Tank Journal Archive

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Yeah I knew guppy's products were imported, just forgot I guess!

So it pissed down all day and I didn't get around to drilling. Gave my freshwater tank a long needed clean up and water change instead.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Well I have committed to purchasing a Radion for this tank - very excited!

Also I am going to need some help with the plumbing ... I am such a noob I don't know where to start. I'll try and sketch out/photo what I am trying to do and start a new thread in the DIY area.

V

'vspec'

Hey this should be good, progress is always good.

Where did you get your diamond hole saws from dude?
Make sure to document it yeah, always makes for good viewing on the first hole..lol

and sure dude, help from your forum mates is part of the package here. That and the free beer! ;)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Where did you get your diamond hole saws from dude?
From www.richontools.com - based over in HK/China. Pretty cheap, cheap and efficient delivery - but the main reason I got from there is because they had the exact sizes I needed, couldn't find them anywhere in Aus.

I'll be sure to document the hole drilling, just so you can all laugh at my devastation when I crack the tank haha.

V

'vspec'

You dont want to find them in OZ, way over priced last time I checked.
Cool cool, look forward to the updates dude.

@Priscacara, yup, TJ duties does have its advantages, so get cracking! ;)

V

'vspec'

I'm assuming thats a laser cut flange? Pretty sweet at any rate.
I'd suggest rolling sandpaper round your fingers and smoothing out any spurs on your diameter, but dishes are done man, on to the next phase.

So talk to me about that unit bud, these vertical slots are in the correct position by design? > and if that's your skim, where is your DT level meant to sit on these?

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
So talk to me about that unit bud, these vertical slots are in the correct position by design? > and if that's your skim, where is your DT level meant to sit on these?
This video probably shows it best - the level can sit pretty much anywhere between top and bottom, and the slots are rotatable - but yeah I'd probably make them vertical to get maximum flow through.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Plumbing and getting some glass cut for the sump. Hope to do both of those things next weekend! Then siliconing up the sump ... then getting it wet, finally.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Well done, very neat. I've been keeping an eye ocean life since their earlier overflow designs. Looks like a great product, very ELOS. Love things like this as I believe a product like that will impress the most avid reefer.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks, all. Yep as soon as I saw someone in the US get one of these overflows I knew I had to have one! Hope it works okay ... haha.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
It's coming along nicely, another real DIY!!

Drop into work on your way home one night and sort some plumbing... drop in by 7 though Victorians are soft as marshmallows and close the store early in winter on mon tue and wed.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Thanks mate, I will do at some point. The way things are at work (long hours currently) it might need to be a weekend though ...

V

'vspec'

Soooooo, you load tested this thing yet, no wobble wobble on your super structure?