Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
i will see how the fuge light goes first, if i have no luck i will definetly be replacing it. The height is adjustable so will have to see how high once the water goes in.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Ordered my miracle mud for the sump today and some nice Aragalive West Carribean Reef sand to add to the main display.
Hopefully it will be here by thursday/friday. Live rock has been delayed to the end of next week, so hoping it gets here then..

Jonny Glover

Jul 12, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Ordered my miracle mud for the sump today and some nice Aragalive West Carribean Reef sand to add to the main display.
Hopefully it will be here by thursday/friday. Live rock has been delayed to the end of next week, so hoping it gets here then..
miracle mud is messy, so when you place it in the sump let it settle and don't run the water through it. The mud is good stuff as long as you have a good amount in there it will be very reliable. When you aqua-scape your tank, try to allow as much flow around the bas of the rocks. ( This shouldn't be a problem with the mp60's)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
how long do you advise to let the miracle mud settle before i run the water through it?

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
you wouldnt want the mud going to waist and getting sucked in by your return pump. i would just wait untill it is visualy settled and slowly up the flow through the sump. :)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Finally I have had a chance to fill it up today. Got my DSB going at 5inched atm, may add more later on. I have approx 1.5inch of miracle Mud going as well and added 2 bags of Aragalive West Caribbean to my main tank. (Beautiful substrate, i highly recommend it!).

Also got my Tunze auto top off going, very nice unit.

Some things that im contemplating,
-Getting rid of the Vortech's and running some Tunze 6105's instead. They are too noisy for my liking.
-Upgrading my LED's to Vertex or Pacific Sun.
-Swapping out the Eheim 5000 to a Aquamedic 3500, again the noise factor.

Heres a pic of the sump working,
ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4687_1.jpg

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Yeah, i need some Macro asap. Anyone have any ideas where i can grab some in Melbourne?

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
The sump looks great :). I would try and lift your return pipe out of the water if you can as it will just become another source of salt creep.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Finally got some live rock in the tank!

I did not want an aquascaped wall look to my tank so i created a small wall on the left which i want to cover with zoo's, a middle island with a cave in the middle for fish to hide (which i want to add some sps all over) and a little stack to the right for balance which will house sps/lps corals.

Now to wait for the cycle to finish.

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_photo.jpg

Looks good man, its balanced out well :) is their good waterflow behind the rocks and no deadspots? When you get the tunzes their heaps beast for turbelent waterflow.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
thanks. The flow is excellent with the MP60's, seems like there are no dead spots. Running 4 Tunzes should be even better, and quiter ;)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Thought i might do an update.

Tank has cycled and i added my first new friends, fresh out of quarantine.

Also changed the MP60's to Tunze 6105's and its soooo much quieter. Will eventually add 1 or 2 more on the back wall.

I redone the aquascaping too, i like it much better now. Cant wait till i get it full or coral.

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4779.jpg

ai804.photobucket.com_albums_yy323_visionplay_IMG_4794.jpg

MagicJ

Jul 11, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
What settings do you have the 6105's on?? What are you thoughts on 2 in a 4x2x2 - I just can't decide :confused:

I like the scape.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
I have it set on Pulse mode, 40-80% on one of them and 60-100% on the other. They flow further than the MP60's did but don't cover anywhere near the width.

2 x 6105's will be perfect in a 4x2x2, they are quiet and have heaps of flow. If i have a choice on controller i would buy the PC version as it can be updated via firmware. This is great as the newer firmware ramps up the speed on pulsing alot softer. Its not too bad on the main controller either but a little softer would be nicer. It's really only noticable when you set your pumps to ramps up from 0-20% range.

i may add a 6055 nano on my back wall facing the centre as that is where my SPS will be kept.

Jonny Glover

Jul 12, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Maybe play the wait game shane till the new ones come out with a wider flow. You could see if you can get one second hand one for a good price and then get the new ones :)