Tank Journal Archive

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
It sucks being there on a thusrday night not being able to buy anything everyone else is haggling over not because of the light either just my tank needs a bit of tweaking. The last two sps I got from you guys are still going strong though.

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Agreed, def on the right track though. ATI's are tried and tested with proven results. I second your descision cause I just put my ati order In tonight :)

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Nah I went Sunpower. Hybrid would be nice but I think is overkill on a 45cm deep tank and as far as i know PM identical to SP except for qty of fans and body material. So I opted for the SP mainly cause of them being lightweight. I suppose it's what suits the required needs hey.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I think id be pretty happy with a standard powermodule. You can turn two bulbs on first to wake everything up then the rest can kick on. The hybrid would be nice for an led start to the day but from what john says the shimmer is fairly overpowered by the t5s plus once everything else is done that extra $1300 plus gets me some good acro lol

Joshwaaaa

Jul 22, 2011
I'm still a bit iffy on the hybrids, yes they put out a crap load of par but not much point in par if the spectrum isnt there. Eitherway im going sunpower due to cost and me not having much play money

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Im guessing you get the spectrum from the globes the leds I guess are there to give you a soft start up and a bit of supplimental POP :) You guys are selling me on the standard..... but then next time I see @vpreef 's tank i'll be like dang gotta get a hybrid lol

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
Don't get me wrong the hybrids are the bees knees. No doubt. In my personal situation, I'd have to dim the power down massively so it like driving a Ferrari at 40 clicks. The leds are controllable and do cover a gamit of spectrum (not just whites) but i would think that the T5 cover the spectrum part whilst the LED's give the omph. As far as I know and if someone knows better please jump in but disable SP and PM are identical (controler, ballasts, reflectors) except for body and fan to bulb ratio. The LEDs

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
My other drama is hanging the thing! Im only renting.... but .... there is a small hole in the roof above my tank anyway so i'll sweet talk them into letting me put a couple more lol

Salty

Jun 6, 2012
That's why SP works for me. My tank is rimless and I don't wanna hang so weight is an issue. I've held a PM Hybrid and those mothers are heavy. In you case though, nothing a little Selleys can fix ;) I was also thinking of painting the unit cause I would prefer black, what u think?

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Cheers @reeftank and @leodb89 nothin to report on lol just cruzin along atm haven't brought anything for nearly 2 months. Still waiting for upgrades.

I pushed the ato out of the way and grabbed the dosing pump out of the cupboard today to see where I could mount it.

As soon as I get my new skimmer and pellet reactor i'll redo my sump and incorporate the ato as well. Once that is done ill work on changing my lights unless someone buys that first and throws my plans out of wack :)

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
I'd like the hybrid if money permitted. I'll let you know on Wednesday lol
The other upgrades are more important atm as the light is doing fine.

Sarg

Dec 11, 2011
Cheltenham
Did some tests tonight cause something in the tank wasn't quite right.....

Cal 390 Red Sea pro
Mag 1360-1400 Red Sea pro
Alk 140 on the Hanna usually keep it around the 150
No3 1ppm which is good it was around 2-3
Phos .35 bingo :(

I'll test the phos again tomorrow just to double check. I had it down hovering around .04 using the lanth and slowly weaned off that and back onto zeostart, and bak. After 2 or so weeks I tested and it was still .04 and ill be the first to admit I have tested again for around 3 weeks and I had been feeding sups a bit heavier as I thought the zeo was handling it! It's brought the nitrates down but not the phos.

Assumption is the...... ;)

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
So are you going back to the lanth for a while?

I'll have to try and pop around this weekend, bring you those other zoas you reserved ;)

leodb89

Mar 6, 2012
Sydney
pardon me but lanth just seems to be like an illegal substance when i hear it or read it lol

does anyone have info on if ive never been able to read up on it

SLR5000

Feb 25, 2012
DAM!!!! I haven't been on here in months and DAM your tank is BEAUTIFUL
I remember when you only had the tank on the stand and that was the last time I read this post till now
I hope my 2x18x18 turns out this good