Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The Routemaster - Double Decker Peninsula with Display Fuge
Introduction:

Reefing Since: July 2011

System Objectives: Trying something a bit different.

Type of reef: Main display tank for LPS & SPS, display sump/'fuge for macro and maybe a mantis

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: Not yet ...

Display Tank Dimensions: 60*30*38 (approx 65 litres)

Display Lighting: tbc, potentially a kessil 150

Stand: Bunnings garage shelving, with plans to clad at some point

Hood or Rimless: Rimless

Sump Design: Peninsula sump with skimmer and return in the back, front 2/3 of the tank being display fuge

Filtration: Oceanlife overflow

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW

Display Water circulation: mp10

Return Pump: tbc, potentially a Reef Octopus Water Blaster 1000

Skimmer: tbc, potentially a Reef Octopus Vortex 300

Evaporation Top Up: Manual for now .. ATO at some point, potentially the new Tunze Nano ATO

Chemical additions:

Calcium Addition: tbc, likely C-Balance

Alkilinity Addition: tbc, likely C-Balance

Magnesium Addition: tbc

Prodibiotics Addition: tbc

Coral Food Addition: tbc

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
This was my original attempt at mocking up my vision (my Sketchup skills are not great! haha):

ai.imgur.com_89B3C.jpg

Which evolved to this:
ai.imgur.com_r0s5N.jpg

I attempted to build my own stand ... but my lack of DIY skills meant that this was binned fairly quickly
alh4.googleusercontent.com__0u8PLdwQAe4_TqOnotR661I_AAAAAAAAAw63405590e92c6df76b1c67c395d62be2.jpg

I then found a set of garage shelves at Bunnings that fit the job perfectly! Somewhat ugly, but good enough for now and at some point I'll attempt to clad them.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__y1WtnTC51i8_T3wl2UJSdOI_AAAAAAAACNee729ebf2662dc8a0335a4d70d1ae73c.jpg

Tanks are a 'Yi Ding' low iron glass tank from Upmarket Aquariums, and a bog standard from Subscape.

Sump plans are something like this - not sure yet whether I will need the t-return:
ai.imgur.com_qDZko.png

For overflow, I have one of these on the way:
areefbuilders.com_files_2011_12_oceanlife_overflow_300x164.png

And that's about where I am up to with the build. The tank currently sits in our kitchen/diner waiting to progress. Total tank build to date about 6 months, so don't expect miracles! haha.
alh6.googleusercontent.com__kChGnAHnNEc_T5jR1zjVzOI_AAAAAAAACT08a6a3067215d793d006796c9e814dc7.jpg

Reactions: MTG

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
So, if I have read this correctly, in 6 months you have purchased 2 tanks and a stand :p There must have been a lot of planning going on ;)

Only joking - look forward to this getting wet sometime in the short medium long term :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Hahaha you read that correctly. Though to be fair, a house move in March put a hold on plans for quite some time ... I was going to set up before Christmas, then figured I had better wait until we moved so did absolutely nothing. At least since then I have progressed somewhat (stand, light fixture worked out, overflow ordered, decided on a skimmer and pump ... pretty much, bought diamond drill bits).

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
Hey Mate,
I would be a bit worried about that stand. It looks very similar to one I brought from bunnings for the garrage. It got pretty bendy , flexi once I put a bit of weight on it.
Maybe once you fix some cladding to it ,it may not flex but just thought I would raise my concerns.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
This one supposedly takes up to 250kg per shelf (evenly distributed), so I figured 70kg of water and say 10 of tank and equipment should be fine. I have also replaced the particle board with wood to add to the strength and ensure moisture doesn't weaken it.

So fingers crossed, it will be okay.

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
Looks very tidy, will look better once clad.
Is your light fixture bolted to the wall or the stand? The piece sticking out where the light would hang, will that bend down away from the wall once the weight of the light is hung? Might need to re-enforce that spot maybe. :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
The plan is to bolt the light fixture to the stand (it's not attached at the moment, I just stuck it there for the photo!). It may need some re-enforcing, will depend on the light I get. If I can get hold of a kessil, I believe they weight less than 0.5kg so might not need any. The plan is to run the cable through the fixture if possible (it is hollow) to keep things clean.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I would be worried about the plastic joiner for the light stand. you could try and find some Aluminium tension lock extrusion if you wanted to. They also look a lot cleaner. We use them at work for supporting bus roofs so a light would be a piece of cake

TJReid

May 21, 2012
Frankston
I'd also be a little worried about the stand I always seem to see similar shelving falling apart in the factory's I do work at...

Sorry to hijack but...

I would be worried about the plastic joiner for the light stand. you could try and find some Aluminium tension lock extrusion if you wanted to. They also look a lot cleaner. We use them at work for supporting bus roofs so a light would be a piece of cake
may have to hook a brother up with some i want to hang my maxspec over the 2ft cube... seem to get alot more shimmer / wider spread over the tank having it up a bit higher...

