Tank Journal Archive

V

'vspec'

Yea!!! Its drill 'en time.

Drilling holes is like virginity sex, after the first go at it, your left wondering what all the fuss was about! :confused:

You do know how to drill yeah> ?..... lol I just figured your married with 100 kids by now!

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Usual rules apply. Lots of water, hardly any pressure and you should be fine :)

Also having a "jig" made up will make it a lot easier for you.

Oh and make sure you place a towel or something on the opposite side of the tank (I presume you will be standing this tank up on its side so you will be drilling down on it). Last thing you want is to complete the hole, just for the bit of glass to fall and crack the pane on the other side lol.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Oh and make sure you place a towel or something on the opposite side of the tank (I presume you will be standing this tank up on its side so you will be drilling down on it). Last thing you want is to complete the hole, just for the bit of glass to fall and crack the pane on the other side lol.
Good tip and one I probably wouldn't have thought of!!

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
I've come close to doing it myself. Luckily nothing bad happened, but if it did... :confused:

Also start the hole on the inside, then finish it off on the outside. It'll stop the "punchout" effect and stop the glass from chipping around the hole.

Just in case you didn't know that one lol. I forgot about it...

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
id be careful with that stand, ive used them a few times and they don't like weight to much :P if you put some side on it will help strengthen it a lot. :D

V

'vspec'

We should have a write up regarding glass cutting somewhere.
If not, it goes on the to-do list!

I just made a template bat, covered it in rubber, and drill what ever hole sizing i need through it.

ai702.photobucket.com_albums_ww21_veriann_P1040138.jpg

Its just your guide till you drill a channel deep enough anyways. As you know, the diamond tips dont have an arbour like the normal hole saws.

After that point its free hand consistent pressure with the water trickling so I can pump the drill bit to clear the cutting path.
On quality glass I tend to start and finish with a cordless drill with a loose grab setting, just a habit really, but saves that freakish crack scenario with the torque from a power drill. Simple, and works for me.

Strip of duc tape is handy to hold your glass piece in place on the other side, as long as you dont drill it as well, it allows for removal of the core with ease. Plus a towel as rocker mentions, as your safety net.
Just watch when you pick it up &/or shake it, small shards and all.

I personally differ from rockerpeller regarding drilling the inside first. For me, I'm lazy and drill normally till I'm through, then a quick hit with sand paper grades to give me the finish I want.
A bulk head is usually plugging the hole anyway, so i reserve the anal retentiveness for other aspects instead.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Well I am still waiting for the remaining pieces for the overflow, and seem to have misplaced the diamond hole saws I had bought. Though upon checking, they weren't quite the right size ... so have just ordered some more and also a suction cup guide.

arichontools.com_images_categories_084010.jpg

rockerpeller

Oct 14, 2011
Hastings, Vic
Keep this up and we'll be turning to you for tank building equipment lol
Sorry I haven't managed to get back to you regarding that extrusion. Boss is still trying to get numbers regarding the cost of it by the metre.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
No problem ... I am some way off having an actual light to hang from it anyway! haha. Though I have started a solution for my current fixture ... a shelf bracket on the corner to give it more support. Already drilled, just need ot get the right length of bolt ... and I think it will work pretty well, if I get a kessil which is light.

V

'vspec'

Mine cost me nothing, so $12 for a piece of "updated wizardry" isn't too bad dude. ;)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Skimmer and return arrived. I wasn't expecting European plugs on them, but at least guppys provided a decent looking adapter in the box.

Drill saws and guides also arrived ... so if it stops raining, today is drilling day!

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
All guppies stuff is imported as the local dealers wont sell to him as he is an online store. I got my bubble magus from him. once the warrenty is up i'll get a normal plug put on.

The new resident tank hole driller for the south east ;)