Tank Journal Archive

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I was thinking for those spots where you want a nem, why dont you try a torch coral? They kinda look like a nem. Grab a nice colour and the best thing is they wont go walk-about over everything!
That is the plan, replace the nems with Tentacle LPS "ultra" grade :P

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
I have seen some come and go over the past few months wishing I could nab them but point is I am currently unprepared :) the major filtration upgrade is basically set in motion now, with nearly 1 of everything I can currently run being ordered for testing (powerhead, light etc).

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Minos has begun to do that which every spearer owner hopes for =) he has begun a new burrow but at the front of the tank in the right hand corner, although he has yet to ever complete a true burrow... I reallllly hope he completes this one...

aimg706.imageshack.us_img706_995_dsc0960t.jpg
aimg32.imageshack.us_img32_4006_dsc0961i.jpg

Minos being an L.colemani is a strange spearer, found in some depth of water (this one caught at 65fathoms...) not much is known about them and even less is known about them in the aquarium world, it's a rare inhabitant to STAND B and in there because he will not grow to the sizes of the much larger foot plus species inhabiting STAND C.

He is my greatest concern on the simple fact that there is no information to fall back on other then reports from the wild captures of them. For the most part it would seem that their requirements are much similar to that of other 'zebras' however the 65fathom depth would mean at the very least, less light and lower temperatures...the former being provided and the latter being managed as best possible (lowering the overall room temp).

Whilst Minos has shown very clear and distinct signs of recovery since coming aboard the crew he has been leaving me very unsettled...this is one VERY skiddish stomatopod, swift movements near him will send him into a crazy and swift swimming around the tank, striking everything he comes into contact with, only to finally 'calm down' and sink to the bottom of the tank (upright, no 'keeling over' action yet), he has yet to of taken any live food nor taken in any decent amount of food (only nibbles the smallest bites before throwing it away).

I know he is getting nutrients from what he takes off what is offered because I have had him since October 17th 2012, he will not take to any PVC pipes offered all various sizes nor inhabit any buried and 'prepared' he will dig but only a little bit enough to stick his telson in.

I'm concern that he has lost his ability to create a burrow in the substrate (bind sand) I am assuming his dramatic 'spasms' and timidness extends from this lack of burrow...without him wanting to take to a burrow that I have prepared or offered (PVC) this is a bit of a stalemate...

Time will tell but it has been a few months now.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
This evening I gave my largest stomatopod 'Leviathan' a large fish which he swiftly captured and dragged back into his burrow...oddly enough and for the 2nd time now, the fish was "released" but only after a lengthy time of around 1hr at first I was confused at seeing it thinking that the spearer had just killed it on impulse/reaction then tossed it away not hungry however....upon closer inspection it would seem that the stomatopod did indeed feed on the fish a bit before 'releasing' it....I was surprised simply because the fish was still alive even though its tail had been completely consumed by the spearer....

Here is the fish after it was released from the burrow by the spearer. Note the completely almost clean cut missing tail, hard to believe it was 'chewed' off...it looks like it was cut by a knife.
aimg252.imageshack.us_img252_696_dscn5367.jpg

Minos the L.colemani comes up to the front of his compartment to have a stare down with the camera a brief chance at some good closeups :)
aimg90.imageshack.us_img90_5092_dsc0970n.jpg
aimg194.imageshack.us_img194_7466_dsc0966nb.jpg

Since the Leviathan refused the live fish after it released it and ate its tail...I thought about who to offer this still live fish too since it was now in the final stages of succumbing...Initially I thought Minos but it is rather large for the smaller spearer...I then opted to give the fish to my largest smasher (the first time he tasted live fish), was quite a funny thing to watch as the fish was still mobile and the stomatopod so goofy in its pursuit, nonetheless he finally caught the fish and after a few well placed punches, ended its misery.

Here are some pics I also filmed the Leviathan taking down the fish initially along with the Juggernaut chasing it around and finally catching it =) (vids to come).
aimg35.imageshack.us_img35_8018_dsc0981ns.jpg
aimg20.imageshack.us_img20_2176_dsc0984bd.jpg
aimg685.imageshack.us_img685_1427_dsc0982i.jpg

Vids to come :)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Great pics as always! Hope Minos finally settles into a burrow of some sort, must feel really stressful for it with no cover to hide in.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Great pics as always! Hope Minos finally settles into a burrow of some sort, must feel really stressful for it with no cover to hide in.
Stressful for him and me...In general if a stomatopod cannot hide its form entirely then it will not have it's 'usual' personality, rather they will always be timid, paranoid, easily scared, its hard to get him to eat and most of the times I think he does so only because he is starving...he is still too timid to hunt live prey and after a while, even the small fish become more boisterous around him and I have seen them go in for a peck at his antenna, so I never leave live food in with him to eat...stressful enough not having a burrow doesn't need the stress of prey becoming predator...