V

'vspec'

Yes your sketches were shit!. (Compared to some of the guru running around) But you know what, major kudos for having a crack bud!
I'm impressed with that!. Plus you just pulled off a job 100 times better than I could do, so the only way to go now is up!

I think all of us bunnings buyers have found a need for this shelf. But your the first I've seen to turn it into a tank stand though.
Smart move swapping out the particle board. ~ As long as your confident brother, this unit doesn't handle twist flexing much. So what I'm saying is no naked rugby in the lounge room with the misses you hear ;)

Should be interesting seeing this take shape
Something like aus wood panels can sort you out for the skin if you get stuck for choice.
HVG is my fav, but it comes at a cost ~ for pretty much everything:confused:

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I'd also be a little worried about the stand I always seem to see similar shelving falling apart in the factory's I do work at...

Sorry to hijack but...

may have to hook a brother up with some i want to hang my maxspec over the 2ft cube... seem to get alot more shimmer / wider spread over the tank having it up a bit higher...
I'll see what I can do
awww.ocdforums.org_public_style_emoticons_default_whistling.gif

Dimensions?

You too chimaera. I'll see if I can get both for fairly cheap

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yes your sketches were shit!. (Compared to some of the guru running around) But you know what, major kudos for having a crack bud!
I'm impressed with that!. Plus you just pulled off a job 100 times better than I could do, so the only way to go now is up!

I think all of us bunnings buyers have found a need for this shelf. But your the first I've seen to turn it into a tank stand though.
Smart move swapping out the particle board. ~ As long as your confident brother, this unit doesn't handle twist flexing much. So what I'm saying is no naked rugby in the lounge room with the misses you hear ;)

Should be interesting seeing this take shape
Something like aus wood panels can sort you out for the skin if you get stuck for choice.
HVG is my fav, but it comes at a cost ~ for pretty much everything:confused:
Naked rugby in the lounge will be avoided. Thank you for the advice =0)

I'll see what I can do
awww.ocdforums.org_public_style_emoticons_default_whistling.gif

Dimensions?

You too chimaera. I'll see if I can get both for fairly cheap
I am such a DIY-noob .. what kind of dimensions would you need? Of the square tube? (ie external, internal).

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Mainly lengths. I'll see if I can get the 90degree elbow + joiners thrown in too. I'll post pics on Monday sometime. These tension lock extrusions are similar to H channel extrusion but they have a lip which is what locks in the elbow. All you need to join them in with an Allen key which will also make the join look a lot cleaner.
I could get it tigwelded together too I bet

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Ah now I gotcha, I thought you meant I just needed the 90degree elbow joint to connect the tubing I already have. That would be awesome, great if you can post some pics.

I am renting so can't drill the ceiling, and I definitely don't want a hood, so this kind of fixture is the ideal if I can do it right.

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
lol no what I was talking about is a totally new extrusion with an extremely strong elbow joint. It would be alot stronger then the one you have and you would bend the aluminium extrusion before you bent the joint :D

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Well #### me sideways.

I got my overflow in the mail finally ... spot the issue.
alh5.googleusercontent.com__dCdk4yGiQtQ_T9CCXTdcmcI_AAAAAAAACvdda12a43d5fe3b70c50f2984db59a2ba.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__AS_N9EoJSiI_T9CCvxpWyII_AAAAAAAACvb40d063d0ae51d54b2778f5bf931d9a9.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__WnTD3obz7zQ_T9CDatsIvhI_AAAAAAAACv503ef87126ed851345a2859df5c225e7.jpg

alh6.googleusercontent.com__ZREGzbodhZo_T9CDk3P3VVI_AAAAAAAACvf8e85e9c4803d7f5b79867d7ed3762a7.jpg

alh3.googleusercontent.com__bsGVVE_PixY_T9CDr_tKqTI_AAAAAAAACv53ab47b1f2af759e253f8515d66cd10f.jpg

alh4.googleusercontent.com__Y3LeytJDpkY_T9CD7krAP6I_AAAAAAAACw9a72f79487cb7dc2e47baf29b3eabff2.jpg

alh5.googleusercontent.com__dIH6W3_O4H0_T9CD2AlR3RI_AAAAAAAACwb011d5246bb4238480dda9effe75e0fd.jpg

Issue - check out the final photo. Now compare to a photo from someone else who has the unit.

ai.imgur.com_1zYnF.jpg

Yep, two pieces missing. Both of the internal attachments. My unit also came with the full pipe attachments which is odd, but I kind of like that.

:mad:

Just emailed them now ... who knows how long it is going to take to resend them.

I did also get a couple of other items from them for what it's worth, coral food and micro pellets. Haven't opened them yet, only really got them because hte shipping was a fixed fee so thought I would check them out.
alh3.googleusercontent.com__d5D2DhmofJw_T9CEHdteBgI_AAAAAAAACwe3478b983f25920a2b8f082416ddb6b1.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
To their credit, they already got back to me and admitted they forgot the parts. This is a new version and apparently mine was the first one ever sent! haha. Said they'd get the delivery to me by Tuesday, but as I am on hols next week said by next weekend is fine.