Tank Journal Archive

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Forgive me dr_schell

I know you would of stated this somewhere in the labyrinth of this thread (:D which is amazing!) but like I would do for you or any other person (well I doubt you since you wouldn't ask) I would repeat an answer to a question as best I can that anyone would ask me in my thread on stomatopods no matter how many times I would repeat it :D I enjoy the aspect of helping.

So I ask you...What mud did you use/where/how did you get it ?

I plan on setting up a VERY deepwater stomatopod species stand soon (STAND D) which will require mud as a substrate however I don't really know how to get "vast quantities" (think of STAND C top tank full of mud with a STAND B bottom tank 1/2 full of mud, in terms of the amount required...).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the mud was obtained from a near-by esturary environment. I removed and area from the upper 5cm only to ensure that the setiments were not so toxic that they woul kill the tank inhabitants. As the creatures in this system have evolved to cope with such conditions over 1000's of years, this was not too big an issue. However, I would advise againse using such a technique with your critters as they generally inhabitat areas that are subject to massive water movement and generally are exposed to greater water quality than are mudskippers and archerfish.

My suggestion would be to use "clean sand" interspersed with larger grained coral rubble. In time this will be come anoxic and should be able to support the burrowing activities of your stromatapods wiothout caving in.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
the mud was obtained from a near-by esturary environment. I removed and area from the upper 5cm only to ensure that the setiments were not so toxic that they woul kill the tank inhabitants. As the creatures in this system have evolved to cope with such conditions over 1000's of years, this was not too big an issue. However, I would advise againse using such a technique with your critters as they generally inhabitat areas that are subject to massive water movement and generally are exposed to greater water quality than are mudskippers and archerfish.

My suggestion would be to use "clean sand" interspersed with larger grained coral rubble. In time this will be come anoxic and should be able to support the burrowing activities of your stromatapods wiothout caving in.
I cannot do this unfortunately....

The species in question that will be kept in these tanks MUST have mud as there undersides are to delicate and can easily be damaged by the coarser substrate like sand etc, also they have not been recorded in the wild being found in any substrate other then mud, there is no other option other then to use mud...

As far as them being found where water changes rapidly I am not entirely sure of that....since there found in muddy areas and at depths of 1000m + the flow down there would be near still and rather "nasty/mucky" so these are species that thrive in still water environments if given the mud to house in.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
In the wild, mud is fine given the VAST DILUTION factor of any toxins associated with anoxic conditions (ie, hydrogen sulfide, etc). However, in the closed system of the aquyarium, I fear that the use of mud may be detrimental for you animal. I agree that we should strive to replicate an animals natual environment, however when this has the potential to NEGATIVELY IMPACT on that particular animal lin the captive environment, does this not go against the ultimate goal of keeping these animals - to keep then healthy, happy and in time get them to reproduce. If this animal has no other way of being kept, and you cannot ensure it's captive health, they you may wish to re-think keeping this particular species.

Just my humble opinion!

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
This species can be kept quite easily they just need special requirement as stated here.

Dr. Caldwell a leading professor and scientist in the field of stomatopod at the university of berkeley california has told me that they require this mud and he has setup many mud tanks for species that require it.

So it can def be done! :D

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
ok, perhaps best to communicate with him directly has to how he has achieved this. I have no experience using mud appart from in the tank that is the SUBJECT of this thread. Suggest you start a new thread related to this issue.

Kharn

Dec 24, 2011
Brisbane
Yeah I wanted to go local first since I knew of locals having used the substrate before and since I want to use local methods of obtaining it.

As far as the collection of mud goes, I have a mate that has a tidal tank just like yours except its housing a really rare spearing mantis.

He just collected his mud from the wild much like yourself although I do not believe he took so much consideration as you did (he just dug for it no real thought about toxins).

Thanks for your help I appreciate it :D

Fancy Fish

Sep 13, 2012
Absolulely amazing news! What a HUGE accomplishment! I stumbled across this site and this forum while doing research trying to find any news of captive breeding of mudskippers. May I make a humble request/suggestion? Would you be willing to submit an article about your tank and breeding success to some aquarium magazines? I personally read Tropical Fish Hobbyist, tfhmagazine.com and Amazonas, amazonasmagazine.com. I am sure their subscripbers would be as awe struck and excited as I was to read your posts and watch your videos. It is September now...what are your mudskippers up to now?

Can I assume the first batch of young was not raised successfully as I did not see any further threads? Granted, I find forums particularly difficult to navigate, I can seldom find what I want so forgive me if I missed the biggest posts of all! I will wait with baited breath to read of your further tries.

My son and I have been waiting to add a mudskipper to our home simply because there were no captive bred ones available. Now it seems like that may be a near-future possibility. Although, it would need someone on our own particular continent being able to reproduce what you have done! Hope if near!

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hello Fancy Fish welcome to the forum. Yes it is now Spring and the mudskippers are begining to re-build/repair their burrow (only the male undertakes this activity). I am hoping that the reproductive activity I observed last season continues this season. It is still relativley cool of a night and althoug my tank water is heated (whist in the sump), during the 'low tide phase', the tank cools down (this happens naturally where this species occurs so I have tried to mimic this in their aquarium).

Due to time constraints and work commitiments, I did not attemp to raise of collect any of the hatch larvae from last season. I hope to do so this season, but once again, work commitments vie for most of my time.

As for publishing this material, once sufficient infirmation has been collected, it is hoped that it will be publishable in a peer-reviewed journal. However, in the mean time, people are welcome to follow events on this site. In addition to this thread, other interesting infomration on a host of different species is contained on this site.

The advantage that this site has over a 'reefing magazine' is that it is dymanic, and the people that publish there news on this forum are generally willing to share their information in a way that is both constructive and informative. Please take the time to read other threads on this forum as they are just as interesting as this one.

The best of success to both you and your son.

Cheers, Chris.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Hi All,
It has been a while. Things are starting to 'ramp-up' in this tank again after a very long and slow winter for these tropical fish. I have cut back the mangroves. In the process, I discovered that the male had constructed a 'new' nesting site, hidden away, behind a piece of wood. Haven't observed any courtship yet, but the female is HUGE and the male has coloured up. I have added an additional 'juvenile' mudskipper and removed the archerfish as the archer had grown much too large. Will post photos when I can.

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
Here are a few photos that I have taken of this tank within the last week. Pease note that the Archer fish has been removed that there is a juvenile mudskipper in with the pair. The male, the darker coloured large fish as has coloured up and the female (the pale coloured large fish) is bulging with eggs.

Brisbane-20121022-00841.jpg
Brisbane-20121022-00842.jpg
Brisbane-20121022-00843.jpg
Brisbane-20121022-00844.jpg
Brisbane-20121022-00845.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00846.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00847.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00848.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00849.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00850.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00851.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00852.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00853.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00854.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00855.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00856.jpg
Brisbane-20121105-00857.jpg

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
yes, all has matured in the tank, plants are very green and I am having to cut them back (that is why they appear very bushy. The roots now help to stabolise the mud and reduce incidence of burrow collapse.

Reactions: MTG

Dr. Schell

The Fuckin' Doc
Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
the archer grew too large for the tank and I could not ethically justify keepoing it in such cramped conditions (during the low tide pahse). Archer fish are relatively large fish (as adults) and have the potential to grow in excess of 15cm long.