Tank Journal Archive

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Today I went about adding 2 of the 3 other DIY PVC burrows to their individual compartments & permanent resting places, both of them went to my G.ternatensis, Nicole & Tintin. When I added Nicole she darted straight from the net and under the plateau for Ric's she has not yet made her way into the DIY PVC burrow within her compartment, whilst with Tintin I positioned the net over the top entrance to the DIY PVC burrow in his compartment, in a few minutes he darted in and ever since hasn't come out, I can see him poking his head around the corner up top.

Due to their very small size still they should be able to navigate through the DIY PVC very easily and plug what they want too, make slimmer by dragging substrate into the burrow, (but ultimately they are the largest of all 'small smashers species' topping out at 125mm), so in time they will both fill their 32mm dia burrows.

My theory behind these permanent DIY PVC burrows is contrary to standard stomatopod temporary hosting of PVC where by the PVC in a temporary situation should be the slightest bit wider in diameter then the specimen of stomatopod that will be hosting it. For these DIY PVC burrows, the longer they are in the tanks the more 'effective' they become...(from age/algae etc. things just look more natural), so rather then make them a little wider then the specimen of stomatopod (the individuals size) that would be living within the single PVC frame, I made it for 'Maximum Species Potential', so even though initially the DIY PVC burrow looks to be too large, in time as the animal grows it will fill the burrow with its own bulk/size.

I added 1 'vine' of Caulerpa to Eves (G.smithii) compartment, wrapping it around the top entry/exit of the DIY PVC burrow (where light is strongest) in the hopes it would grow over the PVC help to hide it even more....it has grown a lot and has nearly completely covered her Top entrance, working just like I'd hoped, depending on how it grows I might remove all the coral out of her compartment for now and let the Caulerpa grow all over the PVC, leave the substrate free for coral :) Eves compartment is still a bit of a test one being such a tough species G.smithii.

More to come with Pics :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Here is a quick shot of Nicole under her Ric bench still a bit to nervous to venture out.
aimg713.imageshack.us_img713_2079_dsc0767vu.jpg

Here is Tintin now having made his way down the burrow more and poking around the corner entrance of the branch that holds his Ric bench.
aimg846.imageshack.us_img846_8220_dsc0765d.jpg

Their individual small stature is obvious considering Rocky & Eve both have the same diameter PVC but due to them being more then twice the G.ternatensis current size, fill the 32mm nicely.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Here is an FTS of the Middle Tank within STAND A that hosts my 2 G.ternatensis now with their individual DIY PVC burrows in place.

aimg687.imageshack.us_img687_5843_dsc0770i.jpg

More to come as they get use to their new environments :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Here are a few more pics :D a little more detailed then the last.

Tintin
aimg404.imageshack.us_img404_9670_dsc0778cu.jpg

Nicole
aimg716.imageshack.us_img716_8017_dsc0779wl.jpg
aimg29.imageshack.us_img29_8837_dsc0780p.jpg

Here are a couple of other pic's I'd like to share :) both detailing the Superman Rhodactis in focus, notice the price difference though above each...

$7.90
aimg198.imageshack.us_img198_4422_790gm.jpg

$40.00
aimg84.imageshack.us_img84_944_4000e.jpg

Can you see a difference o_O ?

More to come :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
A trio of videos :D

Up first is The Leviathan finally bringing down the large vroliki angel.

Here is Morgoth taking his pick from a school of Chromii (won't do this again, camera cannot focus as seen in this video, the cluster of fish makes the camera refocus...unless it's a setting I have on the camera...).

Finally here is Morgoth again (Leviathan is likely sated for a while after taking that large fish so may not see him for week+) this time I recorded Morgoth taking down 1 fish (so the camera stayed focused) but also in High Speed @ 400FPS!

More to come as I know Morgoth is keen for the rest of these Chromii, also going for a little crab collection soon so should have some smasher activity later as well :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Just got back from collecting :)

Captured a few fish as well about half a dozen oyster blenny of different sizes biggest was about 2.5inchs long however instead of doing what I do with most fish (feed them to the spearers)...........I placed them randomly into the smaller smasher tanks hopefully to give the smashers a little bit of entertainment in trying to catch them.

