Reef Discussion

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Why???
What's with all the bullshit between Facebook reef shop pages? Why does it need to happen they all get the same shit most of the time! Do they actually think they are funny,cool maybe they think they are superior or feel a touch inferior? The little fanboys and or girls are just as bad if not worse.

My .02c

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Lol, amazing isn't it. I'm guessing they feel threatened, It shows their true colours.

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
I saw one post on FB last night that was a touch catty, but (how do I say this correctly?) Kudos to places that highlight when other shops are ripping people off, or exaggerating the colours of a coral.

I have some loyalty to the shops that have done right by me as a consumer, but I'll still *like* or *lol* if something one of the other shops posts appeals to me.

I treat them as I treat friends' posts in my newsfeed: if it catches my attention, I *like* it. If not, I keep scrolling *shrug*

Each to their own, I suppose. You can always hide posts or unlike them if they're giving you the shits. Wish my sister would learn that re: my ex-husband LOL

TheJordans

Mar 29, 2013
Sunbury
Dear me! Didn't know about that place!

I think the intention behind the page *could* be admirable. ... if it weren't for the nastiness!! *shock*

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
LOL this is why I rarely visit certain forums anymore and have got rid of most LFS and OLFS off my FB page. Don't really care for any of it, I just go on down to my LFS whenever I feel like buying something and only buy what I see fit to buy.

So much of this is pushed on by the keeping up with the joneses mentality a lot of people have in this hobby, every body has to have the best of the best so they can show it off on their tank journals to the applaud of others. Even though I have only had a tank for 2 years now so many fads have already come and gone, scolly, rics, gold hammers

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
These genius's seriously think that their anonymity is secure cause they click a few check boxes on Facebook, LMAO, Belgrave Heights, LMFAO. BTW guess all you (Including myself) who purchase from the Ultra Corals Australia group buy are and I quote "dumb, rich reefers who are not educated". BTW, I wonder which online LFS doesn't list $$$ (to be judged???) on their Super Ultra, So lucky to have stock. TOOLS

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Still going on lol I wonder what faceless bitches are behind this FB page. What a bunch of gutless wonders.

https://www.facebook.com/OFCaustralia?ref=stream

edit.... dont get me wrong all good pointing stuff out but it just seems to be certain places copping all the heat
I am going to start a Facebook group. WWTMTOTHaustralia. Wankers With Too Much Time On Their Hands Australia.

This tool would be the first member.

Seriously, do these people know nothing about business? Let me spell it out for them ... businesses are not charities.

holly

Jul 10, 2013
Melbourne
I am going to start a Facebook group. WWTMTOTHaustralia. Wankers With Too Much Time On Their Hands Australia.

This tool would be the first member.

Seriously, do these people know nothing about business? Let me spell it out for them ... businesses are not charities.
Exactly, if people will pay 3x (or 10) the amount because of a name and some flashy photos (or other reasons) then that's a successful business model. Putting prices way beyond those of others gives some customers the impression that they are getting the equivalent quality/rarity/colour/whatever and it works. It's an exchange that is agreed upon the moment you hand over your cash. If you're willing to pay the price then everyone wins.

That said, it's hard to have your finger on the pulse of pricing unless you devote a decent amount of time to research and look around. That's when I would feel ripped off if I purchased something then found out it was marked up 50-70% compared to my LFS. That, and I'm a tightarse student so I have to stick to pretty low priced corals and equipment.

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Exactly, if people will pay 3x (or 10) the amount because of a name and some flashy photos (or other reasons) then that's a successful business model. Putting prices way beyond those of others gives some customers the impression that they are getting the equivalent quality/rarity/colour/whatever and it works. It's an exchange that is agreed upon the moment you hand over your cash. If you're willing to pay the price then everyone wins.

That said, it's hard to have your finger on the pulse of pricing unless you devote a decent amount of time to research and look around. That's when I would feel ripped off if I purchased something then found out it was marked up 50-70% compared to my LFS. That, and I'm a tightarse student so I have to stick to pretty low priced corals and equipment.
I think of corals a bit like footy cards, buttons, coins, fossils or anything else that people collect. If you can get it at every LFS or OLFS going, then of course it's not going to be as valuable. If you see a piece you like* that is not available anywhere else, is rare, or is just not seen very often, then it is worth more.

*important because rare doesn't always mean valuable - a one of a kind poo brown scoly is going to be worth fuck all.

Some of the new premium stock available at the likes of UCA, Elite Corals, and others, I haven't seen before (and I look closely, every day pretty much for the last couple of years), and they are stunning. To me that means the price can be whatever the seller wants it to be. If it's too high, people won't buy. If it's high but someone really wants the piece, and they pay it, then good on the seller.

For example ... zoas. Who can point me at a seller, right now, who will sell me a Soprano? A Purple Hornet? Or a My Clementine? Or something equally as stunning and unusual? I know they are out there ... most people that own them wouldn't be interested in the $$s to sell them. So if something like this comes up for sale, I say it is fair game. Someone put a true Soprano zoanthid up for sale and I would probably pay whatever they wanted for it ... and be happy. If I would pay $50 for a polyp, why would the owner charge less, just to make it 'fair'?

Same goes for UCA - sure they have some items that, as someone who does look at these things closely, I believe are way overpriced (some of the morphs in particular). If nobody sees the value, then they will go unsold. Some of the pieces are awesome value - stuff you don't see at the LFS or on Facebook sales. 90% of the shit sold on Facebook is just that, shit - particularly a lot of the specials and auctions.

Anyway, bee out of bonnet ...