I can only go off the information given to me prior to acquiring him off the sales person...from what I was told he was kept for a few months maybe 6 months in the sales person tank, problem is the substrate in that tank was small pebbles, impossible to form a burrow in...if spearers are kept without a fine substrate that they can bind/build with through the use of their mucus glands, they will drop their mucus glands in a molt all together assuming that the ability is now useless.

Upon dropping of the glands the stomatopod will never again be able to build in sand, this is what I feared has happened....coupled with Minos dislike of all PVC so far makes it a very difficult task to hide himself....

Next step is to get a slightly wider then him piece of PVC and coat it with sand etc like I have done with my frames (but just a small piece) stick it into the sand and suck out the sand within it sort of making it ready....HOPEFULLY he will take to it but :S I don't know...the good thing is he has shown signs of clear recovery in my care :) having shed all minor shell rot that he had, he is very cumbersome out of the water and rolls around in the water column when trying to swim but as he falls always lands correct side up, he's alert and ironically for a spearer...active.

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Not sure what you have in his tank rock wise ( I can't keep track of who is who!) but you probably already thought of building him a rock cave.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Not sure what you have in his tank rock wise ( I can't keep track of who is who!) but you probably already thought of building him a rock cave.
Well it is known for smaller spearers (even though this one is 6inchs long and as fat as 3 of my fingers side by side...) that they do not like to live in PVC preferring the sands to build their own burrow....larger spearers will not mind the pre-made home designed for them, small 6inch L.mac's will not inhabit PVC often but larger foot+ species will often.

In all honesty I never thought of building a rock cave mostly because of the effort and high likely hood that he will not use it, unlike smashers spearers in general have much more delicate bodies and the soft sandy/muddy substrates will not irritate their undersides, rock however is different, having said this I do have a large piece of Live Rock in the tank with him in the hopes he would dig under it at least but still nothing...he seems to start digging but get to a point where he can no longer 'dig', likely keeps caving in....

Another thing that concerns me is the simple fact of habitat where this species came from....it was captured at over 65fathoms....whilst he has adapted to the change in temperature (likely being much colder down there) I fear that at 65fathoms the substrate itself is more fine, silty/muddy...since it's such a rare species as well it makes attaining information quite hard....

If it does require mud or at least (in most cases 50/50mud and sand), I will scoop out about half the sand in there currently and replace it with maybe a large bag of Miracle Mud (the only marine mud that I know, rather then collect locally and risk contamination, a 10kg bag should be plenty and hopefully allow the spearer to feel more 'at home' and most importantly I hope it burrows....

Mud burrowing species do not bind with mucus they just build using the muds own viscosity and their engineering ability.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Videos in order (since the same prey appears in both videos).

First up is The Leviathan, snagging the live fish as it dared to swim by...oddly enough after an unknown time period the spearer must of released the fish and perhaps even removed it from the burrow....is this simply because when I walked past the tank about an hour later, I saw the fish on the substrate leaning against the divider and panting rapidly with its tail completely removed :confused:, its tail be removed is what startled me in a manner of 'no tail :confused:...how did it get OUT of the burrow...).

HD - 1080p capabilities

So after realizing that either Leviathan was just after a snack before releasing the fish still alive I thought who else could take the still live large fish...Morgoth was a consideration as was Minos but the former I had plans for already (going for HS) while the latter I thought would just get spooked out by the large fish...so...Enter the Juggernaut :D, this is the first time he has taken a live fish before and unfortunately the 1st half of the film was set to a REALLY high white balance so was unwatchable however I did manage to get the ending where he finally grabs a hold of the fish, sealing its fate....

More to come as I tempt Morgoth into a High Speed recording :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
It's all testing with the L.colemani...so much is unknown all that is known is of recordings from divers in the wild / trawlers catching them as by catch there is NO information on them in aquariums...the only GOOD thing I can state is this...with the demise of ALL the 'squillids' that I got with this L.colemani (5 other squillids & 2 others caught locally off the jetty)...it means 1 thing, L.colemani is tough/hardy much like the whole family Lysiosquillidea, those squillids unfortunately suffered rite to the end...it's difficult to tell when a stomatopod (specially a spearer) is nearing the end...in general they rarely move...