When I put the large 2.5inch blenny into Rockys compartment he instantly came out to greet it, a cat n mouse chase resumed with the blenny darting into the PVC and Rocky following, it popped out twice with Rocky close behind, then from within the PVC I heard dull taping noise, Rocky had caught it.

Also got a bundle of crabs from tiny to large :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I might of missed Rocky chasing down his fish ... but I did manage to get a little bit of Tintin chasing & wrestling with his, unfortunately Tintin is the smallest stomatopod I have...so it's not as detailed etc. still really kool to see him taking on a fish :D

More to come as I start to offer up some crabs :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
With the addition of the blennies to STAND A it would seem that most of the stands resident stomatopods didn't want to come out to eat...which I could only lay down to 1 reason...they had all caught a blenny and feasted on it, so there was no action to be had after the lone video of Tintin for STAND A....

STAND B was slightly similar unfortunately...although I didn't add any blennies to any of the compartments/tanks...I assume Maximus & Minnie were just not hungry/full as they were certainly offered food but showed no interest in it (normally they pounce but they were all defensive and staying in their cavities). Having said that...the 2 heavyweight smashers certainly put on a show :D.

The Kraken really taking it to his meal and making sure it was really tenderized...

The Juggernaut on the other hand pumped it out...a few power packed punches early in the one sided fight not only left the crab totally dazed and confused but when you watch the hits, it's like watching a boxing fight in slow motion, all the sweat flying off each other as each strike lands, same here except the sweat is sediment built up on the crab over time, these punches are smacking the dust of it xD...

More to come :p

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
The condos look great and the stoms seem to enjoy being in them! Such beautiful and deadly animals, makes me glad I'm not a small fish :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Finally I have settled with how I want my 2 Large Smasher tanks too look (currently housing 2 O.scyllarus), the original plan was very simple due to the blunt fact that Peacocks and Light are not a good combination so the possibilities of keeping coral was instantly diminished, however with the knowledge now that it is more of a water chemistry thing rather then a lighting specific problem (light being the catalyst) I instantly started to remake plans for the tanks individual homes to host coral (but more importantly, upgrade each stands filtration majorly), nonetheless this is the soon to be started new DIY PVC burrows with plateaus, since these 2 tanks are the only without dividers they are the largest 'individual compartments' so they will be the center piece for the nicest of corals etc. (ironically hosting one of the nicest colored stomatopods currently :p).

aimg5.imageshack.us_img5_8483_oscyllarushomes.jpg

The plan is to branch into all major groups within each tank, with mushies/softies & zoa's etc residing on the substrate level scattered about, on the mid level plateaus residing around the entrance/exits of the burrow are for LPS whilst the long slim back row running the length of the burrow will be for SPS (tough stuff dallas frags, encrusting monti etc.)

One thing I have learned that is more paramount here then in the case of a simple dark tank itself is that the peacocks need places of complete darkness and good flow within the burrow itself, being partly buried along with have angled entrance/exits means darkness in the burrow is going to be at a maximum, flow wise the 2 little grey squares are intended little pumps, plan is to just get the smallest pumps (Eheim Compact 300 likely) and dial them back as needed to help hide the cords I am going to neatly glue cable guides into the back of the burrow so as to hide the cable.

There will be a pair of powerheads outside the burrows for the sake of overall flow.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Looks like a nice plan, lol I have enough trouble deciding what to have for lunch most days. The crew will love it!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Got a good recording in High Speed of Morgoth plucking a fish from the water column, was very nerve wracking to get since he didn't just strike as soon as the fish came into range....mixed in with the fact that I cannot simply push record then walk away for 20-30mins, only records for 4secs at High Speed so you basically got to press record rite before the strike and since everything happens so quick...it's easy to miss it, nonetheless I got this one good!

Make sure to select the highest quality you can (max being 1080p) and then adjust the resolution as you see fit, I think I did a good job with the editing of it to get a clearer picture at full screen size, it is watchable, I want to see what 1200FPS will be like (3x slower then current) and how 'good/bad' the resolution is even after editing...might be surprised me thinks.

