Tank Journal Archive

Dragon dragon

Dec 8, 2012
You could put some oysters or mussels in there and maybe if they breed the mudskipper fry could eat the larvae from the oysters/mussels

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the aquarium housing the adults is not capable of raising the larvae. The mudskipper larvae are pelagic and exist in the plankton layer of the ocean for a certian period of time until such time that they metamorphose and dettle back into mangrove areas. As such, they will have to be raised in seperate aquaria that can replicate the planktonic environment.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
they certianly are, a fish that is not confined by the definition of a fish. They are increadable creatures and with given the correct environment, have fantastic peronalities and behaviours.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Well didn't they grow up to be big & fat lol.
The mangroves look like they are doing well also!

Still a great setup @dr_schell :)
Thanks, it is certianly my favourite and the fish are the most personable that I have ever had. More like little pet puppies the way that they beg for food and jump up onto your hand the second it is in the tank.

Tas

Jan 29, 2013
Just read from start to finish, love what you have done with the tides, any news on babies?

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
this year has been less successful than last and I attribute this to the addional mudskipper that I added (different species - Periopthalmus takita). The male is just now beginning to build a burow and the female has become bloated with eggs and very aggressive towards the male (different from last year). Will post a video of the burrow building very soon. Glad to hear that you like this thread. This tank is certianly my favourite!!!!! Mudskippers make fantastic pets and they are very tough as well.

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
Not sure if you have already mentioned it but what are you using to shoot this footage?

Buddy

Mar 13, 2012
I was expecting something a bit more technical! :p The app does a good job!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, and you can control the frame speed and everything. If I can use it (I am technically challanged), anyone can!

May 30, 2012
Ok all,
Although I have not witnessed it, I think that this pair have spawned again. The male fish is constantly in the burrow and when out, appears to be guarding the entrance. Video of this behaviour is provided below:

Hi Chris,

today I caught the first larvae of P.variabilis. The pair has spawend in the setup I´ve shown to you in this thread. I´ve changed only the species of mudskipper. Instead of P.novemradiatus now I work with P. variabilis.

Hans-Georg
c.jpeg