Aug 23, 2011
Just a thought form corals, seeing as u have the lights off most of the time why not try some sun coral or tubastrea? It is beautiful and easily target fed with brine shrimp :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Just a thought form corals, seeing as u have the lights off most of the time why not try some sun coral or tubastrea? It is beautiful and easily target fed with brine shrimp :)
If your talking about the O.scyllarus tanks specifically this is true 'currently' having said that (with due reading through my threads) the whole upgrade is to essentially 'allow' me to turn the lights ON above their tanks primarily because shell rot is commonly misunderstood in the simple "fact" that its all to do with lights only....this is NOT true, the Primary reason for shell rot is bad water quality, the disease breeds and spreads in the bad water quality of the tank however lights will massively increase its growth and spread throughout the tank, it's easier to maintain a dark tank for sure.

So rather then just do what I am currently and not even really 'challenging' myself by just having the lights off to HELP FIGHT (not prevent) shell rot I thought I would attack it at the source (before turning the lights ON) so by doing this major filtration & light upgrade I not only intend to be able to host corals in all the tanks but also to have water quality so great that the disease cannot grow within it thus lighting shouldn't be an issue.

Anyone that wants to keep a 'Peacock' (O.scyllarus) in a reef tank or tank with lights on should make sure they have the following first....

- Very very good water quality (filtration).
- Powerful flow.
- Completely dark place for the stomatopod to rest and strong flow within this place.

If those areas are accomplished then an O.scyllarus should thrive in a fully stocked reef (even with lighting though I should state that the brightest lights I have ever heard are just LEDs & Fluro bulbs (NO halides).

It's a risk I am taking but at least I know exactly whats happening, how to counter it and effectively what to do should things go wrong (I know what too look for :P)
-

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Caught the Juggernaut (O.scyllarus) off guard by sneaking up all commando style with my camera :D
aimg837.imageshack.us_img837_1632_dsc1000y.jpg

Upon noticing me get closer he turned his full gaze on me and began to ward me off...
aimg7.imageshack.us_img7_6779_dsc1002z.jpg

I acknowledged his anger and backed off, a smasher of this size could do serious damage to the glass if provoked into doing so...
[Broken External Image]:[URL]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/6347/dsc1004w.jpg[/URL]

If there is one distinct difference between when I first got Minos (L.colemani) and to date is the simple fact that he seems to be getting more use to the whole 'no burrow' ordeal...even though he has not advanced in shell rot and shown significant recovery and even though he is yet to bring down live prey he has become more bolder, initially if approached to quickly by anything he would dart and bounce around the tank running into many things...

However now he seems to of grown more of an inquisitive nature, whilst I still do approach slowly, he no longer backs away but rather comes forward almost to greet the camera...
aimg577.imageshack.us_img577_9928_dsc09921e.jpg

Curious about the camera he came forth to the very front and crawled up the glass a bit :)
aimg96.imageshack.us_img96_8761_dsc0992wv.jpg

Notice the still developing antenna, a sign that his health is returning.
aimg163.imageshack.us_img163_232_dsc0989x.jpg

It's relatively easy to capture photographs of these 2 stomatopods seeing as their sheer bulk makes them an easy target for the camera, when it comes to the smaller ones I tend to set aside a good 30-45mins to clean the glass off each compartment setup the tripod and coax each one out individually :)

More to come!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Here is another picture and good opportunity to describe how I recycle food :)...

Leviathan speared a large live fish, which after a while he released from his burrow only having chewed the fish tail off, the fish still being alive was then given to Juggernaut who ended its suffering and ate a great deal of it, after noticing the remain of the fish in the corner of the tank still containing some flesh, I removed it and placed it in the tank above, containing the Kraken (a smaller O.scyllarus) who also had his fill of the carcass until he too flung it from the burrow again I removed it and finally gave it to Minos who is now happily munching on it, he took to it quite fast which I am glad to see :)

aimg62.imageshack.us_img62_3084_dsc1013l.jpg

More to come :D still trying to catch Morgoth on HS again but he is being stubborn -_-

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Glad you like them, oddly enough they should get much better with a dedicated Macro lens :)

Want to be able to capture individual parts in very close up detail so as it fills the whole photograph like 1 of the eyes filling the whole shot, each eye is so unique to each individual species, it shows a lot of character.

