help your ATO issue (perhaps) is to mount the skimmer the other way around. I have tried mine with the exit facing the circulation pumps and the other way, with the exit facing back towards the media rack. Now I leave it with the exit facing the media rack in an effort to give the bubbles longer time to rise in the rear chamber rather than in the DT.

As for mounting, I'm still playing with this. I just have it sitting on a plastic container at the moment, but would like to make this more permenant. If the magnets are no good - I'm glad I didn't pay the price they ask for them just yet then!

Perhaps put a pic up of your rear chamber setup (that sounds wrong!) and I'll see if I can suggest anything. More than likely I will just steal your ideas, but hey - nothing bad can come from it!
Sam

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Damn I had hoped you had a solution!

I will take some picks and have another look at it over the weekend, but basically the shape of the chamber is tapered so the Tunze magnets don't grip it properly. I didn't want to go sticking them to the skimmer but maybe that's the solution. I will try turning it around and facing it into the media rack as well. I will iPhone up some picks as I go:dead

Sam Parker

May 6, 2013
Geelong
Yeah, post up some pictures. I have some of this stuff (http://www.plastimake.com/) which I was going to try and use to make a more useful mount that would possibly allow for adjustments to the height (that included height adjustable mount just seems too good to leave in the box!)

Anyway - I'm keen to see your pics, because I am in a very similar situation.
Sam