Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Vp's 6x2x2
Introduction:
Hi all. I am currently in the process of setting up my new reef tank. It has been a very long time coming, 9 years to be exact. Well since i moved out of home I have always wanted to build a new setup and finally after settling into my new home for a few years, i have an area in the home to fill!​
So, I recently purchased the tank and spent the last few days getting the plumbing and power sorted. I worked on the sump today and have lots to go.​
Im hoping to get it all ready for filling by next weekend so will keep posting pics up as I progress.​

Reefing Since:
I owned a 4x2x2 approx 9 years ago, trickle filter setup, fluro's, and a tiny no brand skimmer from memory. Lasted 2 years before it sprung a leak and pulled it all down.​
Since then alot has changed and i have spent the last couple of months researching and learning lots of new things.​

System Objectives:
I want a relatively low maintenance setup, so im running a dosing unit and a Tunze Osmolator to begin with and will see how that goes.​
Also im looking at a 'less is more' scenario, I dont want to make the tank too cluttered with rock/coral everywhere.(That didn't happen :)) About 80kg of live rock will be used in the main display.​
Aquascaping will be the challenging part.​

Type of reef:
Im aiming at a mixed reef, LPS, SPS etc;​

Display System:

Initial Fill Date:
August 2011​

Display Tank Dimensions:
6x2x2

Display Lighting:
3 x Radion XR30's​

Stand:
Custom Cabinet/Hood painted White.

Hood or Rimless:
Hood

Sump Design:
Custom 4ft long x17 inch wide x18 inch. Skimmer section, DSB section, Refugium section and Return section.

Filtration:
Vertex Alpha 200 Skimmer​
DSB​
Refugium with Miracle Mud.​
Octopus Nitrate reactor running NP Biobellets​
Octopus Phosphate Reactor running ROWA Phos​
Twist 40w UV​

Support systems:

ASW: Tropic Marin Bioactif Salt​

Display Water circulation: 2 x Tunze 6105's on Multicontroller​

Return Pump: Eheim Compact 5000​

Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200​

Evaporation Top Up: Tunze Osmolator​

Chemical additions:
Mag, ALk, Calc - Randies Recipe​
Zeovit - Coral Vitalizer, Biomate, Amino Acids, Coral Snow, Pohl's Extra and K-Balance.

Heres a few pics of the progress so far,​
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4639.jpg
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4640.jpg
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4637.jpg
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4636.jpg
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4634.jpg
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4632.jpg

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
:welcome Looks great! What fish are you looking to put in that beauty?
I definetly plan on keeping 4 tangs, Yellow, purple, naso and hopefully an achilles but will see later on. I will also add a pair of clowns (nemo's for the mrs).
I would'nt mind a rare wrasse or too as well. Will look at it gradually as the system matures.

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
I definetly plan on keeping 4 tangs, Yellow, purple, naso and hopefully an achilles but will see later on. I will also add a pair of clowns (nemo's for the mrs).
I would'nt mind a rare wrasse or too as well. Will look at it gradually as the system matures.
sounds good although its not a suitable size tank for a naso or achilles,
any others in mind?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
only other one would be a Blue or power blue.
blue tang?
all the tangs need relativly large setups but you would be able to keep the blue in there untill it started getting very large, powder blue in that size setup would be rather agressive.

do any of the angels interest you?

blue tang would be fine as long as you don't have many other big fish. Purple tang is the way to go ;) I don't recommend the leds for the fuge as they suck when it comes to growing macro... Go to hamens electrical and get a weatherproof 14watt fitting and chuck that over the sump... :cool:

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
blue tang?
all the tangs need relativly large setups but you would be able to keep the blue in there untill it started getting very large, powder blue in that size setup would be rather agressive.

do any of the angels interest you?
Maybe a Blue face angel as i have ready people having success with them in reef tanks.

I like the little flame angels but hear they can nip at corals. I kept a Blue tang in my old 4ft setup for 2 years and didn't have an issue.

VaultBoy

Jul 10, 2011
Gawler, S.A.
I love flame angels and have heard many a contradictory story about them and their hunger for corals.... Now I cant be sure about getting one as there is no straight answer about them eating/nipping at corals.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Some more progress today.

Heres a shot of the Refugium LED light installed

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4645.jpg

Filled up the main display tank today and heres a shot with the moon light on. Left an inch before the overflow as the sump wont be ready till tuesday to operate (Making sure silicone is fully set right). Hopefully the Live rock will be in on Wednesday or thursday.

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4652.jpg

MP60's working, keeping the salt mixing and water moving. These things are awesome, only drawback is their slightly noisy. Hopefully the Mrs is able to sleep tonight, lol.

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4656.jpg

Luke

Jul 11, 2011
Launceston
I assume your going to raise that light a bit more yet ?
If not , Just test how high the water goes in the sump when the power goes off .
As for LED and macro , If you get the right colour spectrum it should be ok , After all they do grow...... .....Well ................Other things with LED's nowadays Just using a lot of the red spectrum .

So I've heard anyway . But i could be wrong .