Or their antenna scales (the 2 feather looking wings beside the eyes) again each one is unique to the species it belongs to :)

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Hopefully this has some sort of 'effect' to those that enjoy reading....for now, as it will very soon come to life in a 'movie story' basically pictures (which in this is represented by the not bold writing) with the words above and around them (being the bold writing in this version).

You MUST have an imagination for this kind of stuff....

This story is a complete remake of 2 certain scenes in the film, 'The Hobbit' so whilst it could be regarded as 'spoiler' material for those that have not seen it, there is a major change to everything about it...

I just hope others enjoy reading it and have the imagination to follow it :D and if you have seen the movie well, it 'should' paint a clear picture....

so here is the 'text' to my remake of these short scenes which I have called....

The Copepod – An unexpected Journey.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STARRING (In order of text/appearance)

Juggernaut (O.scyllarus) as King Odonto (King Thror).
Kraken (*altered* O.scyllarus) as Dondac (Thrain, Thrors son).
Kraken (O.scyllarus) as Tylus (Thorin, Thrains son).
Maximus (G.graphurus) as Phuru (Balin)
Lionfish as King Leo (King Thranduil)
Octopus as The Kraken (Smaug the Dragon)
Leviathan (L.maculata) as Makul, the Zebra (Azog, the Defiler)

It began long ago, in a sea far away to the east, the like of which, you would not find in the world today...

Camera - <Camera panning over map of Australia heading towards the north eastern coast of QLD>

There were the sand banks of Ausalia it’s waters known far and wide, full of the bounties of nutrients and resources, peaceful and prosperous...

Camera – <Camera pans over the shore line and sand banks along the coast line>

For these sand banks lay before the walls of the greatest kingdom in the sea....The Great Barrier Reef.

Camera – <Camera pans over The Great Barrier Reef>

Stronghold of Odonto, king under the reef, mightiest of the smashing stomatopod lords.

Camera – <Camera pans over the stronghold whilst Odonto looks out from above the main gate>

Odonto ruled with utter surety, never doubting his house would endure, for his line lay secure in the lives of his son...and grandson....

Camera – <Camera pans over Ondonto whilst sitting on his throne then briefly switches to his son and grandson>

Ahh Pepo, The Great Barrier Reef...the stronghold was built deep within the reef itself, the beauty of this fortress kingdom was legendary, its wealth lay in the reef around it, a wide variety of food found deep in the reef and great meadows of colorful corals sprouting out where ever they chose...the skill of the smashers was unequalled, fashioning tools of great use out of stone, shell, crystal and coral...

Camera – <Camera pans over the stronghold showing other smashers at work securing the inside, storing food and excavating deeper>

Ever they delved, deeper down into the dark...

Camera – <Camera focuses in on a smasher digging at the depths of the stronghold>

And that is where they found it...the heart of the reef, the Gorganella...

Camera – <Camera zooms in on the smasher as it acts in shock at its discovery>

Odonto named it the ‘Kings Coral’, he took it as a sign, a sign that his rite to rule was divine, all would pay homage to him, even the great Fish King, Leo...

Camera – <Camera pans over Odonto on throne whilst Leo approaches to give respects>

But the years of peace and plenty were not to last...slowly the waters turned sour and the colder nights closed in...

Camera – <Camera shows main gate as the day turns to night>

Odontos love of food had grown to fierce...a sickness had begun to grow within him...it was a sickness of the mind...and where sickness thrives, bad things will follow...

Camera – < Camera pans over Odonto as he dances around his massive food horde inside his personal chamber>

Camera – < Camera focuses on Tylus who was secretly watching his grandfathers mad dance, confused by the kings motions>

The first they heard was like a tidal wave coming down from the north, the corals on the reef creaked and cracked under the surging force of the water....

Tylus – <Tylus demands that Phuru alert the guard to come to the main gate>

Phuru – <Phuru confused by the events around them asks Tylus what it is>

Tylus – <Tylus responds with kraken, then turns around to shout inside the stronghold KRAKEN!>

He was a cephalopod from the north......The Kraken had come...

The Kraken – <The Kraken sprays ink onto the stronghold as the smashers block up all access to within, coating most of its exterior and smothering some smashers, killing them, the Kraken then moves towards the sand banks in front of the reef>

Such pointless death was dealt that day...for the sand banks of the reef meant nothing to The Kraken...his eyes were set on another prize...

