Tank Journal Archive

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
Well it has been ages since I have looked/ updated my TJ so thought I should pull my finger out and do something about it.

Wishing I had left my finger where it was now though as I had forgot how nice the tank looked back then:cry Now im just kinda depressed.

Oh well, A couple of months after my last update I received a bad batch of NSW which caused some major dramas which over the next 6 months caused me to lose the majority of my SPS.:banghead
Despite all tests coming back good I just kept losing stuff which was really frustrating to the point I had considered pulling the tank down and starting again. I know believe the bad batch of water i got contained a certain strain of bacteria that the bio pellets kept going strong and was getting excessive bacterial slime which apart from stinking the house out was suffocating my corals.
I took the pellets off and added a miracle mud sand bed and 2 days later I was getting colour back into my remaining sps that had been brown for months:D
I have also replaced my T5s with 2 Mitras LEDS
It has been about 6 weeks now since removing the pellets and despite a initial nutrient spike the mud and macro are doing a great job at keeping nutrients where I want them.
The majority of corals have regained their colours and have started growing again , so hopefully down the track the tank will regain some of its former glory.
During the crap period I took the opportunity to do a major re aquascape giving me a more open style scape.
Any way heres a few catch up pics

Tank at one of its worst stages :(
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_0042_zps6a923b01.jpg

How it is today

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_K70_9052_zpsfa580ac5.jpg

FRONT
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_K70_9086_zps499688f5.jpg

LHS
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_K70_9100_1_zps68f16591.jpg

RHS
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_K70_9096_zpsb8405662.jpg

And some random coral pics

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P6240019_zps3c350fdf.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P6240013_zps80348320.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P6240011_zps40cb92eb.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P5260041_zpse37223aa.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P5260035_zps9ef0d91b.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P5260033_zpsed93d724.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P5260044_zps98eea69c.jpg
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_P6240010_zpsb2c0b053.jpg

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Sounds like a traumatic time - that shot of the tank at its worst vs the one on the previous page sums it up. But starting to take shape again now and as ever some really nice pieces of coral in there, I am sure in time it will be back to or past its former glories.

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
looks amazing...shame about the bad luck...you sure it was the water and not the switch over to the mitras' ?

how are you liking the mitras' they are by far the best lighs ive seen/used love them

anyway looking good mate looking forward to some more updates

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
nice tank keep up the good work
Thanks mate
Sounds like a traumatic time - that shot of the tank at its worst vs the one on the previous page sums it up. But starting to take shape again now and as ever some really nice pieces of coral in there, I am sure in time it will be back to or past its former glories.
Yeah was pretty crap.I had forgotten how much stuff I lost over the months. Good news is all fish are still fine

looks amazing...shame about the bad luck...you sure it was the water and not the switch over to the mitras' ?

how are you liking the mitras' they are by far the best lighs ive seen/used love them

anyway looking good mate looking forward to some more updates
Yeah defiantly the water as a couple of other locals had issues. I was blaming the lights at one stage and put the T5s back on but continued having issues.
Yeah out of all the LEDS I have seen they seem to give the best look and results but I still think I was getting better colour with the T5s and probably would run them if it wasn'tfor the cost factor, but I do love the shimmer

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
Just went with the skimmer running 24/7 with no bio balls and 24/7 lighting for macro
used about 14 kg of ecosystems mud
ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_K70_9150_zps886268c8.jpg

ai218.photobucket.com_albums_cc211_zeebull_K70_9149_zps60a326c8.jpg

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
looks very lively...are the big shrimp in the pics the pepps? are they breeding in there or just how many you added

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
And yes the ones in the pic are pepps.
They are a lot easier to round up now with the chaoto in there as they tend to get tangled up a bit

Kiwi

May 14, 2013
Amazing Tank mate. Looks even better in person. Just 1 Q

I see in your tank that you used to use Vortech powerheads why did you change back to the hydor/tunze powerheads ???

And thanks again for the chaeto it is taking over my sump I am amazed at how fast this stuff is growing. I should have a good 2-3 serves available in the next week ish just want to be sure it is thriving.

zeebull

Apr 24, 2012
Toowoomba
Amazing Tank mate. Looks even better in person. Just 1 Q

I see in your tank that you used to use Vortech powerheads why did you change back to the hydor/tunze powerheads ???

And thanks again for the chaeto it is taking over my sump I am amazed at how fast this stuff is growing. I should have a good 2-3 serves available in the next week ish just want to be sure it is thriving.
Thanks mate
The main reason I changed is due to the size and rock placement of the tank. I wanted pumps I could direct.
Was planning on going Tunze but decided to give the Jebebo wp40 a go and so far they are great pumps.
Yeah the chaeto grows so fast, did you say you ran a MM system too?. what are youre nutrient levels like? and have they changed since using the chaeto?

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
Thanks mate
The main reason I changed is due to the size and rock placement of the tank. I wanted pumps I could direct.
Was planning on going Tunze but decided to give the Jebebo wp40 a go and so far they are great pumps.
Yeah the chaeto grows so fast, did you say you ran a MM system too?. what are youre nutrient levels like? and have they changed since using the chaeto?
so not so much for lack of performance but more so because they allow you to direct the flow where you want it?

Kiwi

May 14, 2013
Thanks mate
Yes im running MM. But I havn't seen much of a change since using the chaeto but my nutrient level was low before the chaeto. But with the chaeto thriving I would take a guess by that the nutrients are lower. I have been using the Hanna phos checker and getting readings of 0.01 -0.03 depending on how much I have feed the fish and what has been feed to the fish. Hey I would like to catch up with you again and pick your brain. I have a lot more questions and a new build idea that I need heap with.