More to come!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Finally I have a somewhat accurate list of equipment that will come with the upgrade along with prices to match them (with the quote coming back to me on the sump builds and costs) :D! I'll summarize it all...

3x HOB Overflows (by LifeReef) for the display stands to connect to the sump stands = $450
3x Tunze Skimmers (1x 9002 & 2x 9006) & 1x TLF Phos 150 reactor (have 2 reactors already) = $850
16x Tunze Nano Pumps (6016) & 10x Eheim Compact Pumps (3x 2000 & 7x 300) = $1500
6x Eshine LED Bridgelux (3x25 & 3x40) = $700
8x Custom Sumps = $3100.

Estimated total = $6600

Considering the amount of extras as well (electrical setup is being installed so boards etc, along with the live rock, substrate, macro algae and refugiums inhabitants, the media for the reactors etc). I would estimate around $7500-$8000 should be enough...

But with it will literally comes a wall of coral 4meters long and 2.5meters high with just over 2,000L of water, likely the weight of 2 small cars going off my brothers first car (a small lancer) there will also be the chance to keep at the very least 12 more stomatopods (with in the refugiums).

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Spoke to my old man as I was starting to get worried about power and only having 1 pair of plugs in the wall to actually use for EVERYTHING...it's too difficult to get in behind now to change it but thankfully with good placement and lots of extension cables... I can do it :D all the boards are on the floor rite now and all mixed up with different things in different boards not related to that stand, not too mention there are no timers for the lights either which will soon be added.

All up I calculated 42individual plugs from the various equipment o_O but oddly enough it will not be over 1,000watts (I hear that 2,400watts (10amps) is the 'general' limit per wall socket), currently I calculate it at 817watts total (not including the Refugium lights). Although there is a lot of plugs in general the wattage is not that high not too mention the primary power sucker (lights) won't be on 24/7 but more like 12hrs per 24hrs.

aimg593.imageshack.us_img593_999_powerplugalighnment.jpg

more to come :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
That is not accurate those power plugs...I didn't take into account that STAND A & B Display Lights have 3 Power Cords each fixture...a simple slip up. However it boosts it to 54 plugs... o_O wattage is still under 1000 total.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
A few photos to change things up :D I am starting to get the hang of the Nikon 1 V2 and photography which it does a noticeable difference in comparison to the Nikon P500 (again the ability to change the lenses is great and what I have rite now is considered the most basic/overall for it).

Focus is on the eyes and areas just around it.

Juggernaut
aimg233.imageshack.us_img233_4712_dsc0855qx.jpg

Kraken
aimg818.imageshack.us_img818_8214_dsc0865q.jpg
aimg560.imageshack.us_img560_5199_dsc0868a.jpg

Great Display animals :D

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
A few days ago I posted a pic of my planned O.scyllarus DIY PVC burrows and today I made a 'mock setup' of 1, because the 2 tanks are slightly different in size (bottom tank holding Juggy is 100mm taller then the one above holding Kraken) I made the other DIY PVC burrow slightly taller to make up for the extra height, I also tweaked it a bit more...

This was the picture I made in paint a few days ago...
aimg5.imageshack.us_img5_8483_oscyllarushomes.jpg

The only change was that of the verticals supporting the SPS plateau running along the back and above everything, they looked a little...plain and could easily host things themselves...so I added 3 plateaus to each Vertical ensuring that each one wasn't covering the one below it they form a kind of big 'V' because on the inside outer most entry/exit verticals, sit the pumps designed to increase flow within the DIY PVC burrow itself.

aimg580.imageshack.us_img580_6870_dsc0870ns.jpg

The entire horizontal bottom of the DIY PVC burrow will be buried under coral rubble with only the verticals poking up from the substrate, because of this simple fact the entire horizontal portion of the bottom will NOT be coated with substrate & glue (everything above substrate level will be coated in glue & substrate just like the previous burrows for STAND A).

Going to look good in the end me thinks :D