The Kraken – <The Kraken returns to the stronghold and begins to assault the main gate>

For cephalopods covet food, with a dark and fierce desire...

The Kraken – <The Kraken destroys main gate and charges through the fortress killing all in its path to Odontos food storage chamber>.

Odonto – <Odonto enters the chamber whilst holding ‘Kings Coral’, but drops it when The Kraken confronts him crying out as the Kraken reaches for ‘Kings Coral’>

The Kraken – <Noticing the attachment the smasher has to the coral, picks it up, smiles, then crushes it>

Odonto – <Odonto roars in anger and steps forward to engage the much larger opponent>

The Kraken – <The Kraken smiles and moves in to engage the outmatched opponent>

Tylus – <Tylus darts into the room, grabs Odonto and drags him out>

The Kraken – <The Kraken ignores them and turns to the feast of food within the chamber>

The Stronghold Reef...was lost, for a cephalopod will guard its plunder, for as long as it lives...

Leo – <Leo & other fish watch on from a distance as smashers are seen fleeing out of the main gate>

Tylus – <Tylus cries out for help but gets no response from the fish>

Leo – <Leo turns his back and commands his forces to exit, leaving the smashers to their fate>

Leo would not risk the lives of his kin to the wrath of the cephalopod, no help came from the fish that day....or any day since...

Tylus – <Tylus watches Leo and the fish leave, confused and angry at their betrayal>

Robbed of their home, the smashers of the reef wondered the sea floors, a once mighty race, brought to ruin....

Camera – <Camera pans over the surviving smashers as they wonder together along the open sea floor>

A young smasher prince took refuge with others where he could find it, paranoid in the open emptiness, but always he remembered, the reef debri floating off in the crashing current, the coral broken and splintered when he had seen cephalopod ink in the water and the sand banks picked clean of life...and he never forgave...and he never forgot...

Camera – <Camera zooms in on Tylus as he looks back over the wondering group that follows him>

After the cephalopod took the stronghold of ‘The Great Barrier Reef’, King Odonto tried to reclaim, the ancient smasher kingdom, Gonodak...But the smashers mortal enemy had got there first...Gonodak had been taken, by legions of spearers...

Camera – <Camera pans over a large battle between smashers and spearers in front of Gonodak>

Led by the most vile of ALL their race...

Camera – <Camera focuses on a very large spearer impaling and flinging away the much smaller smashers that confront it>

Makul, the Zebra...

Camera – <Camera focuses on Ondonto at the rear of his guards, Odonto watches in horror at the approach of the giant spearer as it easily impales and flings away his guards at the front>

The giant, Lysios spearer, had sworn, to wipe-out the line of Odonto...

Makul – <Makul approaching Odonto can’t believe his eyes that the king is here and increases his pace through Odontos guard>

Camera – <Camera focuses on the brief fight between Odonto & Makul>

He began, by beheading the king......

Makul – <Makul holds Odontos head high in the air for all to see and roars in victory>

Tylus – <Tylus seeing his grandfathers head decapitated by the giant spearer screams in horror and anger>

Makul – <Makul throws Odontos head at Tylus’ feet>

Dondac, Tylus’ father was driven mad by grief, he went missing, taken prisoner or killed, they did not known... the smashers were leaderless... defeat and death were upon them...

Camera – <Camera pans over the battle as smashers begin to retreat and many being impaled by spearers>

That is when he rose...a young smasher prince, facing down, the giant spearer...

Tylus – <Tylus confronts Makul filled with rage he charges the vastly larger opponent>

He stood alone against this terrible foe...

Camera – <Camera focuses on the brief fight between Tylus & Makul>

His telson shattered and dactyls broken, wielding nothing but a broken piece of coral as a shield...

Camera – <Camera focuses on the fight between Tylus & Makul and shattering of Tylus telson, the braking of Tylus dactyls & Tylus desparate act of picking up a piece of coral for use as a shield>

Makul – <Makul pummeling Tylus with closed datyls mockingly ‘toying’ with the much smaller opponent>

Makul – <Makul Tired of toying lifts and opens both spears to ‘finish’ Tylus>

Tylus – <Tylus drops coral used for shield and picks up broken spearer claw and holds with maxillipeds, slicing off both claws of Makul as he descends>.

Makul, the Zebra, learned that day...that the line of Odonto, would not be so easily broken...

<END>

As I have already stated the plan is to make this into a watchable and readable 'story' :) I just need to complete my first project first, which is not far off :D