Tank Journal Archive

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
i know the 30cm one he could do at $15 a tube.... so yeah eco exotic stunners are like 50 a tube i think

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Wow thats cheap. Only problem I see is the RSM130 has single ended T5's - beefed up power compacts really. So most lights don't fit.

Nov 15, 2012
Wow thats cheap. Only problem I see is the RSM130 has single ended T5's - beefed up power compacts really. So most lights don't fit.
They are T5 Power Compacts. Next thing on my tank to go. Still weighing up options at the moment.

Still the front runner for me is Blaze Advance M60S Cree which I will pull apart and integrate into my hood. Including the controller. That will be on the hood (Built in) but I am struggling to justify the expense for something I will be pulling apart and losing the warranty on.

If I do go ahead though I will post up instructions on it etc...

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
I would suggest looking at the kit options mentoined earlier in this thread vs DIY. It's neat and tidy and works out of the box and to be honest looking at parts over here it's almost cheaper!

That said I couldn't make up my mind either so that's part of the reason I have delayed getting them for the moment. Plus I really like the sound of the Red Sea upgrades if that really happens. Will be pricey, but will keep the tank looking shmick :cool:

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok time for a quick update between lectures as I have been away training for two weeks.

It seems I was right about the increase in waste with 3 fish now. Added to that I have put ZEOvit on hold so as not to confuse my wife who is looking after the tank while I'm away, which means I have had a nasty algae outbreak. I haven't seen it, but apparently the glass is dirty buy the end of the day and the rocks are going brown. I hope over feeding isn't the cause, but my wife is quite good with the tank so it shouldn't be that. Fingers crossed it just a mini cycle and will be over shortly.

All the fish are doing well, The Other Fish (Sandperch) is taking pellets and Spot (6-line) is a swimming vacuum cleaner. A good water change and restarting ZEOvit should help get it back on track.

Nov 15, 2012
Have you looked at doing the media baskets new skimmer and return pump mod???

I am waiting to get prices and should kick it off this week I am hoping.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
@SpikeHoover&Rocky do you have a link? I have Stevie T media basket which I was using for the 9002 in the back compartment, but I don't recall a return pump mod other than increasing the length of the return pump intakes.

Nov 15, 2012
@SpikeHoover&Rocky do you have a link? I have Stevie T media basket which I was using for the 9002 in the back compartment, but I don't recall a return pump mod other than increasing the length of the return pump intakes.
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-130-D-Pump-Upgrade-KIT-RS1001.htm You can get it without the pumps so you can get the pumps locally. I am still awaiting confirmation. I believe it is qty 2 Eheim Compact 600's :):) That's a lot of flow :D

Nov 15, 2012
@ViralEntity The pump pipes are $7 and the eheim compacts are ~$50ea online here AOA.

How do you find the tunze 9002 skimmer? I am going to go with the Hydor Slim Skim Nano to see how that goes. Apparently it is quitter than the tunze but are the same in skimmer performance...

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
@SpikeHoover&Rocky that looks like a DIY mission if I ever saw one! I reckon those pipes are a Bunnings job, and the pumps from somewhere like AOA and then you don't have to worry about shipping from the states. I mentioned this upgrade earlier in my thread, however the pics on that link are the clearest as to what I was trying to achieve.

As for the 9002, it is very quiet and was working well, but it is a pain in the arse to run in the back chamber without a ATO. Not to mention that it was overflowing every time the power went off due to the water height change in the back compartment. If I hadn't put a sump in, I would have sold it for a HOB style one. Now that it is in the sump it works ok, but since starting ZEOvit its an absolute bitch to tune in. Overall I think its a great skimmer, and if I knew about the power out trick of submerging the airline below the high water mark I probably would have left it in the back compartment.

My Turboflotor Blue 500 is a machine and I am going to remove the 9002 this weekend and just run the 500. Its easier to tune, but be aware that although it fits in the rear compartment, nothing fits as well as the 9002.

Edit: I just saw the price of the upgrade - $69!!! WTF is with our pricing over here :rage

Nov 15, 2012
Hmmm.... @ViralEntity I was just re-looking over your TJ. forgot you had done the sump.

I would love to do that but I like how my chiller and stuff is hidden underneath.

the plumbing for the return upgrade I feel should be fairly straight forward... I hope... along with the new skimmer etc...

I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Ok so I'm back from training and have the itch stronger than ever. Spent most of the day cleaning and sorting and the rest travelling to and from Reeflections. I was just there to buy some water as my RO/DI has blocked but then I got distracted.... I managed to get my hands on 2 nassarius snails and two tiny hermits (I know I said I never would but I wanted some cleanup crew for the sand and thought might as well).

Well it turns out Red Spotted Sandperches have a taste for snails an hermit crabs.... The snails escaped under the sand for the moment but I have a feeling the hermits became a $10 dinner.

I will post some pics in the morning - hopefully with both snails intact!

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
It was my fault, I spent a hour or so acclimatising them and then just dropped them onto the sand. The Perch and 6-Line went bonkers and I had to fend them off with a turkey baster until they borrowed down! Looking into the tank now with the lights off, I can see one snail powering around the sand like a champ so I have high hopes as long as sleep in during the day :D

The hermits... well I could see one moving before but he appears to have run away (I hope). The other hasn't moved in hours.

I was just googling other options such as small cucumbers as sand sifters but if the snails survive I might just hang out and get some more.

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Now in stock at your favourite Australian Nano Aquarium store - will be on the site shortly ;)
That's great news! Does that include pumps or are you just talking return pipe mods? I reckon @SpikeHoover&Rocky would be just as interested in the prices as I am.

Wow never would have guessed! It's so small and 'delicate' ...
Yeah he made the 6-Line look timid! He doesn't forgot either - if I chase him away he waits until I leave the tank and coms back sits on a nearby rock waiting for them to move. It's kinda funny to watch as he has one eye watching me and the other facing the other way watching the hermits :rolleyes

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
That's great news! Does that include pumps or are you just talking return pipe mods? I reckon @SpikeHoover&Rocky would be just as interested in the prices as I am.
@SpikeHoover&Rocky is actually the reason I have them as he made a special request, and along with a few other bits will be winging their way to him tomorrow :cool:
Yeah he made the 6-Line look timid! He doesn't forgot either - if I chase him away he waits until I leave the tank and coms back sits on a nearby rock waiting for them to move. It's kinda funny to watch as he has one eye watching me and the other facing the other way watching the hermits :rolleyes
Sounds like quite a character!

ViralEntity

Feb 13, 2013
Warragul
Well I am back from holidays and its time for an update.

- my snail disaster has been averted, it seems the ceriths as still breeding like crazy.

- I have no idea if any of my new snails survived, I haven't any empty shells so I still hold out hopes.

- My hermits weren't so lucky and didn't last 2 days.

- While on holidays my friend didn't dose any ZEOvit chemicals so it has crashed fairly hard and an algae bloom is in full swing.

- It seems my sand choice is too fine, and the Sand Perch is clogging up my pumps and covering all my rocks in a fine white powder.

- The carpet has been watered twice while I was away.....

- a 9hr unplanned power out has led to all kinds of issues, with nearly all corraline and hitchhiking corals either gone or reduced.

- It seems hair algae likes power outs....

- The cat took a bath in the sump

That about sums it up - once I get over being embarrassed about the state of the tank I will post a pic or two.