Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Vp's 8 footer
Introduction:.
After dabbling in the deep end with my recently shut down 6ft tank, time has come to build my dream tank. Well the biggest i could go without the wife leaving me.
Reefing Since:
1998 - Had a 4ft tank for a couple of year and got back into the hobby last year (2011)
System Objectives:
Using German tanks as my inspiration, id like to achieve close to those results with thriving SPS corals and a mix of Rarer Fish species.
Type of reef:
Heavy on the SPS side with Ricordea and Euphyllia Gardens. Zoa garden will be nice but im planning on keeping a Gold Flake and possibly Conspicous Angels so well see how we go.
Display System:
2440mm Long x 765mm Wide x 730mm high
Front, two sides and bracing done in Starfire glass
Polished edges on the Front side of the glass.
Initial Fill Date:
TBA
Display Tank Dimensions:
2440mm Long x 765mm Wide x 730mm high
Display Lighting:
Will be a Mix of LED and T5 Lighting. Would love to go Metal Halide and T5 but costs of power as we know is ridiculous.
Stand:
Custom Made Cabinet finished in 70% gloss Two Pak White.
Hood or Rimless:
Hooded
Sump Design:
3 section custom made to suite skimmer, option of refugium, Zeovit Reactor and return.
Filtration:
Skimmer, Live rock, Zeovit.
Support systems:
NSW or ASW:
ASW - Tropic Marin Pro Salt
Display Water circulation:
4 x Tunze 6205 Pumps with Multicontroller
Return Pump:
Waveline DC-10000.
Skimmer:
Royal Exclusive Super Marine 250
Evaporation Top Up:
Tunze Osmo
Chemical additions:
Zeovit
Calcium Addition:
Randies
Alkilinity Addition:
Randies
Magnesium Addition:
Randies

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
So the journey begins.

My cabinet finally arrived today so i thought i will start my Journal.

Cabinet was custom made to my measurements and finished off in two pak white with a 70% gloss to it.
Big thanks to David at Two Pak city in Moorabbin, his workmanship is amazing, please go see him if you need a cabinet sprayed! :)

The tank has gone into production today and will be approx 2 weeks, cant wait. Anyone free on a weekday willing to help with the lift, your help will be much appreciated, please pm me if so :).

Heres some pics of the bottom section of the cabinet, all doors off.
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8298_7822315066_607c5c2bd7_b.jpg
DSC00802 by vpreef, on Flickr
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8292_7822311842_0629bf7640_b.jpg
DSC00807 by vpreef, on Flickr

Heres a pic of the hood with the doors on.
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8431_7822318512_a72e2359e2_b.jpg
DSC00806 by vpreef, on Flickr

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I was waiting for this to start!!

Cabinet looks good, much like the first ;)

You know im there for the lifting :)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
I want to see this rock formation :p how is it comming? If u need a hand lifting il help just inbox me what day and il see if I'm free
Comming along well, will post up some pics once the rock is in the tank.

thanks for the offers to help, I will Pm you guys when i know the day and time. :)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
I definitely want to see this tank progress, the stand itself looks awesome so I can only imagine the eventual tank. And I have seen the candy you have in that frag tank ready to go in ...

Depending on the day I might be able to help lift too - post in here and I'll see what I can do.

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Guys just a heads up. Got word today that the tank should be ready for next Friday 7th of September.

This will be confirmed on Monday/Tuesday next week.

Im guessing the time will be during the afternoon sometime, followed by a BBQ and some quiet drinks :)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Sh!te I might have to miss the BBQ on thursday and see if i can get the friday night off instead! Not sure if I will get the ok though :rolleyes

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Guys just a heads up. Got word today that the tank should be ready for next Friday 7th of September.

This will be confirmed on Monday/Tuesday next week.

Im guessing the time will be during the afternoon sometime, followed by a BBQ and some quiet drinks :)
Unlikely for me unfortunately. The following Friday would have been a goer, but this one I know I will be busy with work.

Sounds like you have a few volunteers anyway - nice move mentioning the BBQ and drinks!

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
would love to come and help although im not in vic lol but i will be from the 22nd-23rd (masssive trip) haha have an aunties 40th