Tank Journal Archive

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
A little more progress today. It is now ready to be filled.

Pic of the whole sump area. - Please excuse the spaghetti wiring, I could never be an Electrician :D

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8315_7969233050_47af351b23_b.jpg
DSC00849 by vpreef, on Flickr

Zeovit Reactor and Waveline DC pump installed.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8175_7969229014_590107264b_b.jpg
DSC00850 by vpreef, on Flickr

RO top up area with Tunze Osmolator Installed.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8447_7969225134_07c31c3424_b.jpg
DSC00852 by vpreef, on Flickr

Dosing Drums and Tunze Power supply's mounted.

afarm9.staticflickr.com_8314_7969257202_06df67f6bb_b.jpg
DSC00851 by vpreef, on Flickr

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks Ken.

I have my 200l drum full. Still have 1000l to go ;)

Im not going to start filling until i get the acrylic over the weir which should be Wednesday night.

Id say it would take approx 5 days to fill it up off my Ro unit.

The filter sock idea came from the headaches i had always putting them over the drain pipes, was a pita! This should make accessing them much easier :)

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
Sump pics look all nice and clean..............disgusting! Its supposed to be full of greeny yellowy slime and stuff :)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Progress update.

Finally the camera has charged after 7 days :p.

I have filled up the tank, started on Thursday and finished yesterday morning.

1400Litres of RO and 2 buckets of Tropic Marin Pro salt and the salinity sits nicely at 1.025.

I added 3 litres of Zeovit to the reator, 140ml of Zeostart 3, 70ml of Zeobak, 35ml of Sponge power and 10kg of live rock to kick off the 14 day cycle.

I tested the parameters today, a little ammonia, calcium at 420, mag at 1300 and Alk at 4.8!! wtf?:confused: I think the Germans forgot to add the alk to the batch of salt, must have been a friday or they ran out of Bi-carb soda at the supermarket :D . Anyhow i got the doser straight onto it and slowly bringing it up to 7-8dkh.

My skimmer was not broken in so its constantly flooding itself which is annoying, though its getting longer to do it each time. Stupid me should have vinegar bathed it.

Pic of the skimmer lid off.
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8316_7995518996_c430e4a843_b.jpg
DSC00858[1] by vpreef, on Flickr

Pic of the Zeovit reactor
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8454_7995521258_cb3f1959ae_b.jpg
DSC00857[1] by vpreef, on Flickr

And finally a FTS, nothing really to look at yet. I did remove a large piece of base rock and replaced with 6 smaller bits which im much happier with :). Only running on 150w of t5's in this pic.
afarm9.staticflickr.com_8306_7995509625_fa8a5106cc_b.jpg
DSC00856[1] by vpreef, on Flickr

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Love the little bommie on the right.... true bonsai!! Informal upright style, nice thick nebari lol

More PICS keen to see the aglae growth lol

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Love the aquascape, whats the plan for livestock?
Thanks Alex.

My planned live stock so far

Achillies Tang
3 x Yellow Tangs
8 x Bartlett Anthias
Pair Gold striped Maroon clownfish
Goldflake Angelfish
Crosshatch trigger male

I will see how i go with these first and may add more.

Sarg, The algae looks great, come by and see it. Pics dont do it justice ;)

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
What a dream tank, although my dreams would turn into nightmares thinking of the cost to coral scape it ! Whats your plans for coral ?

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
What a dream tank, although my dreams would turn into nightmares thinking of the cost to coral scape it ! Whats your plans for coral ?
hey Rob,

I currently have approx 60 different SPS growing in my frag tank. I will be transporting these across when the tank is ready.
Approx 90% of them are going to be growing out from frags :). This will be painful and will look bear for a long time in such a big tank. But I think the long term success should be better and cheaper this way. I really enjoy watching corals grow from frags into colonies.

I will also be focusing on Ricordeas in the tank as well, trying to get as many rare ones i can find.

I was going to go heavy on the Zoanthids initially but have changed my mind. I will probably keep around 5 or so colonies, mainly Paly's in there as Im going to be adding an Angelfish. I will keep my collection of Zoos going in my Frag tank only.

The Tank is still cycling, day 10 in the Zeovit cycle today. Its taking a little longer due to the amount of Base rock vs Live rock.
I have only a little amount of Ammonia left and the nitrates are now starting to climb. Should'nt be too long now :D

Synodontis

Aug 1, 2011
Melton, Victoria
How are you finding the eovit cycle compared to a normal cycle vpreef?
Cant wait to see this come to life, a little bare at the stat maybe, but well worth the end result. Already having so many frags at least you know what you will be introducing into the tank, hitch hikers will be keep to a min. :)

vpreef

Jul 28, 2011
Hey Synodontis,

The cycle seems to be alot faster, especially for using base rock. I know Jacks tank at williamstown aquarium took around 2+ months to cycle off base rock.
I got mega algae growth at day 10 which is great and my Ammonia levels are dropping off. Nitrites are a little high and Nitrates even higher so its definitely nearing the end of the cycle. Im guessing a few more days until the nitrites should be gone.

I chose base rock mainly for the ease of aquascaping a big tank and no need to rush it. Its also good as you mentioned avoiding unwanted pests.
Im sure some will still make it into the tank via frags etc but i will be doing my best to quarantine all fish and corals before entering the main tank.

Main thing i want to avoid is flat worms, aptasia and those dreaded majano anemones. I saw someones tank 2 nights ago that probably had a plague of over 50 of them spreading everywhere and was not a pretty sight.

Rob

Apr 26, 2012
I am disappointed I did not really know the difference between live and base rock 3 years ago, maybe google was not my friend however there is so much talk about using live rock it just seemed the thing to do. I setup my fathers tank last year with base rock and it has worked out really well. Even though had to wait probably 3-4 months before the rock looked like it was alive again. Great scape by the way :)