Tank Journal Archive

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
18" Starphire Cube.
Introduction:

Michael here, new to reefing, i have kept FW tanks for around 2 years now and have always wanted to take on the SW challenge, i bought my tank almost 12months ago but wasnt able to set it up as i knew i would be moving house numerous times that year, finally the time has come to set it up!

Reefing Since: January 2013

System Objectives: To create simplistic clean looking nano that demands your attention, with one centre piece coral and a select few to compliment it.

Type of reef: Mixed

Display System:

Initial Fill Date: 1st Feb 2013.

Display Tank Dimensions: 18" x 18".

Display Lighting: Illumagic - Blaze series M-45s.

Hood or Rimless: Hoodless & Rimless.

Sump Design: 2 Chamber sump with bubble trap.

Filtration: Carbon Bag.

Support systems:

NSW or ASW: NSW.

Display Water circulation: MP10-ES.

Return Pump: Eheim compact 1001.

Skimmer: Tunze 9002.

Evaporation Top Up: Manual.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
Once i get some funds together i plan on removing the rock on the right and replacing it with a nice Clam :P
is there anything i should think about adding to my sump? theres not really alot going on in there at the minute

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
Nice! A clam in place of that rock would look great.

Looks like you could fit a media reactor in that sump, run some GFO.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
hey there, i couldnt be happier with the illumagic lights! they are worth every cent IMO, i loved them ever since i saw them on the tanks at bunarong, everything from the sleek sexy legs to the programmeable modes, im able to get it to ram up and down perfectly through out the day, even have different settings for diferent days all programmed into the weekly mode, have you seen these lights in action in person? i read on your TJ your looking into getting a unit @Elias

Elias

Nov 15, 2011
Berwick
yeah, I've seen them in person before, not really in action per say. My mind is pretty much set but it's always good to get other peoples perspective, especially from those who've shelled out for the item. Still a little concerned that I'm not going to get the coverage in my 2ft cube out of one unit but I guess we'll see when the time comes.

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
my tank is 18" and my unit is 45cm and the coverage i get is great with just one, checkout @MTG he has a 2ft cube with illumagics and his tank looks amazing

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
they are great lights @Elias what unit were you thinking over your two foot? either a 30cm or 60cm will do it , id personaly go a 60cm unit like on mine 60x45x45 , but for softys and lps you could get away with hanging a 30cm unit (has the same amount of leds as the 45cm unit but the 60cm has double, just food for thought i had the same 60cm unit over a 3x2x2 and it worked fine only being a 2 foot light!!! )

@MichaelBinns tanks looking sleek mate! rock realy turned out great

Priscacara

Jun 19, 2012
Lara
You could maybe split the rock on the right to make it smaller then put the nicest piece in the same place with the remains in your sump. Reposition the hammer/torch and put your clam in its place that way you still have nice rock and a good view of the clam and hammer . Just a suggestion as there is nothing wrong with the way you have said, I'm constantly looking at my own tanks and redesigning placement in my head :).

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
thanks for the advice @Priscacara i like hearing other peoples opinions and ideas, i will certainly be doing something about that rock on the right weather it be breaking it up or removing the whole thing, maybe even replace it with a piece of live rock to seed for coraline, the hammer is only there for the time being until i make the rock its attatched to smaller and super glue it to the main piece! im the same with this tank i constantly stare at it trying to picture how i want it to look when its all finished :P

MichaelBinns

Jan 20, 2013
Melbourne
poor picture but feeding time for my cleaner wrasse, this was the first fish i purchased as a newbie to the hobbie, didn't do any research at the time as i didn't know any better, but after reading up on them i saw alot of horror stories about how they are hard to keep in home aquariums and often dont feed, im living proof that you shouldnt beleive all you read on the net, not all horror stories you read are true for everyone, yeah he is a picky eater but i found out he has a love for mysis shrimp, but only finely chopped mysis shrimp lol, this is probably my favourate fish now he comes to the top of the tank expecting food every time i go near, when i put my hand in the tank he comes up and cleans my hand, good fun to watch!!

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
When I saw it in your tank I almost said something about it not being suitable for a tank this size and being difficult to get eating. But if it seems happy and is eating well then fair enough, glad it's working out for you =0)

MTG

Jul 10, 2011
Gold Coast
i see these eating every day in my LFS i cant say ive actually seen one there not eating. most the time they die even when they eat that's the problem! best of luck with it! ive had 3 that have all jumped :mad:

chimaera

enjoy the little things
May 13, 2012
Sandringham
yeah i saw that thread but i really dont like the look of it lol
Me either to be honest. I'd only maybe use them overnight or when I wasn't home. I've planning a net top for the smaller tank, primarily because the goby has already carpet surfed twice (luckily both times the wife was home and next to the tank) and has jumped clear of the water 10+ times (straight back in).