Tank Journal Archive

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Well thanks for the input guys the decision is made - GPS watch it is!

Now to spend some time tidying up what I have and get the skimmers tuned in. I haven't stabbed, cut or electrocuted myself for a month or so now and I am starting to have withdrawals.

Scottrotton

HTTPS://REEF.EXCHANGE
Oct 17, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I cant speak for you but what I can say is im pretty happy with my lighting now ive change from the standard RSM bulbs, ive actually only change 2 of the 10 but you wouldnt beleive the difference its made. Electric bills are high but at least now its worth it.

I need to change the other 8 bulbs to get the real bennifit but its at an acceptable level of colour now so im going to wait until for another 3 months then upgrade as they will need changing around then anyway.

so heres a breakdown

Pros
Naturally Higher Par Rate
easier to change color combo
no high cost initial outlay
Can keep wider range of corals

cons
have to change globes after 9-12 months
higher electricity costs
doesnt have simmer effect like mh
T5 cant get that cool disco lighting effect when im having a party like the VEGAS leds do ;-)

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Well it seems my family loves me more than I thought! After buying my watch and my ereader I have $150 left to spend on whatever I want....

So I think it's time to get a bit of livestock into the tank. I have a single clown so far and plenty of snails, so thy need to be compatable and suitable for the smaller tank size. I am open to suggestions when it comes to fish, but I'm not super keen on shrimp or hermits. Plus if anyone knows where they are in stock in the south/easy Melbourne area that would be appreciated too.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Take a trip over to Reeflections this weekend, I am sure they had a nice shipment for tonight's BBQ ;)

Aspidites

Dec 1, 2012
South lake
From what I hear, Red Sea have max upgrade kits in testing. Just making sure the par readings last as long as they say they do.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
From what I hear, Red Sea have max upgrade kits in testing. Just making sure the par readings last as long as they say they do.
That would be awesome!

Ok quick update, heading to reeflections tomorrow to see what is in stock. I have a rough idea of what I am after so I will have to rely on the LFS to fill in the gaps. I want fish at different levels of the tank, as I don't think I will get a schooling type effect in a tank this size. So percher (ie hawkfish) a swimmer an maybe a bottom dweller. I will have to spend more time googling tonight me thinks :D

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
So I piled the family into the car and set off to Reeflections. I spent the majority of last night looking at options and settled on a 6 line wrasse and a goby/blenny for the bottom. After 20mins of drooling over fish I can't have I didn' see a blenny I was happy with as most were already large and my wife wanted me to get smaller fish to start out and let them grow up. Gotta keep her happy :rolleyes

I found a gorgeous little 6 line and even my wife thought he was cute so in the bag he went. My 2yr old aptly named him 'spot' (she has been wanting a dog for a while now....). After asking for a bit of advice on a smaller bottom dweller, my wife found a green mandarin and fell in love. Yup a mandarin - of all the things I didn't want lol. It took 10mins to talk her out of it, and even then it took the guy at the shop to show her a Redspotted sand perch. I am not too sure on the ID, I will upload some photos tomorrow and give the shop a call to confirm as I think I may have the name wrong.

I now have a few things to look at in my tank:

- Black and white clown aka 'Emo'
- 6 Line wrasse aka 'Spot'
- Redspotted Sand Perch (TBC) aka 'Other fish or Lizard'

I will try and make it to the next BBQ at Reeflections and hopefully find the final fish I want. I just want a bit more blue/purple in the tank or something not red/orange. More googling required I think :reading

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice one - the 6 line is a good choice and will keep things clean in there.

I think I know the 'sand perch' you mean, tiny red speckled and scoots around on the sand? Had my eye on that myself, I think @Salty has one or similar to it. Cool little fish.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Yeah that sounds like him, will get the pics up tonight once I get home.

I was a bit worried about feeding, as they both seem to be finicky eaters, particularly the perch. Once acclimatised, they both proceded to demolish my pod population! Good news is the perch happily took mysis shrimp when I fed last night, but Spot was more interested in picking over the rocks so I will have to keep an eye on him.

Any other suggestions to using mysis to give them a bit of variety?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Parapercis schauinslandii - Redspotted sandperch, very cool fish.
Glad my memory isn't so bad ;)

You could try something like cyclopeez, I use the freeze-dried stuff for my coral goby (as pellets are too large for him!).

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
You should talk to Todd at Mr Marine...hes here in NSW but he was showing me these new LEDs he go it, waterproof shock proof and they are like the size of t5s in heaps of different lengths, they're heaps cheap and use next to no power, he showed me them on his frag tankd and this other tank he set up with them on and tbh when he was telling me about them i was like hmm yeee i dno but they were pretty impressive

http://www.mrmarineaquariums.com.au/