Tank Journal Archive

Apr 20, 2013
I like games :) but i stay away from forums,etc for my own mental health :p

good water + good food = good fish. and the first weeks of handling within the trade is also key. your guy has come from a great wholesaler. i use him myself.

Goldens and collins are about the same for me with feeding.

A darker tank. Very low foot traffic. And a lot of hiding places. I start with frozen mysis. Crushed with my fingers. And leave it in there for an hour or so before removing. Sometimes you will need to start with live brine. Then work upto mysis. Once eating well. Usually a couple of days. I add a hufa/amino acid supplement at 2 drops per cube. And feed the cube over about 4 hours. This has always helped with weight gain for me. From there is you haven't already start adding garlic to the food also. After a week or 2 of this you can start soaking a good quality pellet in garlic and slowly introduce them to it. After a couple of attempts they will find that the pellets just as tasty and your basically home free.

sounds like the Centropyge aurantonotus :) has a bit of gill and eye fluke. common on angels. i use prazi for these quite successfully but even if it looks to be gone, always re-dose on day 14. if you don't it can pop back up again.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
I like games :) but i stay away from forums,etc for my own mental health :p

good water + good food = good fish. and the first weeks of handling within the trade is also key. your guy has come from a great wholesaler. i use him myself.

Goldens and collins are about the same for me with feeding.

A darker tank. Very low foot traffic. And a lot of hiding places. I start with frozen mysis. Crushed with my fingers. And leave it in there for an hour or so before removing. Sometimes you will need to start with live brine. Then work upto mysis. Once eating well. Usually a couple of days. I add a hufa/amino acid supplement at 2 drops per cube. And feed the cube over about 4 hours. This has always helped with weight gain for me. From there is you haven't already start adding garlic to the food also. After a week or 2 of this you can start soaking a good quality pellet in garlic and slowly introduce them to it. After a couple of attempts they will find that the pellets just as tasty and your basically home free.

sounds like the Centropyge aurantonotus :) has a bit of gill and eye fluke. common on angels. i use prazi for these quite successfully but even if it looks to be gone, always re-dose on day 14. if you don't it can pop back up again.
yap I know a lot about the brain damage from getting caught up in fish forums but I would not worry about It too much... leaders need not fear , Dave thank you so much for the reply. I'll bump the amino in the next feed, this fish was not taking the prazi med too well, but have both flubendazole and prazi on hand. He is strong and eating well. His energy level is still great so have high hopes yet.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
He smashed down the amino infused brine shrimp- what a champ. Still flicking the gills but looking strong.

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
If it's not a Flameback, WTF is it? Joo gots me stumped mang. I've seen quite a few colour variations coming out of Kenya in recent times.

Dave, I stay away from American and European forums as well. Once people figure out that I'm a wholesaler my inbox blows up with can you sell me this, can you sell me that? I say sure as long as you can place a $1500, have a major airport nearby and one of my customers isn't in the immediate area I'll sell to you. That generally puts an end to getting pestered about sales, lol.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
If it's not a Flameback, WTF is it? Joo gots me stumped mang. I've seen quite a few colour variations coming out of Kenya in recent times.

Dave, I stay away from American and European forums as well. Once people figure out that I'm a wholesaler my inbox blows up with can you sell me this, can you sell me that? I say sure as long as you can place a $1500, have a major airport nearby and one of my customers isn't in the immediate area I'll sell to you. That generally puts an end to getting pestered about sales, lol.
Tomado, Tomatoe Flameback Fireball.
I guess they are all the same thing.
I've always thought of the African ones as Flamebacks. The Brazilian ones in my books as a kid were called fireballs - and that to me was the name and fish to wanted to own one day.
http://www.qualitymarine.com/News/Species-Spotlight/Look-A-Likes:-Fireball-or-Flameback-(06/19/13)

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Solidarité
Oct 22, 2014
Bel Air
Yea, Brazilians are called Fireball angels. Brazil is a strange place to deal with for marine specimens which is why they only come in every 6 months or there abouts.

slin1977

Jul 13, 2011
Sydney
Well the good news is the fish looks bright in colour this morning. He is swimming around comfortable and looks like a different fish. In the few mins I got to feed and observe , there were no flicking of the gills.
Looks like the amino gave him a boost and the meds might be working.